Print Thread
A must have for your kayak! #11064697 08/26/15 02:16 PM
C
CBegin Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Brett asked me to post on this forum, as he is not a member yet.

QR-1 Rod Holder Review (Kayaks) www.stealthrodholders.com

Ive been fishing for over 40 years, kayak fishing for 3, and I refuse to fall for the gimmicks and hype

marketing for aftermarket accessories. Ive been looking at Rod Holders to put in my kayak for Trolling

use, and wasnt satisfied with any designs on the market up till now. When I received my Stealth

Outdoors QR-1, the placement options and versatility of this product blew me away!

I do not use electronics on my kayak, I sight fish and Troll to locate the fish (inland salt water) and it

takes a rugged quick release ergonomic Rod Holder to make the Troll a success. The QR-1 grips your

rod so tightly, there is almost NO WAY a fish could pull it from the internal jaws, as I call them, but it

allows you to quickly remove your rod in an easy upwards motion.

I, like many other kayak anglers, want premium product for a fair price. The Stealth Outdoors QR-1 is in

my opinion one of the best engineered, functional, and versatile Rod Holders made to date. I only use

the QR-1, and I dont plan to change. Why settle for second best when I have the best! Stealth Outdoors

QR-1, get you one, and youre done!

Brett Cowboy Ridgedell

South Louisiana Gulf Coast

QuicKbait.com Pro Staff

Fin Collector Pro Staff

FB Fin Collector

Twitter @CowboyRidge

YT Brett Ridgedell

CBegin
Small business owner
www.stealthrodholders.com
Re: A must have for your kayak! [Re: CBegin] #11064718 08/26/15 02:25 PM
C
christian myrick Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Ive seen these before. Im kinda on the fence about them. The reasons why, wull they get sticky after they get dirty? Will they get weak over time ( the opening part)? Id like to try these a bit but not once, mabey an extended time so they can go through real life situations.

Re: A must have for your kayak! [Re: CBegin] #11064725 08/26/15 02:26 PM
C
christian myrick Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Will they hold the larger diameter grips of big game rods? This is a major complaint I have with most rod holders.

Re: A must have for your kayak! [Re: CBegin] #11064810 08/26/15 02:58 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Nothing wrong with innovation but anything that has moving parts is going to be subject to wear and tear and will eventually fail and you can pretty much bank on it.
Even the rubber hold down strap on the Scotty wears out and I've got proof of that.
That said I seldom use the holdown strap, but do at times if I'm trolling.
I like the concept, but it's not been time tested and everything wears out sooner or later, and if the moving parts break, you probably can still use it without losing your rod and reel.

Just one more cast!

Re: A must have for your kayak! [Re: CBegin] #11064909 08/26/15 03:38 PM
M
Matty Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
I've seen something similar for a paddle clip that worked pretty slick.

Re: A must have for your kayak! [Re: CBegin] #11065090 08/26/15 04:54 PM
C
CBegin Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
It is made out of EPDM, which does not get sticky when wet or dirty. That's what auto gaskets are made out of and is formulated to be UV and solvent resistant.

One thing that is unique about this rod holder is that it doesn't have a lot of moving parts so there aren't many areas for it to fail. That being said, it has a lifetime warranty!

Hope this helps.

CBegin
Small business owner
Re: A must have for your kayak! [Re: CBegin] #11065488 08/26/15 07:57 PM
C
CBegin Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
I forgot to mention that the Stealth rod holder is about the same size as the Scotty so it does not hold the larger diameter rods. We found this is a problem, so we will be launching a Pro Series Holder which will be able to handle the larger rods early next year.

CBegin
Small business owner
Re: A must have for your kayak! [Re: CBegin] #11065735 08/26/15 10:16 PM
B
boylerpig Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
Looks good. I have a question on your "out of stock" Universal Rail Mount. How does it fit an the rail of a Hobie Pro Angler and when will they be back in stock?

BP...

Why lie when the truth is so much more fun!
Re: A must have for your kayak! [Re: CBegin] #11066009 08/27/15 12:25 AM
C
CBegin Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
It should fit your boat nicely.

The universal mount handles rails (round or square) any size between 7/8 and 1-1/4.
We are are expecting our next shipment mid to late September. Our apologies. This was high demand item.

I would also note, in the meantime, that our mounts are compatible with Scotty and Cabelas mounts. So, if you have a Scotty mount currently, our product will fit.

CBegin
Small business owner
Re: A must have for your kayak! [Re: CBegin] #11066033 08/27/15 12:42 AM
G
Gumbeaux Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
G
Any plans to mount on a ram ball? Does the rod stay in if a kayak turtles?

Re: A must have for your kayak! [Re: CBegin] #11066610 08/27/15 11:47 AM
C
CBegin Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Any plans to mount on a ram ball?
We are constantly asked about the Ram ball. It's way too popular to ignore. I think people like the freedom they provide in addition to the fact that a lot of guys already own them.

We are working on a new adapter that can attach to the ball, but we need to to test and tool it, so it will be a few months before we can get them available.

Does the rod stay in if a kayak turtles?

It really depends on the rod. In most cases, I would say yes. I have turtled in mine and my rod stayed in the holder. When engaged, the cam takes between 5-7 pounds of force to release, and the motion to do so is straight up.

As you can see on our website video, the cam kind of snaps closed when it grips the rod handle, and it absorbs a lot of shock and vibration. There are so many variables that I can't guarantee you wont lose your rod in a turtle, but I would say you have a way better chance of keeping it than any conventional rod holder.

CBegin
Small business owner
Re: A must have for your kayak! [Re: CBegin] #11072959 08/30/15 06:06 PM
C
CBegin Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Here is a video on of our anglers sent to us. Very cool demonstration of the hold. Cant wait to see what he catches on it!

CBegin
Small business owner
Re: A must have for your kayak! [Re: CBegin] #11075190 08/31/15 09:53 PM
S
Searsay Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Figured i'd respond since I have these. I have been helping my brother-in-law with his kayak and so decided to purchase these a few months ago. (I purchased so this is not a sponsored review in any way smile )

I ended up letting my brother-in-law use my old rod holders and have been using these exclusively on my yak since i got them (and LOVE THEM). My old rod holders are three different varieties of ram mounts w/ track balls.

Overall rating - 4.5/5 stars - especially for kayak fishing (I LOVE trolling with them on my kayak). The .5 off is for not having ram ball compatibility (yet). If i can afford to and it isn't to annoying i'll upgrade to the ram ball mounts when they come out.

Re: A must have for your kayak! [Re: CBegin] #11091635 09/09/15 01:16 PM
C
CBegin Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Thanks Searsay!
I'll let you know when the Ram Compatible mounts are in!

CBegin
Small business owner
Re: A must have for your kayak! [Re: CBegin] #11178566 10/22/15 01:20 PM
C
CBegin Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Here is a review from a guy who won one of our products at a tournament.

Jason I wanted to say thanks for your support of the 2015 TKAA Fishing tournament.

I was lucky enough to receive one of your donated mounts, and after using it one time I knew I would have to purchase another one which I received today. These are very high-end, well built rod holders. For those that demand the best things in life this is the rod holder for them.
Being made by a family business not a huge corporation makes me love them even more.

For those that fish for the big 30+ pound Blue Catfish this holder is the weapon that will give them the upper hand over fisherman around them.

I fished Monday the 19th of October in Hopewell Virginia on the James River for medium 6 to 10 pound blue catfish. The bite was on.
I was expecting to have more success with the stealth holder, but I was stunned by how much better it outperformed my old holders. Grab, pull and set the hook all in one move. The fish didnt even know I there until the hook was set.

While all 3 rods were getting the same amount of bites I had doubled the hookups on the rod that was in the Stealth. (What I now call Stealth Mode) It didn't matter which rod was in the stealth holder when the fish picked up my bait I had twice the changes of a hookup.

I recommend this holder for all types of fishing. Kayak fishing as well as all other types of boats. If folks use this holder they too will be blown away by the success they will have.

I went fishing at the HRBT Tuesday night. I was trolling for strippers in my kayak. The Stealth allowed me to snatch the rod out of the holder, and immediately start fighting the fish. It kept the fish from having time to get into the bridge pilings and breaking me off.

I stand behind everything I say here. Your holder is the best holder for the types of fishing I do. I have others that I can remove the rod from without having to turn anything on the holder but none are as easy to use without sending any noises or vibrations down the line.

John Barnett, Tidewater Virginia (AKA Popslovestofish)

Last edited by CBegin; 10/22/15 01:21 PM.

CBegin
Small business owner
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide