Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Odd/Crazy/Stupid People Encounters on the Lake #11091891 09/09/15 02:55 PM
A
Anchorman Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
A
Let's hear about some of your crazy and odd people encounters you have experienced around the lake. If you spend much time at all around lakes everyone knows there are some real characters. For the most part lake people are fun and friendly. But mixed in with all the normal friendly people there is always that guy.

I've told this story several times. This happened when I was a lot younger and a little less forgiving than I am now. But we had a house on Cypress Springs. Often I would load up the parents and take them on site seeing boat rides. We were idling into a cove in an idle speed only area. I had my two future in-laws and my soon to be wife in the boat. We were just looking at all the nice homes enjoying a peaceful boat ride. I had the boat clicked into gear and couldn't go any slower. As we were idling along a man was standing on the end of his dock screaming across the cove at us. I ignored him and idled on into the cove, made my turn around, and idled back out towards the main lake. He was on the end of his dock shaking his fist at us and screaming his head off like an idiot. I figured I better go see what the deal is so I idled over near him. This guy commenced chewing me out for making a wake behind my boat in a no wake zone. I mean he was livid! I tried to calm him down and explain I couldn't go any slower and that it was just a ripple on the water and not a wake. He then started the cussing and told me my boat was a POS if that is as slow as I could go. I mean I literally was idling as slow as I could go. I was amused at first but when he started cussing and telling me my boat was a POS that didn't set well with me or my FIL. My FIL told him surely he had better things to do than to stand out here on his dock cussing at people. While my FIL and he argued I was carefully positioning my boat to where the rear end of my boat was facing him only about 10-15 feet away. I had already tilted my motor up to where the prop was just below the surface. As soon as everything was perfect I let that 200 Merc XRI roar! I punched it and showered him with everything I had. BULLSEYE! I mean that guy was drenched. He just stood there in shock and disbelief for about 3-4 seconds then he just turned around and walked back up the hill to his house. He didn't say a word. I figured we ought to get out of there before he came out with a gun or something. But that was one of those moments I will never forget and I'm sure he won't either.

If it ain't yours don't mess with it!
Need a friendly place to talk hunting? www.talkhunting.com

Re: Odd/Crazy/Stupid People Encounters on the Lake [Re: Anchorman] #11092053 09/09/15 04:00 PM
N
nethingthatbites Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
N
Pick up a new story almost every trip out...many of which fit the "same story different day" category, but some are pretty rare.

Yesterday afternoon I was threatened because I was trying to use the boat ramp...they were mad because they were swimming there. People also get mad when you launch and they're fishing there. Sometimes people just make you maneuver around them and don't move until you are right on top of them or get the trailer in and fire the engine.

Sunday a guy got mad at me when I cut his line to retrieve a lure for him he'd gotten stuck in a tree.

WOT while driver sits in passenger seat prepping rods or whatever he was doing

I've been chewed out for taking somebodies parking spot after launching the boat.

2 separate occasions with stupid game wardens

Lots of ignorant/arse/stupid jet skiers, boarders, other boaters, and dock/property owners

Watched one guy try jumping his boat off in the parking lot...realized his mistake and backed into the water to try again, didn't work...finally realized his kill switch was flipped.

Fat people trying to swim across a lake with no flotation.

People getting stuck on the ramps, cutting in line, taking forever...general cluelessness/obliviousness at ramps.

Seen people cutting trot lines, limb lines, jug lines, etc.

Dumping trash and general carelessness is common.

I've had lures, weights, rocks, etc. thrown at me even when going exceptionally slow and giving as much space as possible from those on shore.

My favorites are the local experts who tell you all sorts of laws/regulations that don't exist along with environmental and lake info that is simply not true.

MAGA
Re: Odd/Crazy/Stupid People Encounters on the Lake [Re: Anchorman] #11092136 09/09/15 04:30 PM
L
lenahorse Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
L
Lake Tawakoni St Park 2 yrs ago: Coming in from fishing when the lake was low to the dock about 200 yds out a man was stuck aground jumped in the water to un stick it, no PFD got the boat free and it floated off with him trying to follow it out he was shoulder deep when we saw him between 2 boats got him towed in as he was too large to pull into the boat, the other boat got his boat, at the ramp his son tried to back the trailer in and could not jackknifing it bad and bent it,I backed it in noticing a wad of cash $100 bills in the floor and a S&W pistol there also, with the low water he needed to tilt the motor and the tilt was out, he loaded it anyway breaking the skeg off, we had to release the pressure valve to get it off the concrete and lift it up, pulled it out and got parked, the man said:::::::::: "Wonder what all that will cost to fix? As I borrowed my neighbor's boat while he was at work !!!!!" The trailer tongue was bent about 15 deg also.

Re: Odd/Crazy/Stupid People Encounters on the Lake [Re: Anchorman] #11093090 09/09/15 11:01 PM
Gamblinman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Lake Fork 154 ramp...I won't speak any names, but he guides out of a pontoon boat. After fishing, pulls the pontoon boat up into the parking area, and stops, blocking access for others waiting to put in until he gets his customers and their equipment unloaded. It's happened twice to me, and watched it happen one other time.

Gman

Re: Odd/Crazy/Stupid People Encounters on the Lake [Re: Anchorman] #11093102 09/09/15 11:08 PM
Bruce Allen Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
was it for catfish?

Lake Fork Anglers
Every Thursday
Daytime Tournaments.

Lake Fork Sportsman's Association
www.lakeforksa.com/

We are VERY PROUD of our Induction into the
Texas Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame.

Re: Odd/Crazy/Stupid People Encounters on the Lake [Re: Anchorman] #11094078 09/10/15 02:01 PM
Y
YAKaddict Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Y
Went bank fishing and a old Mexican guy casts over my line 3 times and doesn't learn his lesson....I remedied that by switching to my frog rod with 65lb braid attached to a rattle trap. Big line takes little line!

Re: Odd/Crazy/Stupid People Encounters on the Lake [Re: Gamblinman] #11094338 09/10/15 04:08 PM
G
GhostRider32 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
Lake Fork 154 ramp...I won't speak any names, but he guides out of a pontoon boat. After fishing, pulls the pontoon boat up into the parking area, and stops, blocking access for others waiting to put in until he gets his customers and their equipment unloaded. It's happened twice to me, and watched it happen one other time.

Gman

No reason to not speak names. If the guide is an inconsiderate jerk, everyone should know.

Re: Odd/Crazy/Stupid People Encounters on the Lake [Re: Anchorman] #11094491 09/10/15 05:19 PM
I
I love fishing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I
Few months back at Tawakoni while I was launching my boat at Holiday there was a truck waiting for me to get done. I was backing my boat to the dock and his buddy screamed at me waving his hands wanted to know "what the f I was doing". Now keep in mind I was with my wife and she is not comfortable backing the boat off the trailer so I had to do it. Anyway he continued to be vocal and his buddy with a pontoon was waiting next to the dock as I pulled to tie down. He was shaking his head at me like I just committed a crime. I looked at him eye to eye waiting for him to say something because I was mad at this point and he ddidn't say a word. So as I was walking to my truck I passed by the truck with the two guys to see if they gonna say something to me and they made no eye contact. My blood was boiling and that was unnecessary. That day was slow and I was the only truck there that they had to wait. Unbelievable. My wife told me to calm down. By the way fishing was awesome that day.

Last edited by I love fishing; 09/10/15 05:21 PM.

Re: Odd/Crazy/Stupid People Encounters on the Lake [Re: Anchorman] #11094708 09/10/15 06:51 PM
E
edamatic Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
E
I got one. My cousin and I were fishing a tournament at Lake Fork. We were not in out normal "20ft fully loaded bass boat" so I guess we looked like a couple scrubs to this.....gentleman, that said out loud, "are you keeping a slot fish?" Are you kidding me, I heard him loud and clear but my cousin did not.

I am always the quiet guy and its hard to get me going but this flipped the switch.

I calmly started trolling towards him "on high speed of course" and said, do you want to measure the freaking fish?

He left asap!

Re: Odd/Crazy/Stupid People Encounters on the Lake [Re: Anchorman] #11095400 09/11/15 12:09 AM
44 Diesel Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
My Uncle and I was anchored on a hump at Lake Gvine. Been anchored several hours at this location. A sailboat comes by real close to us, less than 30 ft. A lady is on the sailboat yelling " you need to move, we are out here every weekend". No more Gvine weekends for me.

Re: Odd/Crazy/Stupid People Encounters on the Lake [Re: Anchorman] #11096394 09/11/15 02:31 PM
W
webber Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
Lake Lewisville two summers ago. I deployed from tower bay ramp had my wife and two kids already in the boats and docked and tied up etc.. I go to pull out and park car. I come back and my wife has this strange look on her face. She tells me that our boat was hit by this guys on a jet ski in a NO WAKE ZONE area.

He hit the gas to hard and hit my boat and knocked my family off their feet and created damage to my boat. The guy driving it had never been on one before etc.. Also was not the owner of it. The owner was walking down to the dock and I started asking for insurance papers and stuff. She looks at me and starts to give me static. So I laid it on the line.

I told her if you don't give me your information then I'll call the Sheriff dept. And you will start getting about 3 tickets. She was asking how's that. So she ended up giving me her information, but would not let me see it in my own hands. Just kind of was giving me the feed info. So as I get the ball rolling for insurance to come out and quote the damage a few days later her insurance company said was this a sail boat that hit your boat. I said no! They said based on the info you gave us its a sail boat in boston. WTH! Well she tried to create a fake insurance policy number, but all in all I nailed her to the wall and got her insurance to cover my boat repairs and cost. 1,800 bucks.

thank god I took photos of the hull number

Last edited by webber; 09/11/15 02:33 PM.

Live Life Good, Go fishing!!!!
Re: Odd/Crazy/Stupid People Encounters on the Lake [Re: Anchorman] #11096461 09/11/15 03:00 PM
Uncle Zeek Online Happy
aka "Dad"
Online Happy
aka "Dad"
The one that always mystifies me is when I'm launching my boat, and kids run up asking me to take them for a boat ride. Have NO earthly idea where their parents/family are at ... they're surely having a picnic, but are nowhere nearby.

A simple 'no' always works, but I wonder sometimes whether these kids would jump into a boat with a total stranger. Disturbing. Sometimes wonder if 'drowned' kids at the lake have gone off with a stranger and been abducted.

"Decency is not news; it is buried in the obituaries --but it is a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate planning & tax attorney
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205, Flower Mound, Texas 75028
972-746-0758 mobile
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: Odd/Crazy/Stupid People Encounters on the Lake [Re: 44 Diesel] #11096950 09/11/15 06:07 PM
B
bknotts Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
she would have gotten a finger response from me..

Re: Odd/Crazy/Stupid People Encounters on the Lake [Re: bknotts] #11097534 09/12/15 01:02 AM
44 Diesel Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
yep, she got a verbal response

Re: Odd/Crazy/Stupid People Encounters on the Lake [Re: Anchorman] #11097568 09/12/15 01:24 AM
R
RHP Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
I've had a couple of minor incidents on Conroe that I've chronicled here. Last Sunday, I witnessed a near catastophe on Conroe's Weir Creek where a pontoon boat carrying no less than 12 people pulling a tube with two young kids on it. Neither were wearing life jackets nor was the boat sporting an orange flag. The driver was making ridiculous turns and one of the girls fell off.

From my viewpoint, you could barely see her head above the wakes and here came a guy in a bass boat blasting across the water despite the multiple other boats. All I could think was "I don't want to see this girl die" and I picked up my phone call the Sheriff. Somehow at the last second the bass boat driver saw her and swerved and cut his speed immediately after. I think he thought he'd hit her, too. It was very close.

As his boat moved forward I saw the girl swimming towards the pontoon boat where everyone was screaming at him and probably her. The exchange was obscenity filled but the basser hung out until she got into the other boat. Then he flipped the bird at the other boat and headed back out of the creek. A tragic accident avoided by pure timing and good driving by the basser...even though he was driving too fast.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide