Page 1 of 2 1 2
am I the only one? and is this normal? #11053273 08/20/15 04:09 PM
M
mad_catter1990 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
M
Well I am a disabled veteran with severe PTSD and I have also been diagnosed with severe bipolar depression and anxiety I am on a cocktail of mental health medications everyday to help me function. But as a child I always loved fishing. Fart I really started getting into it about 4 years ago after I return from Afghanistan and since then it has caused multiple problems with my relationships cluding my current marriage as well as other areas of my life I I am not clear to work or allowed to work due to my condition which allows me to fish sometime as much as 7 days in a row for over 6 to 8 hours or more each day without even catching any fish. I'm beginning to wonder if my fishing has become an unhealthy obsession and addiction method that I use to escape my reality as well as escape my problems and pain I feel on a daily basis. Both physical and mental pain. almost like when people use drugs to get away from their problem and pain. And it's really starting to concern me because I'm at a point in my life where I'm starting to realize the important things in life but I can't seem to stop going fishing no matter what even though it causes all these negative fat in my life I'm still unable to go fishing in moderation instead of compulsively. I was just wondering if I'm the only one that is had this problem or if anybody else has seen somebody with this problem and if maybe there's something that I could do to try to fix the problem without having to completely stop fishing. Because at this rate if I keep doing what I'm doing I'm going to lose the most important woman in my life my wife and I really do not and cannot live without her so any input or suggestions or advice is extremely appreciated but please don't judge me thank you

Last edited by mad_catter1990; 08/20/15 04:14 PM.

PB flathead- 72#
PB Blue cat- 56#
PB Channel- 22#
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: am I the only one? and is this normal? [Re: mad_catter1990] #11053288 08/20/15 04:23 PM
H
HeavyLead Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
Mad Catter,

You wouldn't be the first person to describe their love of fishing as an "addiction". It's probably an accurate description in a lot of cases. I know personally, if I have a string of bad luck, I'm obsessed with turning my luck around. Like gambling.

On the other hand, as human beings and men, I believe we are designed to stay busy. To have an occupation. Not necessarliy a "job", but we need to be occupied with something. If you are unable to work, what else do you think might occupy your time? TV? Booze? You are fishing about 40 hours a week. Sounds like the time most would spend at a job.

Last edited by HeavyLead; 08/20/15 04:24 PM.
Re: am I the only one? and is this normal? [Re: HeavyLead] #11053322 08/20/15 04:39 PM
M
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
M
Originally Posted By: HeavyLead
Mad Catter,

You wouldn't be the first person to describe their love of fishing as an "addiction". It's probably an accurate description in a lot of cases. I know personally, if I have a string of bad luck, I'm obsessed with turning my luck around. Like gambling.

On the other hand, as human beings and men, I believe we are designed to stay busy. To have an occupation. Not necessarliy a "job", but we need to be occupied with something. If you are unable to work, what else do you think might occupy your time? TV? Booze? You are fishing about 40 hours a week. Sounds like the time most would spend at a job.

I know it sounds stupid but with my mental health issues I am unable to hold a job at all trust me I've tried my hardest. When I wake up in the morning I feel like I have no purpose and that causes a lot of anxiety and depression and when I go fishing my only obligation at that time is watching my poles and it's almost as if nothing else in the world exist which is mainly talking about all the problems like my pain and stuff that I deal with on a daily basis...i have to take xanax 4x a day to help cope...be ause i suffer from panic attacks daily. But due to my social anxiety you would never know because i dont show it...which makes it a million times worse because im trapped in my own head..my wife is my caregiver and payee from the va due to me being incompetent which is extremely embarrassing. I am terrified of going into public. I have severe paranoia and the sad part is. I dont even know why. I cant even go and pay for something at a store because im afraid of interacting with the cashier...so my wife is practically my mother and its as if im a child. Which i absolutely hate..and i feel like i am on no way deserving of her..nor anybody...but for some strange reason she sticks around..and as for other hobbies...i cant just sit around and watch tv..i have to be doing something..which is weird considering its impossible for me to hold a job...and i dont drink anymore...i used to alot. And used be mostly normal...until 2011 when i got back from the desert...i just dont know what to do anymore...i currently just started attending a group which is technically considered anger management. But the group actually goes extremely deeper than just anger...and it gets very intense and personal..so im hoping it will help...im also applying for a ptsd service dog from vetdogs of america. Only downfall is the process takes from 6 months to 2 years...

PB flathead- 72#
PB Blue cat- 56#
PB Channel- 22#
Re: am I the only one? and is this normal? [Re: mad_catter1990] #11053355 08/20/15 04:56 PM
O
OPTIMUS PRIME Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
The dog Dalton.... Hang in there until you get the dog.

Re: am I the only one? and is this normal? [Re: mad_catter1990] #11053363 08/20/15 05:03 PM
H
HeavyLead Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
I really hope you do get better. You have a condition and experience not many people can relate to, myself included.

I hope you didn't think I was implying you should get a job, since I know that's not an option for you. I just meant to say that the drive to stay busy is something I think is built into most of us, and I personally don't think you are spending any more time doing alternative activities than a person with a regular job does. Consider that many of us have a 40 hour job, and THEN go fishing all the time. Our fishing problem may be worse. smile

Re: am I the only one? and is this normal? [Re: OPTIMUS PRIME] #11053388 08/20/15 05:10 PM
M
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
M
Originally Posted By: OPTIMUS PRIME
The dog Dalton.... Hang in there until you get the dog.

You can comment on my thread but can't text me back?! Haha. Jk.

PB flathead- 72#
PB Blue cat- 56#
PB Channel- 22#
Re: am I the only one? and is this normal? [Re: HeavyLead] #11053402 08/20/15 05:15 PM
M
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
M
Originally Posted By: HeavyLead
I really hope you do get better. You have a condition and experience not many people can relate to, myself included.

I hope you didn't think I was implying you should get a job, since I know that's not an option for you. I just meant to say that the drive to stay busy is something I think is built into most of us, and I personally don't think you are spending any more time doing alternative activities than a person with a regular job does. Consider that many of us have a 40 hour job, and THEN go fishing all the time. Our fishing problem may be worse. smile

I didn't take it the wrong way and I understand where you're coming from...I'm just concerned because u use fishing almost identically the same way that most drug addicts use drugs...to escape reality. And it's jeopardizing my marriage. For example. I am unable to see my own daughter because the mother is a word I can't say on here. Which affects me daily. ..and my wife has 3 children who I do love and accept as my own. But me and my wife fight because she claims I don't ever wanna go out and do stuff as a fanily..which is true...because it causes me to become very depressed since my only biological daughter isn't there. And I struggle with that alot...and the list goes on and on

PB flathead- 72#
PB Blue cat- 56#
PB Channel- 22#
Re: am I the only one? and is this normal? [Re: mad_catter1990] #11053413 08/20/15 05:19 PM
M
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
M
I also forgot to mention..I have extreme social anxiety...but for some odd reason it doesn't affect me when I'm interacting with other fisherman...that's why I'm able to talk about this stuff publicly on here. I may not know everybody on here. But we can all relate. And I consider ALL of us brothers and one big family and anything and anyone that has anything to do with fishing is my true comfort zone...if that makes sense

PB flathead- 72#
PB Blue cat- 56#
PB Channel- 22#
Re: am I the only one? and is this normal? [Re: mad_catter1990] #11053466 08/20/15 05:40 PM
S
steveiam Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
I'm gonna have you in my prayers-
I really hope You find peace-

What has happed to you does not define who you are-

HOW you react to what happens to you DOES!
Re: am I the only one? and is this normal? [Re: steveiam] #11053483 08/20/15 05:44 PM
M
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
M
Originally Posted By: steveiam
I'm gonna have you in my prayers-
I really hope You find peace-

I really appreciate that..see...this is why I didn't want to move back to topeka, ks craphole...I miss texas so much and everybody in it...AA

PB flathead- 72#
PB Blue cat- 56#
PB Channel- 22#
Re: am I the only one? and is this normal? [Re: mad_catter1990] #11053623 08/20/15 06:26 PM
C
Chemdawg Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
trust me you are not alone in this many many of the guys i take fishing have sever ptsd to in cloud my self. the thing is to start counciling for your issue. and try to take other guys with the same problems as you out with you so you can just talk about it. i will be the fist one to clam up around most peoplle but after taking guys out how were way way worse them me it help to know and see that there were guys going through this as well. i got started back in fishing after my sconed deploymeht that was supos to be just 15months but i was in country lost to 20month because the our replacement were Nasty Gauardsmen and to scared to leave the fob and do therey job they they acolyte refused to leave the gates so we had to make them go that meant going back out in the hell hole with guys who were to scared to engage when being fired at the found it easier to just keep rolling any how i meant this guy who was a Nam vet he would show up at my house every saturday take make me go with me he him self suffered from ptsd he just found a way to go fishing and help others he is also the one who made me go see someone about my issues the ball is in your court you know what you need to do so do it if your marriage is that important to you would go get some help the long you go the hard it is and soon you will be left with nothing but an empty house this is why i make bait and take people fishing and i started to guid I dam sure dont need the money with 3 retirement checks I make more now then i ever did as a SSG whith bah bas not to mention every thing i make is tax free i do it as an out let I could guid 7 day a week with as many phone calles i get but i dont do it more the a few times a week I dont charge much because i am not it in to make money i could charge more and get it Ihave had guy ofer me double my rate a few times if i would go out more then 3 days a week I dont need the money i use it as an out let for my anxiety and my temper. so you need to fine a way to balance you fishing and your family and go see a councler who specializes i ptsd out side of the va the vey doctor see somany people in a day they really dont seem to care at all. The only thing i have found the va good for is finding guys who want to go fishing but either cant afford it are are not healthy enough to go out by them selfs

Last edited by Chemdawg; 08/20/15 06:53 PM.
Re: am I the only one? and is this normal? [Re: Chemdawg] #11053700 08/20/15 07:04 PM
M
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
M
Originally Posted By: Chemdawg
trust me you are not alone in this many many of the guys i take fishing have sever ptsd to in cloud my self. the thing is to start counciling for your issue. and try to take other guys with the same problems as you out with you so you can just talk about it. i will be the fist one to clam up around most peoplle but after taking guys out how were way way worse them me it help to know and see that there were guys going through this as well. i got started back in fishing after my sconed deploymeht that was supos to be just 15months but i was in country lost to 20month because the our replacement were Nasty Gauardsmen and to scared to leave the fob and do therey job they they acolyte refused to leave the gates so we had to make them go that meant going back out in the hell hole with guys who were to scared to engage when being fired at the found it easier to just keep rolling any how i meant this guy who was a Nam vet he would show up at my house every saturday take make me go with me he him self suffered from ptsd he just found a way to go fishing and help others he is also the one who made me go see someone about my issues the ball is in your court you know what you need to do so do it if your marriage is that important to you would go get some help the long you go the hard it is and soon you will be left with nothing but an empty house this is why i make bait and take people fishing and i started to guid I dam sure dont need the money with 3 retirement checks I make more now then i ever did as a SSG whith bah bas not to mention every thing i make is tax free i do it as an out let I could guid 7 day a week with as many phone calles i get but i dont do it more the a few times a week I dont charge much because i am not it in to make money i could charge more and get it Ihave had guy ofer me double my rate a few times if i would go out more then 3 days a week I dont need the money i use it as an out let for my anxiety and my temper. so you need to fine a way to balance you fishing and your family and go see a councler who specializes i ptsd out side of the va the vey doctor see somany people in a day they really dont seem to care at all. The only thing i have found the va good for is finding guys who want to go fishing but either cant afford it are are not healthy enough to go out by them selfs

I already have therapy and marriage counseling once a week outside the va. And I just started this group to help me. I think the group is gonna be a big help. I've only just started tho. It's a 24 week group. Then you can come back after that 24 weeks without having to pay

PB flathead- 72#
PB Blue cat- 56#
PB Channel- 22#
Re: am I the only one? and is this normal? [Re: mad_catter1990] #11053770 08/20/15 07:36 PM
D
DavidWhatley Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
D
You say you used to drink. Go to AA by chance? If so, your still welcome here. Also, if you didnt go to AA, then start, "the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking".
Get some phone numbers of people here, and talk to them, just be considerate of their time. Your welcome to have mine, PM me if you want it. I spend a lot of time in the car so, I have time to talk.
Volunteer somewhere, anywhere. Doesnt matter. The key is to be busy. Go to the local walmart and gather all the loose carts in the parking lot up. Call your local church, they are always looking for volunteers.
David

"Every man must live with the man that he makes of himself, and the better job he does at molding his character and improving his mind, the better company he will have."
Pauline Whatley

A wise man once said.......Nothing
Re: am I the only one? and is this normal? [Re: mad_catter1990] #11053775 08/20/15 07:42 PM
F
Fishin' Nut Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
Try some form of behavior modification therapy. Don't use fishing as an escape, use it as a reward. You say your wife is your primary care giver. Then wake up each morning with a goal to do something to make her life easier. Ask her, what can I do to help you. Accomplish it, then reward yourself.

Originally Posted by OTFF
He is truly a sick individual.
Re: am I the only one? and is this normal? [Re: Fishin' Nut] #11053888 08/20/15 08:26 PM
S
steveiam Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Fishin' Nut
Try some form of behavior modification therapy. Don't use fishing as an escape, use it as a reward. You say your wife is your primary care giver. Then wake up each morning with a goal to do something to make her life easier. Ask her, what can I do to help you. Accomplish it, then reward yourself.

Wisdom here-

What has happed to you does not define who you are-

HOW you react to what happens to you DOES!
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide