Print Thread
Two at a time...Laguna 8/30 - 9/2 #11079844 09/03/15 01:11 AM
A
AcousticTennis Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
A
So I figure frequent reports are easier than one long report. North winds are becoming the norm this week. Fish are taking this as a sign and are starting to change patterns. They aren't cold fronts so some of them are a bit confused.

Started out my morning with a nice north wind blowing through and storms in the area. Didn't launch until 9am just to make sure they would stay away. Don't need another baffin lightning strike expedition. The first thing I noticed in the distance was a back sticking out of the water. I kept my eye on it while I paddled over. I kept waiting for it to go down like a redfish back typically does but this one never did. I got closer and realized it was a big ugly just slowly cruising along. Waited until it was perpendicular to my kayak so I could pull the mambo mullet right under its nose. It took 3 casts but I finally got that subtle *thump*. I set the hook and nothing but drag came out. The ugly didnt even respond to it.

It really didnt fight at all. Im pretty sure a log would have fought better. Either way I managed to get it up to the kayak. A nice 40" ugly with the face only a mother could love.

I released it but it wouldn't swim away. I was able to get it to sit up right and not go belly up but it never moved the 4 hours I was out there. It had a fresh wound on its back like a boat prop clipped him last night. Put some little fiddlers in front of it in case it felt like eating again.

The entire fight I could hear reds busting on the other side of the spoil so I made my way around. A heron flew over head and a big wake spooked over my direction. I pitched the mambo and instant hookup on a 27.5" bruiser.

I scouted the flats some more but the reds were in zombie mode. I would find them just slow cruising and they would have no reaction to a lure. I decided to move over to the grass. I figured this time of day they would start schooling and rooting for shrimp and crabs. It didn't take long until I found a pair of pigs cruising tails up. I pitched the first one the mambo and it inhaled it. I pulled off some line and set it in the scotty. Grabbed the other rod with a fiddler crab on it and pitched it to the other red and it was inhaled instantly. DOUBLE HOOKSET GAME ON!

Try doing that outside of a marsh while standing on the yak! I have been able to do it a few times but one fish always got off or one was undersize so I didnt count it. I had to wicked tuna it and deal with one red while I reeled in slack on the other in the holder to keep it hooked up. It took some balance worthy of a circus act but I managed to get them both in the yak. Two 27"+ redfish sightcasted at the same time. Whoop!

I cruised around the grass flat and pulled a few more reds out of schools. Lots of drum scattered around but the water quality wasnt too great and I would spook them before I could see them. I still managed to pull a few drummies on fiddlers.

Im hoping to get some clear weather soon. Winds have been kind but it starts raining before the drum even have a chance to come up on the flat.

The mambo mullet is seriously impressive. I busted out the go pro the other day and lost 8 reds in a row. I think it was a go pro curse because I havent lost a red since when the go pro stays at home. The lure has been through over 25 redfish and a few trout, but it still looks brand new. Its exactly what I needed for a sight casting lure.

Ill be working on a little video soon hopefully. Ill go over how to catch fiddler crabs and how to use them for catching drum. A lot of people have asked about it recently so its easier to show the process than to try and explain online.

Till next time...
Life is good...

-Tino

Re: Two at a time...Laguna 8/30 - 9/2 [Re: AcousticTennis] #11080006 09/03/15 02:27 AM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Solid post. Good job. cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Two at a time...Laguna 8/30 - 9/2 [Re: AcousticTennis] #11085326 09/05/15 08:18 PM
F
fishinmachine Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Cool stuff, Tino. Two nice reds at once...while standing? Awesome feet!(No, that's not a typo):)

When do you get the new yak slimed?

Re: Two at a time...Laguna 8/30 - 9/2 [Re: AcousticTennis] #11086924 09/06/15 07:35 PM
O
onebaddj Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
O
Nice work. That had to be a blast getting 2 reds on at the same time.

MALIBUTEE X-13.

" I wasnt born with enough middle fingers"
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide