Forums59
Topics1,037,879
Posts13,935,963
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
I live in Desoto and am looking for some good spots. #11090620 09/08/15 09:49 PM
D
Daniel Mtanous Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
I live in Desoto and don't mind driving to Cedar Hill or Lancaster. I just got my fishing license and want to put it to use. I know about Joe Pool Lake but I wouldn't mind some smaller fishing. I plan on going to Bear Creek Nature Park later today. I've fished at the Dam Drainage from Joe Pool Lake and never caught a thing. I also fished at the river that it feeds that goes under Beltline. Nothing there either. I used live Nightcrawlers and Rooster tails, Spinner Baits, and crank baits. Nothing. I even went down 35 towards Waxahachi and there is a bridge where I saw people fishing from the side of the road. We didn't even get a single bite but I only fished right around the bank. I didn't walk the river in fear of snakes and other animals. I did see some other people fishing there and it seemed like they had experience fishing the river but I never asked them anything due to being in unreachable areas.

I live in Desoto and I'm looking for some good ponds to drop a bobber in.

Re: I live in Desoto and am looking for some good spots. [Re: Daniel Mtanous] #11090647 09/08/15 10:03 PM
J
jasoniam Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Wow this post looks plajerized or however you spell that...lol...from me!!!man start with smaller ponds head north for some of those as there's not man that I have found down south!!! or head south to say Ennis a bunch of small lakes there that you can get comfortable using a couple baits!!!...One thing I wish someone woulda showed me in the beginning is a wacky worm setup!
Line to hook take a plastic worm or senko and stab your hook through the center of it and let each side hang and lightly toss that in corners of ponds drainage areas any kid of structure you can and see if that will help!

[Linked Image]
Re: I live in Desoto and am looking for some good spots. [Re: Daniel Mtanous] #11091097 09/09/15 02:05 AM
D
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
I've been fishing for over 20 years. I'm pretty experiences. I recently moved here and need some good places to go to.
I come from East Texas and there was some really good fishing there.

I bet you mean plagiarized. (When someone steals something someone else has written).

I need something more physical than "head south and look for lakes".

Re: I live in Desoto and am looking for some good spots. [Re: Daniel Mtanous] #11091211 09/09/15 03:01 AM
C
Chandler Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
you don't need to head south or do you need to look for a lake. I grew up in lancaster, and lived in duncanville and cedar hill. The best fishing in lancaster is off limits all but one day of the year. The pond at Cedar Valley College has some monsters in it (I have seen 8lbers come out). Look for that one day a year they let you fish it. Next on the list is 10 mile creek. Back in the 90's, we would catch bass up to 4 pound walking the creek from the lancaster golf course all the way to 67 in duncanville. You just have to watch out for the snakes.

There are a few ponds in Desoto worth checking out. One is a small pond off hampton. Its by a bunch of warehouses... opposite side of hampton from triangle bowl. There are some big bass in there. There are a few other private ones that you can fish with the land owners permission off of beltline near 36 as well.

Then as you get closer to cedar hill you run across a few off beltline. Waterfort Oaks is the only name i can remember (my personal favorite), but if you use google maps, and follow beltline road from desoto until it turns into 1382, you will see all the water. Any pond you see has bass in it.

There is also a good one in cedar hill in the high pointe/woods area. its off of mountain creek park way near the nature center. Its behind a library. Before they turned it into a park, it had awesome bass fishing and i would catch big crappie in there too. But since they took all the lay downs out, it haven't fished the same, but the big girls are still there. They are just offshore on the big points.

You can also head east to wilmer/hutchin. There is a series of old flooded gravel pits between pleasant run and belt line. You need a small boat to get to most of them, but there is some awesome fishing back there. you can also fish some parts of the canals at the water treatment plant off betline. It full of crappie too.

Re: I live in Desoto and am looking for some good spots. [Re: Daniel Mtanous] #11091384 09/09/15 10:34 AM
J
jasoniam Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted By: Daniel Mtanous
I've been fishing for over 20 years. I'm pretty experiences. I recently moved here and need some good places to go to.
I come from East Texas and there was some really good fishing there.

I bet you mean plagiarized. (When someone steals something someone else has written).

I need something more physical than "head south and look for lakes".

gotcha my bad bro!! When I read the post it looked extremely identical to the one I posted about 5 yrs ago when I first started fishing!! So sorry if I offended you!! In my time spent down there in desoto and duncanville I never had any luck...I started hiting ponds off 35 and Beltline in carrolton and things like that and bites got way better for me!! But looks like he gave some great suggestions and hope they work out!!!

[Linked Image]
Re: I live in Desoto and am looking for some good spots. [Re: Daniel Mtanous] #11093031 09/09/15 10:26 PM
D
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Thank you for the information, I went to Lancaster Park on Veterans Memorial yesterday evening and it was really dry but caught blue gills like church day. I went to Bear Creek Nature Park and it was bone dry. Didn't want to chance it in fear of snakes.

Can you weed out the lakes/ponds that won't have snakes everywhere? I don't carry a gun or knife and I will be going alone mostly.

I will try the Joe Pool Spill Way tonight. Will report back if any action.

Re: I live in Desoto and am looking for some good spots. [Re: Daniel Mtanous] #11093352 09/10/15 01:05 AM
H
Hotrodjrd Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
H
If your going to the Woods area of Cedar Hill, I hope you have a CHL and are carrying! No way in hell I'd visit that area!

Re: I live in Desoto and am looking for some good spots. [Re: Daniel Mtanous] #11094698 09/10/15 06:45 PM
D
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
@hotrodjrd I know I'm not going into the woods unless there is another person with me. I don't own a gun let alone a CHL.

I went to Joe Pool Spill Way and had no luck. I caught a blue gill on a white rooster tail. Saw two guys with a stringer of White Bass. One said he used a top water Popper and another was using a Road Runner. I'll definitely go back with a lighter reel and some Road Runners.

Re: I live in Desoto and am looking for some good spots. [Re: Daniel Mtanous] #11094863 09/10/15 07:45 PM
B
blooper961 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Most of the ponds mentioned here dried up or lost enough oxygen during the drought to where most if not all of the fish in them died.
But it never hurts to try a few casts.

Re: I live in Desoto and am looking for some good spots. [Re: Daniel Mtanous] #11095357 09/10/15 11:34 PM
D
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
I called Cedar Valley College and they said they have never allowed people to fish there.

I'm not going to walk a creek bed by myself. I did find some areas where the Roy Orr Trails are next to it. Doubt anything good can get fished from there. It looks really dry.

I found the pond you were talking about on Hampton. I haven't visited it in person though. There was a sign on the pond but I couldn't read it. I hope it says No Swimming instead of No Fishing. I don't know where I would park at because there seemed to be an area that was trodden down but you need to hop the curb and my little car wouldn't be able to handle it. Saw a clean spot or 2 but still looked like a snake haven.
Address is: Behind Champion Xpress Lube 1822 N Hampton Rd DeSoto, TX 75115

I found Waterford Park and it is about 5 minutes from where I live. I wouldn't mind going out there tonight. It looks the most promising.
The address is: 320 N Waterford Oaks Dr, Cedar Hill, TX 75104

If you go South on Waterford Oaks instead of North towards Waterford Park turn left onto Weaver St. and drive straight. Windsor Park is at the end of the Road.
TWPD states that it has Channel Cat in it. I went there for 30 minutes around 12 noon and got a bite the first time on a Road Runner with a white frog. I failed to land the hook but it looked like a nice fish. Could have been a Crappy or a Large Brim. I saw it bite right at the shore. It is low right now and full of grass. I wouldn't mind taking some Dough Bait from Wal-Mart and fishing at night out there.
This is the actual address: 200 Lakeside Dr, Cedar Hill, TX 75104

Bradford Park: 401 West Wintergreen Road
Haven't fished yet. TWPD reports Channel Cats.

Red Oak Municipal Center (Pearson Park): 200 Lakeview Parkway, Red Oak, TX 75154 (972) 576-3412 Gazebos & Pavilions for rent
Haven't Fished. TWPD reports largemouth bass and catfish. Looks good for taking the family too.
Hours open: 6 A.M. - 11 P.M. Sunday through Thursday & 6 A.M - 12 P.M. Friday & Saturday.

Alan E. Sims Cedar Hill Recreation Center
310 E. Parkerville Road
Cedar Hill, TX 75104
It's free to fish in their lake. If there are even any fish in there.

[These three are all around the same general location.

Ridge View Park: 1150 Lake Ridge Pkwy Cedar Hill, TX 75104
Right next to road, has curb for parking. Looks beautiful.

Valley Ridge Park: 2850 Park Ridge Dr Cedar Hill, TX 75104
Open 5:30 A.M. to 11:30 P.M. (972) 291-5130
First Right after Ridge View Park travelling South. Has a stocked pond and baseball fields.

Lester Lorch Park: 1823 Texas Plume Rd. Cedar Hill, TX 75104
South of Ride View Park. Is part of Beaver Disk Golf Course. Has a beaver family in it. Caution for poisonous snakes. Area doesn't look too wooded from Aerial map view.]

Lynn Creek Marina: 5700 Lake Ridge Pkwy Arlington, TX 76001 (817) 640-4200 lynncreekmarina.com
Fish at the boat ramp for free 24 hours a day. There is a little area where you can walk on the rocks next to the ramp too.
It's $5 dollars to fish from their boat house until 10 P.M.. Caught a 10" bass on the rocks with a Road Runner. Beware there were snakes in the water and a Raccoon that was walking around. Didn't bother anyone though and someone was actually petting it. It's always crowded. Bring your own chair.

Lakeside Park: 515 Hillcity Dr, Duncanville, TX 75115
Open 5 A.M. to 11:30 P.M.
Catfish and Bass lake. They are restocking catfish on Sept. 18th and again on Oct. 2nd,16th,30th.
Two decks, nice size park lake. Lots of ducks and squirrels. Public Bathrooms and Fields. Trails and play grounds.
One deck is bigger then the other. It sits close to a fountain. Caught blue gill, brim, and fingerling bass. Saw some large turtles too. Seemed popular.
Was there for 3 hours during the morning and by the time I left there were 5 other people fishing. No one caught anything though while I was there but me.

Here are some small community parks that have a pond in them.

Waterview Park: 1700 Whitecliff Dr Duncanville, TX 75137

Fox Hollow Park: 5873 Eagle Ford Dr Dallas, TX 75249 (Catfish)

Emerald Lake: Take trail starting at -
Mountain Creek Library 6102 Mountain Creek Pkwy Dallas, TX 75249

Last edited by Daniel Mtanous; 09/10/15 11:37 PM.
Re: I live in Desoto and am looking for some good spots. [Re: Daniel Mtanous] #11097617 09/12/15 01:42 AM
L
Lovfldx Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
L
Shoot if you live in desoto duncanville or lancaster, fish 10 mile creek. It is loaded. Catfish bass, green sunfish. Gooduns! There is a big hole right off Pleasant Run and Polk. bass and catfish abound. The creek below 35 overpass at belt line has good holes with good bass and cats in it. I park at the Walmart, walk across the street, machete my way through the jungle, to the creek and just walk it. Most of it is shallow, but it doesn't matter, the bass and cats are there! Big green sunfish too.

Re: I live in Desoto and am looking for some good spots. [Re: Daniel Mtanous] #11098587 09/12/15 09:00 PM
D
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
I might just have to man up and take a machete with me and be an urban trail blazer then.

There are some nice looking spots on 10 mile creek but I'm afraid to walk them by myself. Especially if I have to walk behind strangers houses. I'm not a big fan of suburban garbage being run off into the creeks and then eating the fish from there. The creeks I fished were clean country creeks that only had garbage that people left there from fishing expeditions.

I will Google Map them and see if I can spot those places from Aerial view then prospect them if it looks promising.

Re: I live in Desoto and am looking for some good spots. [Re: Daniel Mtanous] #11098603 09/12/15 09:07 PM
D
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
@Lovfldx I know exactly what points you are referring to. I pass by them all the time. I've never stopped though. I'll have to write them down on my "to visit" list.

Re: I live in Desoto and am looking for some good spots. [Re: Daniel Mtanous] #11100795 09/13/15 10:05 PM
D
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
I fished Waterford Park this morning (9/13/2015) from 8:30 to 10 this morning.

Initially I drove down N Waterford Oaks Dr only to be confronted with no parking signs. Luckily on the other side is another road. Take Joe Wilson To Pondview then turn right onto Streamside Dr. I parked in the cul-de-sac. First looks the pond is very shallow in the majority of the area with heavy vegetation that touches in the middle. It's not to long but it is annoying. Walked onto the bridge and it was Panfish city down there BUT it was also Turtle Haven. You couldn't look an inch of the pond without some giant turtle being there or many small turtles congregating. If your into eating turtles with would be the place to go. Water was slightly murky with visibility as far as 3 to 4 feet from the shore. With so many turtles around I switched to a 1/16 Road Runner with white grub. No bites. I walked across the entire pond. Spotted a junior catfish in about 6 inches of water nearest the first culvert. It swam away as soon as I got close to the shore. The second culvert had some nice size bluegills. I spent the most time fishing the area near the fountain. Got a few nibbles but nothing hooked. Switched to PowerBait Corn and I had tons of yanking but no bitters. It lured a big turtle over there and I left. 2 people stopped me and asked me if I caught anything and I told them no. They both mentioned the bridge and I explained to them about the turtles. One had thrown a whole loaf of Raison Bread and had stirred up a massive congregation of Panfish. On my way to the bridge I did see Fingerling Bass: Bass being my target fish. The bass were feeding heavily on the fry that was running the shores. I sat and watched some Panfish cannibalize their offspring. They literally shored themselves to eat them. Water being only about 2 inches on the shore. When I finally made it to the bridge to fish most of the turtles had swam to bask in the sun and there were at least 5 different school of Panfish. To my dismay, the Panfish were more interested on biting the bobber than the actual bait itself. The bright green must have been a major attractant. I tried using my Road Runner with a red tail and the fish wouldn't even pay it any attention. After spending about 5 minutes trying to get a bite with my artificial corn the lady that threw the bread on the bridge said she had tons of Raison Bread and was going to get another loaf because her brother works for the company that makes bread. I was going to stay and wait for her to return in hopes of stabbing a raison on my hook and getting a bite but I left prematurely when woman walking her dog (Jezebel),started smoking marijuana a couple of feet away from me.

I doubt I'll go back anytime soon. I'll report on the next pond when I go.

Re: I live in Desoto and am looking for some good spots. [Re: Daniel Mtanous] #11103026 09/14/15 05:53 PM
C
crappieking95 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
That pond produces some huge bass, and numerous smaller ones. I usually catch them on watermelon seed mini beavers or senkos. There are plenty of ponds around that haven't been mentioned above. Just get on Google maps or something like that and search. Good luck

Philippians 4:13
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide