Print Thread
Fish Below Canyon on the Guad! #11031979 08/10/15 11:31 AM
H
Hunter498 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
H
I am heading to New Braunfels next week and was wondering what fish species are catchable in the Guad below Canyon Lake Dam and what are some good areas to target downriver?

Re: Fish Below Canyon on the Guad! [Re: Hunter498] #11033456 08/10/15 09:34 PM
H
hook-line&sinker Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
H
If you have never been to the guad in summer prepare yourself for some company on the river. The tube hatch is in full swing by 10am on most any day of the week. If I was to suggest a plan of action I'd say rent a tube and float the horseshoe down to Rio. Fish for stripers, smallmouth bass, Guadalupe bass and trout.

Be very careful when catching the trout as the water temperature is at the top end of what they can tolerate. Stress a trout very much in these conditions and it will die. To many TU fly guys those hold-over trout are very valuable and they take a very dim view of anyone who doesn't take the necessary precautions when catching any of those golden river jewels.

>)));> Wishin' I was Fishin' <;(((<

“Personnel is the most vital and important aspect of any industry.
If you’re just going to grind them up, it’s not going to end well for anybody.”
SCOTT REINARDY

Re: Fish Below Canyon on the Guad! [Re: Hunter498] #11038328 08/13/15 12:40 AM
R
Robert Hunter Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Did see Trout rising but didn't target them long close to the dam. But stripers smallmouth and an odd thing there largemouth(out of the lake with the stripers). But like hook line said just watch for the rubber hatch. Early and late lots of fish to catch. The first evening I got to get on the water I walk down a lady was packing up her family and I caught two small mouth and a sunfish in about five cast. She looks at me and said didn't you just get here? There are fish all over the river you just have to look for the right opportunity to target them. The stripers that I posted pictures of in my interesting trip to go Guadalupe almost all the stripers I caught were from 2 to 4 in the morning slow stripping a clouser. No crowd at all then lol.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/bsQJFvLj/
Re: Fish Below Canyon on the Guad! [Re: Hunter498] #11042492 08/14/15 10:44 PM
H
hook-line&sinker Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
H
Wednesday I met a friend down in Luling to fish the San Marcos river passing through it. With plenty of water in the river our thoughts of wading it were quickly squashed. We fished the river for about an hour with little to show for our efforts. With a little coaxing on my part we headed to New Braunfels and the Guadalupe river to try our luck there.

Over the years I've made a few mid summer trips to the Guad usually on a weekday and have always been able to find some fish. I usually drop in the river at one of the camps and make my way upstream to several good spots I've fished before. That type of wade fishing was the thought in my head as we stopped in one camp at the fourth crossing to ask about parking...

It happens every summer and by now you would think I'd know better. Attempting to fish the Guadalupe river during the tube hatch is like finding a hotel room in College Station on an Aggie football weekend! Many hotels charge the highest price of the year during those football weekends but if you are willing & able to pay you can have just about any room in the city.

All the tourist traps along the Guadalupe river gorge themselves on the swarms of tubers during the summer long hatch. Seasonal rates apply and the river is filled with happy campers floating down the cool river. If I had been by myself I'd just rent a tube and float down the river on a short & slow fishing trip. But my friends on that day were not prepared for that kind of expense or adventure. So our options were to pay 15 dollars each to park and another fee if we needed shuttle service. I found it strange that the attendant could not conceive the concept of wading upstream and then back down to the camp without renting a tube.. But that really didn't matter because there was no way the three of us were going to dish out $45 to fish anyway.

Not to be denied I knew of another access point at the dam. From the spillway I waded down river about a mile and fished the cool clear water as much as I needed to justify the long drive. The Guadalupe is running clear and clean much better than in recent memory.. The off season starts in September and that's the next time you might see me on the river..

>)));> Wishin' I was Fishin' <;(((<

“Personnel is the most vital and important aspect of any industry.
If you’re just going to grind them up, it’s not going to end well for anybody.”
SCOTT REINARDY

Re: Fish Below Canyon on the Guad! [Re: Hunter498] #11043095 08/15/15 06:52 AM
G
gray Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
G
Well done and very fun. Thanks. And happy birthday.

Re: Fish Below Canyon on the Guad! [Re: Hunter498] #11043203 08/15/15 12:28 PM
H
Hunter498 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
H
I might go to the Pedernales or way up the Guad instead, over south of Sisterdale to get away fromthe crowds!

Re: Fish Below Canyon on the Guad! [Re: Hunter498] #11045564 08/16/15 08:11 PM
R
Robert Hunter Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Saw some really nice bass and rios in the comal no people at landa park to fight with saw some big plecos in there.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/bsQJFvLj/
Re: Fish Below Canyon on the Guad! [Re: Hunter498] #11046655 08/17/15 02:05 PM
H
Hunter498 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
H
Might try that as well!

Re: Fish Below Canyon on the Guad! [Re: Hunter498] #11052680 08/20/15 06:20 AM
R
Robert Hunter Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Well how are you doing any fish yet?

Re: Fish Below Canyon on the Guad! [Re: hook-line&sinker] #11053892 08/20/15 08:27 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Originally Posted By: hook-line&sinker
Wednesday I met a friend down in Luling to fish the San Marcos river passing through it. With plenty of water in the river our thoughts of wading it were quickly squashed. We fished the river for about an hour with little to show for our efforts. With a little coaxing on my part we headed to New Braunfels and the Guadalupe river to try our luck there.

Over the years I've made a few mid summer trips to the Guad usually on a weekday and have always been able to find some fish. I usually drop in the river at one of the camps and make my way upstream to several good spots I've fished before. That type of wade fishing was the thought in my head as we stopped in one camp at the fourth crossing to ask about parking...

It happens every summer and by now you would think I'd know better. Attempting to fish the Guadalupe river during the tube hatch is like finding a hotel room in College Station on an Aggie football weekend! Many hotels charge the highest price of the year during those football weekends but if you are willing & able to pay you can have just about any room in the city.

All the tourist traps along the Guadalupe river gorge themselves on the swarms of tubers during the summer long hatch. Seasonal rates apply and the river is filled with happy campers floating down the cool river. If I had been by myself I'd just rent a tube and float down the river on a short & slow fishing trip. But my friends on that day were not prepared for that kind of expense or adventure. So our options were to pay 15 dollars each to park and another fee if we needed shuttle service. I found it strange that the attendant could not conceive the concept of wading upstream and then back down to the camp without renting a tube.. But that really didn't matter because there was no way the three of us were going to dish out $45 to fish anyway.

Not to be denied I knew of another access point at the dam. From the spillway I waded down river about a mile and fished the cool clear water as much as I needed to justify the long drive. The Guadalupe is running clear and clean much better than in recent memory.. The off season starts in September and that's the next time you might see me on the river..

From Mid September till Memorial day weekend the Guadalupe River below Canyon Lake is an Anglers Paradise. From November till early January the trout stockings take place giving you yet another target fish not to mention the trout that survive and stay in that part of the river year around. I fish the Guadalupe a lot each year and it is truly one super nice fishery. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Fish Below Canyon on the Guad! [Re: Hunter498] #11054001 08/20/15 09:17 PM
H
Hunter498 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
H
Good News to report!

I took 2 sixteen year olds and 1 seventeen year old with me becuase they wanted to float the river before school starts. I am telling you guys this because I had only a few windows I could fish between picking them up and dropping them off.

I went to the Grueneoutfitters fly shop and spoke with several of the guys that were extremely helpful (Davis) is the only name I remember, nice guy. He told me of a nice spot not too far away by River Acres park and recommended two flies.

I dropped the teenagers off and went to River Acres Park on the Guad, walked upstream from the Common Street Bridge and the action was on. My 5th or 6th cast produced a really nice Bull Rio. I got a pic of him and will post below. I continued to fish upstream and hooked several nice LMB and numerous hand sized longear perch that were some of the most beautiful I have ever caught. In about two hours I managed to catch and release 22 fish in that short stretch.

Wednesday morning dropped the teenagers off at Schlitterbahn and drove up to Pedernales State Park. Got to the park about 945 ish and asked the Park Ranger inside the office where some good places to fly fish would be. I did not receive much help from him, but he did say not to park in any of the numbered campsites! I had studied a map of the park before going so I kinda knew where I wanted to go. I parked between campsite 33 and 34 then walked down a small gravel service road to the river. Second cast really nice longear, tenth cast another big Rio and so it began a great morning of fishing. I did see a guy about half a mile down river in a tube, but no traffic in the 3 hours I was there. I will post of of those pics below as well. Packed up and drove back to New Braunfels, stopped at Dairy Queen and got a belt buster with onion rings, best rings I have had in a long time.

I picked up the boys at Schlitterbahn and dropped them back at the comal river mid afternoon. So I had some time to kill so I went back to River Acres park. Again a epic two hours of nonstop action with several different species. Tubers were light and polite as they went to the other side of the river as they approached me. I only fished about three hundred yards of each side of the river but there was plenty of action. Fantastic trip and I think I will go again in a few weeks without the teenagers. Tuesday night ate at Gristmill and Wednesday night at Alpine Haus, great food both places.

I found that the fish in both places sure liked the crawdad or crawfish colored flies as recommended by Davis at Grueneoutfitters.

Re: Fish Below Canyon on the Guad! [Re: Hunter498] #11054193 08/20/15 11:38 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Good job "Hunter498" Love the Rio! cheers

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide