Building up my catfish tackle box #11068863 08/28/15 01:08 PM
F
fishingnerd Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
F
Hi All,

After many years of working my butt off, I have finally decided to take some time and get into a hobby. I've been fishing local ponds and lakes in the DFW area the past few weeks and really enjoying it. I'm looking forward to the coming cooler months for some good fishing to start taking place.

Part of the joy I've been having is refreshing my memory when it comes to knots, lure rigs, leaders, etc.

I've now got to the point where I want to focus on getting really good at cat fishing. If you were starting out again, what should you/I have in a catfish tackle box? What baits should I start out with? What Techniques should I become familiar with...etc etc.

Thanks for any help!

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Building up my catfish tackle box [Re: fishingnerd] #11068922 08/28/15 01:31 PM
tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Google santee cooper and three way rigs. Pretty much tell you all you need for bluecat gear

I live with Fear everyday but sometimes she lets me go fishin
Lewisvillecatfish.com

PB 65#
www.lewisvillecatfish.com
Facebook.com/Tom Gravley
www.youtube.com/gravleybrats
Re: Building up my catfish tackle box [Re: fishingnerd] #11068961 08/28/15 01:47 PM
B
BankAngler50 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Are you banking or boating?

BTW, congratulations on picking the best hobby on the planet, Catfishing. thumb

Why do I go fishing? To catch a box of fish and/or some quality time under the sun. Thank Heaven I never fail fishing in Texas, catching box fish or plenty of sunburn.
Re: Building up my catfish tackle box [Re: BankAngler50] #11069001 08/28/15 02:03 PM
F
fishingnerd Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
F
Banking right now. Gonna buy a kayak next year to do lake cove fishing.

Re: Building up my catfish tackle box [Re: fishingnerd] #11069058 08/28/15 02:31 PM
B
Blues Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
What's your target, eater size channel cats or trophy blues and flathead? Lots of fun either way but different gear for each.

Re: Building up my catfish tackle box [Re: fishingnerd] #11069528 08/28/15 06:00 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
My catfishin tackle box is pretty simple.
I have a couple sizes of circle hooks of 5/0 to 8/0 and two sizes of treble hooks in #4 and #6 size for punch bait. A couple of sizes of Kahle hooks also find their way into my tackle box.
You'll need some split shot weights in various sizes, as well as some tear drop weights.
You will need clips and swivels, beads, and bobber stops, plus the bobbers.
A sharp filet knife and a small pocket knife, needle nose pliers, a stringer, and a fish gripper.
If you intend to fish from the bank you will need to carry more hooks and weights because it doesn't take long to go through the terminal tackle fishing from the bank.
Use a good quality rod and reel but you don't need to go into a lot of expense either. An Abu Garcia 6500 spooled with 20# line mounted on a med heavy Ugly Stik is a good bombproof combination for cats from big ones to 20+ pounders.
I've caught cats using a Zebco 33 with 10# line so it's not all that complicated.
Baits are easy as long as it's fresh Shad and you'll be well served investing in a Cast net so you can catch your own bait.
The other standards are chicken livers, shrimp, perch, worms, grasshoppers etc.
Some of the manufactured baits like the cheese baits and punch bait, dip baits etc.
The hardest thing about catfishing is figuring out where you want to go fish!

Just one more cast!

Re: Building up my catfish tackle box [Re: fishingnerd] #11069936 08/28/15 09:33 PM
flexpress Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Good info Jimbo

Re: Building up my catfish tackle box [Re: Jimbo] #11069996 08/28/15 10:13 PM
C
CATDADDY JR Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Jimbo
I have a couple sizes of circle hooks of 5/0 to 8/0 and two sizes of treble hooks in #4 and #6 size for punch bait. A couple of sizes of Kahle hooks also find their way into my tackle box.
You'll need some split shot weights in various sizes, as well as some tear drop weights.
A sharp filet knife and a small pocket knife, needle nose pliers, a stringer, and a fish gripper.
If you intend to fish from the bank you will need to carry more hooks and weights because it doesn't take long to go through the terminal tackle fishing from the bank.
Use a good quality rod and reel but you don't need to go into a lot of expense either. An Abu Garcia 6500 spooled with 20# line mounted on a med heavy Ugly Stik is a good bombproof combination for cats from big ones to 20+ pounders.
I've caught cats using a Zebco 33 with 10# line so it's not all that complicated.
Baits are easy as long as it's fresh Shad and you'll be well served investing in a Cast net so you can catch your own bait.
Some of the manufactured baits like the cheese baits and punch bait, dip baits etc.

post closed lol

Re: Building up my catfish tackle box [Re: fishingnerd] #11070056 08/28/15 10:52 PM
TxCatfishGuide Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Check this out. Should give you a good foundation to work with.

http://www.catfishedge.com/catfishing-gear/

Re: Building up my catfish tackle box [Re: fishingnerd] #11070236 08/29/15 12:44 AM
C
Chemdawg Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
vist A&Joutdorrds he sells every thing you will need and really good prices you cant beat I get all my heaver talk from him good guy and he is an indented shop owner wich i like he is on here I ham having a brain fart and cant thing of him screen name on hear

Re: Building up my catfish tackle box [Re: fishingnerd] #11070378 08/29/15 01:42 AM
F
forsanmedic Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Can't go wrong with Team Catfish either!

Re: Building up my catfish tackle box [Re: CATDADDY JR] #11070967 08/29/15 02:13 PM
G
GetSlimed Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
G
Originally Posted By: CATDADDY JR
Originally Posted By: Jimbo

post closed lol

No kidding! LOL
I think he covered everything except a big landing net.

PB Blue Cat 67lbs - Twok
2013 Blue Wave 2200 Pure Bay Yamaha 250
Re: Building up my catfish tackle box [Re: fishingnerd] #11071889 08/29/15 11:30 PM
B
BankAngler50 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted By: fishingnerd
Banking right now. Gonna buy a kayak next year to do lake cove fishing.

If you want it to be easy and simple and have more time for fishing from the bank, I recommend these...

9' or 10' graphite rods
Saltwater 5000-8000 spinning reels, we bankers constantly dealing with mud and muddy water, saltwater reels seal better... you will need to cast very far from bank in windy conditions, braided line small diameter and lightweight is best suitable for banking, it's abrasive resistance will save you time and money... I use power pro super slick braided line, no problem for rods. Braided line is a better marriage for spinning reels than with baitcast reels.

Hooks. .. gamagatsu circle hooks #2, 2.0, 4.0, 6.0 and the same set for octopus hooks good for small channel to 50lbs blue.

Weight sinkers... 2-6 oz, we use whatever weigh is required to cast bait to the fish, also need heavier weight to hold rig in place in choppy water.

On no stretch property of braided line, it's exactly what bankers want, 1. Graphite rod bending already provide elasticity similar to mono stretching, 2. Bankers line can be 100+ yards away, you already have reaction delay from your pole to the hook plus rod tip bending... don't need any more delay by having line stretching.

I stay away from stink bait, no need for treble hooks, that's just me.

Last edited by BankAngler50; 08/30/15 12:12 AM.

Why do I go fishing? To catch a box of fish and/or some quality time under the sun. Thank Heaven I never fail fishing in Texas, catching box fish or plenty of sunburn.
Re: Building up my catfish tackle box [Re: fishingnerd] #11074650 08/31/15 04:54 PM
B
Big Sam Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Dont forget those team catfish fish grippers to get control / land fish / remove the hooks / and if ya got a boat take an extra pair put some cord on it....they make good brush grabbers for tree fishing straight down cheers

If it ain't broke don't fix it...but go ahead and work on it anyway.....
Re: Building up my catfish tackle box [Re: Chemdawg] #11074920 08/31/15 07:21 PM
P
parttime Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Chemdawg
vist A&Joutdorrds he sells every thing you will need and really good prices you cant beat I get all my heaver talk from him good guy and he is an indented shop owner wich i like he is on here I ham having a brain fart and cant thing of him screen name on hear

Thanks Chemdawg, that's A&J Outdoors

Parttime (John)
Follow me on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/c/AJOutdoors1
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide