Print Thread
Brazos at Rochell's Trip Report #11057127 08/22/15 04:44 PM
J
J Barlow Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
J
Me and my brother went to the Brazos by Rochelle's yesterday. Not being there before we really didn't know what to expect. We got up early and arrived right at sunrise hoping to get some fish on top water. Didn't happen! The fish decided to sleep in. We decided to go upstream from Rochelle's first so that we could float past Rochelle's when we were done and and take out at the end of the camping area. We fished for about an hour before we finally figured out some lures that they wanted. I caught my first few fish on a Fire Tiger shallow diving crankbait. Then for some reason they didn't want that anylonger. I switched to a Lunker City 3.25" Shaker in Fire Tiger(not on their web site anymore). I fished it on a small spinnerbait head. They seemed to like that but I thought I could do better so I switched colors to Avocado Red Flake w/ Chartreuse Tail.

The bass just loved this color. First cast I fought a nice bass to the boat only to discover that it was only holding onto the tail and was not hooked. It proceeded to let go and laugh at me before swimming away. But after that it was game on. They were mostly dinks but we did get a few decent ones. Both Large and smallmouth and even one drum.

When I went to net this bass he jumped off the hook and landed 1/2 in and 1/2 out of the net. I managed to lunge forward enough to get him and somehow managed to stay in the boat.

Caught this nice one right under the bridge while running the small rapids.

Overall I would say it was a nice day but I am not sure it is worth the 2 hour drive since I can get to my favorite place in Oklahoma in about 2 hours. It is a beautiful float and if I wanted to do a long day float then I would go back out there and start at the damn and float to Rochelle's...if the water was flowing. Oh...and the water was flowing a little so that was nice.

Last edited by J Barlow; 08/22/15 04:45 PM.
Re: Brazos at Rochell's Trip Report [Re: J Barlow] #11057187 08/22/15 05:18 PM
B
Bass Art Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Nice trip. I would like to fish the Brazos below PK, but the fact that I can drive less than 30 minutes more and be at Beavers Bend keeps it from happening. Looks like it was definitely worth your drive.

Artie
Re: Brazos at Rochell's Trip Report [Re: J Barlow] #11057553 08/22/15 09:04 PM
Cowtown Kid Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
It looks like you had a nice trip. I have been wanting to go to the Brazos at Rochelle's and do what you did and go upstream a few miles and work my way back. It has been several years since I made that trip and I am due for one. I went to the Brazos below Whitney this morning and didn't do too well on my bait casting rods but switched over to my fly reel and did well catching some stripers and bass.
Thanks for the report!

texas

Rick Irving
"The Cowtown Kid"
Kayak Fisherman and Real Estate Broker

Angling may be said to be so like the mathematics that it can never be fully learned. ~Izaak Walton
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide