Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: fishing friendly first car [Re: bassdoode] #11049898 08/18/15 10:49 PM
Y
YAMADOGGY Offline
Angler
Angler
Y
YOU HAVE TO KEEP IN MIND STOPPING POWER, HEAVY BOAT WILL PUSH A LIGHT VEHICHLE.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: fishing friendly first car [Re: Douglas J] #11050043 08/19/15 12:01 AM
lakeforkfisherman Offline
Elliptical Mechanic
Elliptical Mechanic
Originally Posted By: Doug R.
My first truck was a 1972 Ford F150 with a strait 6 and a 3 on the tree. grin
For our younger audience, this is old fart talk for a 6 non "V" cylinder engine where the shifter for the transmission was on the steering column. And yes, there were only 3 forward gears. Good luck finding reverse.

LET’S GO BRANDON!!!
Re: fishing friendly first car [Re: lakeforkfisherman] #11050268 08/19/15 02:05 AM
S
SteezMacQueen Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: lakeforkfisherman
For our younger audience, this is old fart talk for a 6 non "V" cylinder engine where the shifter for the transmission was on the steering column. And yes, there were only 3 forward gears. Good luck finding reverse.
yessir. My first was a ford F100 with the same setup. Haha. And no power brakes, no power steering, no A/C, and no radio. Ordered it that way from the dealership. "Frontier Ford" in Lewisville. It pulled my Taylor Craft SS jet boat just fine. Never once did it fail to stop. Nor did it fail to get the boat up the ramp. And it had 235/75-15 radial tires. CHEAP TIRES. never felt "un safe". I think the Taylor weighed around the same as a modern bass boat. It was 18'10" and had a cast iron 455 Olds motor. 40 gallon tanks. And lots of marine grade plywood. Not aluminum.

Edit. Reverse was up and towards the rear. First was way down and towards the rear. Second was far forward and way up. Looked like a fool trying to power shift from first to second. Lol.

Last edited by SteezMacQueen; 08/19/15 02:08 AM.

Eat. Sleep. Fish.
Re: fishing friendly first car [Re: Mulholland] #11050434 08/19/15 04:21 AM
Santonio Banderas Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: Mulholland
[quote=RedRaider3933]I'm thinking there are going to be a lot of horror stories about the small diesel trucks. Sure you can pull that 21 foot boat, but have fun stopping it if you get into a sticky situation or bad weather.

That's just ignorant talk... a modern "compact" pickup truck casts about the same size shadow as a modern "full size" truck. The difference is not that large, about half a foot in width. And any modern "compact" truck probably has about 10x the safety and strength of most 20yr+ old half tons.

You are fooling yourself if you believe elsewise. If you have a 90's "full size" and feel big, go pull p to the new dealer of your choosing and line it up next to their top trim "compact" truck and see how you measure up. The Colorado Duramax is going to be an absolute monster of a truck. Also worth bearing in mind most of my diesel truck driving buddies with full sized diesels run high 10's in the 1/4, and I am no stranger to building fast toys. The only thing a slightly lighter weight truck with the same size brakes and tires is going to do different than your full size truck towing the same rig is stop quicker, and accelerate faster. Only reason to have a heavier duty truck than that would be if you need to be able to handle 8,000lb+ payloads on a regular basis... and even my tremendously overweight old 20ft bass rig struggles to break 2500lb or so fully rigged, so I'll wager most people don't need more truck than that for bass fishing. [/

To have a Colorado or Ram 1500 in a diesel is ridiculous and aimed at the "don't need a heavy duty but want a diesel" crowd. It absolutely drives me insane that diesel trucks have become almost out of reach for guys that really need them because a guy can convince his wife and himself that he needs one. There isn't a bass boat out there that needs a heavy duty truck to pull it. I have a f350 6.7 diesel that I use on a daily basis to haul bulls, skidsteer, small dozers etc and I let it sit and have rest once in a while and use the wife's 1/2 Yukon to haul our 21' bass boat around on weekends. I will say on a side note that my truck (no lift) will cast a whole lot bigger shadow than a Colorado will and there is in no way a comparison of the two trucks. There is simply no need for a mid size or half ton diesel other than to drive the market.

Re: fishing friendly first car [Re: bassdoode] #11050560 08/19/15 11:43 AM
R
Rockinjmk Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
R
A cheep (now atleast) would be a 2000 model F-150. I had an 01 with the 4.2 v6. It was a great truck with plenty of power to pull my boat and safely do it. Finally traded it in with 210k miles and all I had to do was change an alternator once.

Re: fishing friendly first car [Re: bassdoode] #11050609 08/19/15 12:35 PM
K
Kevin Bryant Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
I pulled a 20' Champion with a 2002 Trailblazer XL with a big V6 in it for a couple years. I also pulled it with a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a straight 6. For hauling to lakes within an hour, both did the job pretty well. Now I drive an F150 with ecoboost, it's a beast. It'll get between 12-14 mpg pulling the boat if there aren't a bunch of hills. And with about $1200 worth of parts, you can really boost your horsepower and torque.

The real question here is, what's your budget?

MBC & Associates, LLC
Specialty Commercial Construction & Asset Management
Roofing Project Manager and Moisture Consultant
Certified Infrared Thermographer
IRMS & HAAG Certified Inspector
C: (214) 289-2601
Re: fishing friendly first car [Re: Mulholland] #11051115 08/19/15 04:49 PM
R
RedRaider3933 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Originally Posted By: RedRaider3933
I'm thinking there are going to be a lot of horror stories about the small diesel trucks. Sure you can pull that 21 foot boat, but have fun stopping it if you get into a sticky situation or bad weather.

That's just ignorant talk... a modern "compact" pickup truck casts about the same size shadow as a modern "full size" truck. The difference is not that large, about half a foot in width. And any modern "compact" truck probably has about 10x the safety and strength of most 20yr+ old half tons.

You are fooling yourself if you believe elsewise. If you have a 90's "full size" and feel big, go pull p to the new dealer of your choosing and line it up next to their top trim "compact" truck and see how you measure up. The Colorado Duramax is going to be an absolute monster of a truck. Also worth bearing in mind most of my diesel truck driving buddies with full sized diesels run high 10's in the 1/4, and I am no stranger to building fast toys. The only thing a slightly lighter weight truck with the same size brakes and tires is going to do different than your full size truck towing the same rig is stop quicker, and accelerate faster. Only reason to have a heavier duty truck than that would be if you need to be able to handle 8,000lb+ payloads on a regular basis... and even my tremendously overweight old 20ft bass rig struggles to break 2500lb or so fully rigged, so I'll wager most people don't need more truck than that for bass fishing.

All I was saying is that I would feel a lot safer in a full size half ton if I had to slam on the brakes with a boat behind me. I don't think its that ignorant to say it will be harder to stop a big boat with a significantly lighter vehicle.

Go Tech
Re: fishing friendly first car [Re: bassdoode] #11051166 08/19/15 05:04 PM
D
Dubee Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
D
I want a 10 second diesel 3/4 ton. Lol

Re: fishing friendly first car [Re: Dubee] #11051249 08/19/15 05:34 PM
epicoutdoors Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Dubee
I want a 10 second diesel 3/4 ton. Lol

Me too but good luck with that!

Re: fishing friendly first car [Re: YAMADOGGY] #11051292 08/19/15 05:59 PM
M
Mulholland Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: YAMADOGGY
YOU HAVE TO KEEP IN MIND STOPPING POWER, HEAVY BOAT WILL PUSH A LIGHT VEHICHLE.

Brakes, tires, wheelbase > weight for controlling a load.

What do you think a semi truck cab weighs in relation to the loads it carries? Where do you think it gets its ability to control a load? Why do you think an 18 wheeler has 18 wheels instead of just having a cab that weighs as much as the load it is carrying?

Caps lock doesn't make you any less ignorant or more correct in your misbeliefs. The boat has no acceleration. It can't push anything. The momentum of the combined total load is simply only being controlled by the same 4 wheels and tires on the truck, unless you have trailer brakes. That's it. A heavier truck doesn't magically push back and resist the overwhelming force of your huge boat. Structural integrity of the vehicle frame aside, a lighter truck with a similar wheelbase, the same wheels, tires, and brakes, WILL stop better with the same load. I reiterate, the only purpose of heavier duty trucks is for more heavy duty applications, i.e. 8k+lb capable rigs, but at this point, the line between compact trucks and full size, non heavy duty trucks has been erased in terms of what the truck is capable of, and instead only exists in terms of cabin amenities and occupiable space. You get a roomier cab, and more capable powerplants as standard, but against a properly optioned compact, you aren't at any huge advantage. The new Colorado Duramax will out perform my current full size in every way except how many passenger I can comfortably seat. You are arguing about a 500lb difference in weight between a Colorado and a Silverado on average, just to give you an idea here, with 0 difference in wheelbase/overall length, and just a 1/2 foot less width about.

If heavier vehicles towed better we would all be towing with Suburbans not Silverados. Sadly you are wrong and more weight makes the vehicle performe worse in every single way, including towing. Weight is the enemy of all performance metrics, save perhaps for crash safety, in some instances, as more mass vs less mass is superior given all other things equal.

Stop thinking the "full size" is larger than the "compact" because it just isn't nowadays like what it used to be, even if more mass meant better towing, that wouldn't be a way the "full size" had a significant advantage. Wheelbase, tires (material footprint and composition), brakes, and structural capacity = name of the game.

Re: fishing friendly first car [Re: bassdoode] #11051305 08/19/15 06:05 PM
K
KingwoodCat Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Originally Posted By: bassdoode
So im getting my first car and want something that i can pull a boat (fx21) and be able to throw some poles in so me and my buddies can pond hop that isn't expensive. Something that is sparing on gas mileage as well! I'm afraid a v6 might not have enough power to pull a 21 foot boat up a ramp unless its a bigger v6, but a v8 won't do as well on gas mileage. any ideas guys?

Depends on how much money you have to spend. I would think an Eco-Boost F-150 is just the ticket for you.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a look at the American Indian".

Henry Ford
Re: fishing friendly first car [Re: Santonio Banderas] #11051320 08/19/15 06:11 PM
M
Mulholland Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: R6crew
[quote=RedRaider3933]I'm thinking there are going to be a lot of horror stories about the small diesel trucks. Sure you can pull that 21 foot boat, but have fun stopping it if you get into a sticky situation or bad weather.

To have a Colorado or Ram 1500 in a diesel is ridiculous and aimed at the "don't need a heavy duty but want a diesel" crowd. It absolutely drives me insane that diesel trucks have become almost out of reach for guys that really need them because a guy can convince his wife and himself that he needs one. There isn't a bass boat out there that needs a heavy duty truck to pull it. I have a f350 6.7 diesel that I use on a daily basis to haul bulls, skidsteer, small dozers etc and I let it sit and have rest once in a while and use the wife's 1/2 Yukon to haul our 21' bass boat around on weekends. I will say on a side note that my truck (no lift) will cast a whole lot bigger shadow than a Colorado will and there is in no way a comparison of the two trucks. There is simply no need for a mid size or half ton diesel other than to drive the market.

You are mad that they are saturating the market with more diesels... because you are upset how out of reach very low volume (comparatively) diesel trucks currently are...? hammer dunce Welcome to capitalist free market economy...

The only way diesel vehicles get more accessible is by producing more of them. And you are comparing a HD truck to a compact, I am telling people not to compare a 1/2 ton standard truck with a compact and think they have more capability nowadays. That's comparing apples to pineapples because they both have apple in them, two very different animals obviously. A 3500 is way above and beyond a 1500, but a 1500 comparably equipped is nothing above a comparably equipped compact nowadays. Not saying either shake a stick to a proper HD truck, saying either functions the same as a standard tow rig aka 1/2 ton, full size truck/suv, or modern compact truck. A new Colorado is more capable than an old Silverado. We aren't discussing rangers and little s10's any more.... 4500lb truck, 400lbft torque (stock before I get my hands on it...) plenty of bass boat hauling capability.

edit:
Some fun links and info.
http://www.forconstructionpros.com/produ...do-capabilities

7700 max towing vs the max Silverado 1500 reaching 9300 fully optioned as a tow rig... and every bit as capable if not more actual performance wise when towing, against the gas engine offerings. the 2500 HD reaches 13klb and obviously is the rig you need if you regularly do 8k+ lb hauls, as stated form my very first post on the matter, but under that, for us regular folks towing toys and needing toy haulers, it's no contest imo.

Last edited by Mulholland; 08/19/15 06:19 PM.
Re: fishing friendly first car [Re: bassdoode] #11051779 08/19/15 09:04 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
My suburban gets 20mpg and 15 pulling a trailer. It is big and heavy. The only time that I feel a trailer behind me is when I am stopping. I do like the v8 and not feeling like I am pulling anything but what I enjoy the most is never getting the squirly feeling when driving at highway speeds and towing. I've towed with small vehicles that had short wheel nases before and had thd trailer start swaying and thought I was going to lose control. i really enjoy having the added storage space to carry all my gear secured in the truck when on the road.

You can get the power out of a v6 nowadays and you can het the economy out of a v8. I believe yheir is less strain on the larger motor for the long run. j would consider interior size a major consideration for stowing gear, especially if you need to make a pitstop and not have it stolen from your boat.

I've considered buying a car for daily commutes and just an old truck for the boat and have the best of all worlds

Re: fishing friendly first car [Re: bassdoode] #11051938 08/19/15 10:08 PM
A
Andrew Y'Barbo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
I'm happy with my ecodiesel. I miss my 4x4 Silverado for ruggedness but the Ram is far superior for highway traveling.

Re: fishing friendly first car [Re: Douglas J] #11052277 08/20/15 01:10 AM
R
Rayzor Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
R

Ha! 64 Falcon, 260 V8, 3 on the tree!

Be safe,
Rayzor
[Linked Image]