Page 1 of 2 1 2
Making a new batch of Catfish Cocaine #11050946 08/19/15 03:39 PM
M
Muzzlebrake Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Started a new batch of my homemade dough bait. Cheese and 3 of the secret ingredients already mixed. Waiting on the hot sun to cook this before I add the other two ingredients. This batch will be about 3 gallons when finished in about a week. Making bait is quite a bit of work but a lot of satisfaction when you see that cork go under.

From Genesis: "And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the earth."

Then He made the earth round...and He laughed and laughed and laughed!

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Making a new batch of Catfish Cocaine [Re: Muzzlebrake] #11050977 08/19/15 03:54 PM
Txmedic033 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I make just about every kind of artificial baits and I agree. There's a ton of satisfaction when you can catch something that you made yourself.

Re: Making a new batch of Catfish Cocaine [Re: Muzzlebrake] #11051025 08/19/15 04:15 PM
C
Chemdawg Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
in stead of letting the sun do its work put it in a pot on low med head and let it melt it down its faster you just have to watch it and steer it often you oddest wont to burn your cheese its freaking expensive

Re: Making a new batch of Catfish Cocaine [Re: Muzzlebrake] #11051029 08/19/15 04:16 PM
B
Big Sam Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Nice sifter!!! cheers

If it ain't broke don't fix it...but go ahead and work on it anyway.....
Re: Making a new batch of Catfish Cocaine [Re: Chemdawg] #11051165 08/19/15 05:04 PM
W
WillieRip Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
W
Originally Posted by Chemdawg
in stead of letting the sun do its work put it in a pot on low med head and let it melt it down its faster you just have to watch it and steer it often you oddest wont to burn your cheese its freaking expensive

That's exactly what I do, ChemDawg.

Black Warrior Lures
Slip floats that get'em in the boat!
blackwarriorlures.com
Re: Making a new batch of Catfish Cocaine [Re: Muzzlebrake] #11051424 08/19/15 06:42 PM
M
Muzzlebrake Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
I have done it on a stove and it works out the same. I have a problem with doing it in the house. Her name is Angie.

From Genesis: "And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the earth."

Re: Making a new batch of Catfish Cocaine [Re: Muzzlebrake] #11051476 08/19/15 07:05 PM
M
Muzzlebrake Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
I added about a pound of Prosopis glandulosa flour to this batch just fer grins. It was left over and just sitting in the fridge so why not?

Re: Making a new batch of Catfish Cocaine [Re: Muzzlebrake] #11051485 08/19/15 07:08 PM
W
WillieRip Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
W
hehe! Exactly why I'm not married.

Black Warrior Lures
Slip floats that get'em in the boat!
blackwarriorlures.com
Re: Making a new batch of Catfish Cocaine [Re: WillieRip] #11063293 08/25/15 09:11 PM
D
Don G Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Originally Posted by WillieRip
Originally Posted by Chemdawg

That's exactly what I do, ChemDawg.

First of all thank you Muzzelblake for posting this thread and would love to know those secret ingredients. Best of luck in your quest to fill the freezer with some delicious channel cat fillets.

And many thanks to you WillieRip for posting the video. I am retired and have been playing with the idea of making some punch bait of my own and your video was the most instructive I have seen. Done gone an ordered the cheese and fish oil. Now I just have to figure out a way to explain to the wife why I spent ggod money on rotten cheese LOL. Thanks Again for a great video.

Don G
Re: Making a new batch of Catfish Cocaine [Re: Muzzlebrake] #11065286 08/26/15 06:28 PM
U
UGLYSHCTICK Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
U
the secret ingredient is.......

LOVE.

blush

Just want to make folks smile, and spit coffee on their keyboard.

If you put beans in your chili, you don't know beans about chili.

God doesn't create temporary people, you will spend eternity somewhere. Choose wisely.
Re: Making a new batch of Catfish Cocaine [Re: Chemdawg] #11066471 08/27/15 04:23 AM
T
taterpop Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Chemdawg
I use a large double boiler that keeps it from sticking or scorching.

Re: Making a new batch of Catfish Cocaine [Re: taterpop] #11066887 08/27/15 02:29 PM
M
Muzzlebrake Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: taterpop
Originally Posted By: Chemdawg
I use a large double boiler that keeps it from sticking or scorching.

That's what I use if I do the propane burner thing.
Been too hot to work outside so I just let the sun do the work for me.

Re: Making a new batch of Catfish Cocaine [Re: Muzzlebrake] #11066898 08/27/15 02:32 PM
M
Muzzlebrake Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Prosopis glandulosa flour or Mesquite bean flour has a natural sweetness and natural cinnamon flavor.
Does it work? Well it don't hurt anything near as I can tell. I only used it because it was there for free.

Re: Making a new batch of Catfish Cocaine [Re: Muzzlebrake] #11070766 08/29/15 07:06 AM
C
Chemdawg Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
cheese release an amino protein when it breaks down in water catfish are attracted to this protein, wich make it of of the more effective baits for channels cats have a very strong senses of smell as we all know they are abled to pick of the sent tastest or what ever you want to call it. it triggers them to actively feed when i chum i catch fish that are so full of it it is spewing out of there mouth while i am reeling them in . in my cooler i bet i have about 5 cups of chum catfish spit out while in there. I chum the hell out of ever spot i fish i use dog food scoopers and thought out min of 4-5 scoops up to 7 once i have them there and there hitting good get 45-1hr i toss out 2 more scoops what the thing like oils and other sent is put of a stronger sent along with the that amino protein that is casused by the break down of the cheeses i put 4 thing in my bait to make it effective and none of it is rotten spoiled to stinks as anyone who has used it knows. to be effective bait does not need to be stinky there is a difference between smell in the air and smellel in the water. I have hear of guys using ear plugs soked in anisen oil and doing very well on cats. Madaheman oil dose not work well i played with it last year it it aptly caught a lot less with it added. My grand father said when he was a kid they use to just take a chance of cheddar or goat cheese and put on the hook and it worked very well. the issue with this now days is the price of cheese. hence the reason it cost so much for use to sell it if you like guys like Stubby and I are going to get rich off making cheese bait there is no way cheese cost so much then you have to figure in the shipping. it not like such bait that have 90% fillel. on of my 32oz jars weaghs 5 pounds or more if you ever looked at the weight from the post office on the shipping stamp it will give you the weight. I will tell you the worst place to buy cheese os from Cattfish connection lucky7 brand i believe is what he sells. I contaed them out of Illinois what is in that bucket is a by product of the cheese making process it is more of a grasses goop that stick to hell. when i buy cheese what is get are hung chunck of cheese yellow cheddar and white cheddar and some goat cheese once in a while. there is no mold or spolieg i have there phone number here somewhere to the lucky 7 company here somewhere . unless you are bord and have the money to toss around making a good cheese based bait is just palin expensive. the reason i was able to drop my price is because i get it discounted at whole sale the guy who sells me the cheese also own a bait and tackel shop on La he stocks my bait and is a disable Nam Vet i wish i cold remember that study and post it it was done my a collage in CA it was about 15 pages it even when int to depth how when they open up the gates on the lake and let out 4in of water i a shot period the water chang the channels and most other cats will suspend take 6ins out in a shot period they will trop to the bottom and stay there for a day or so drop it 10in or more and there were aptly able to take sticks and poke the fish and they would not budge thats why i alway check the lake levels the day before i go fishing if they had let to much water out it will be a very slow day. I have tried to look the report up sever time but just cant seem to fined it and the only reason i remember those parts is that i copped them and paseted them on a word documet with my notes. all the extra stuff like oils really dont in hacne there cathfish artraction enough to make it worth it. you can take straight velveta cheese melt it down and add some add some flour and have a great bait down side is that velvet is a very soft cheese. and falls off the hook pretty fast it is a good hoppy if its what you want to get in to. but it is satisfying seing a cooler full of fish of something you made good luck on your bait hope it works well for you it is time consuming and lots of labor but i make mine right on the kitchen stove and the only thing it smell like is a cheese pizza

i know my spelling suck and my post are hard to read but i hope it helps someone out some how in there bait making endeavors

Last edited by Chemdawg; 08/29/15 07:08 AM.
Re: Making a new batch of Catfish Cocaine [Re: Muzzlebrake] #11071426 08/29/15 07:13 PM
M
Muzzlebrake Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
Dang right that cheese is too high. The stuff I get at WalMart is the cheapest I have found. I only make up 6 pounds of cheese at a time and it still costs me over $20 just for the cheese. And it lasts me about half the year. When I get down to my final 1/2 gallon I make some more. Cheese is the key ingredient for sure. I also use whatever I get find for free or left overs to make up the rest. All old flour, Masa, or cornmeal etc that is old or has weevils in it goes into the bait making bucket. Of course no bacon grease goes to waste either smile
Almost forgot, that Garlic ain't cheap either.

Last edited by Muzzlebrake; 08/29/15 07:14 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide