61 Forums
858483 Topics
11261970 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Topic Options
#11046425 - 08/17/15 05:45 AM Slip Corking for Channels Outside Texas
WillieRip Offline
Angler

I'm over here in Alabama. Man, trying to get people to fish for cats other than cut bait off the bottom is like trying to uproot a 50 year oak tree.

I developed these float about a year ago. Most sales come from Texas or the Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri corridor. Thanks to all you who have bought them tried them and even made your own version of them. Here's a quick video of them in action.

If anyone want to try one, I'll pay to mail one out to you to try. PM or shoot me an e-mail damon [at] blackwarriorlures [dot] com.

Edited by WillieRip (08/17/15 05:48 AM)

#11046472 - 08/17/15 06:45 AM Re: Slip Corking for Channels Outside Texas [Re: WillieRip]
fmclee Offline
Pro Angler

Loc: Stephenville,TX
Sent you an order on paypal

#11046567 - 08/17/15 08:11 AM Re: Slip Corking for Channels Outside Texas [Re: WillieRip]
WillieRip Offline
Angler

Oh, thanks! I did get that. I'll get these in the mail this afternoon or tomorrow. I'll send you tracking numbers via Pay Pal. Thanks for your order. Let me know how they fish. This is the last of the soft metal eyes.

If you want the hard metal eyelets, then It'll be later this week before I can ship them out. Let me know.

Thanks for buying!

#11046572 - 08/17/15 08:13 AM Re: Slip Corking for Channels Outside Texas [Re: WillieRip]
CATFISH KILLER Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Gillett Texas
PM me on a price for 50 of them. I make a Cheesebait and sell it. I have been trying to find a slip cork that was easy to use. My bait is called Big Marv's Cheesebait.
Big Marv

#11046624 - 08/17/15 08:46 AM Re: Slip Corking for Channels Outside Texas [Re: WillieRip]
Fishin' Nut Online   content
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Huntsville, AL
I just moved from Texas to Huntsville, AL and have yet to figure out how to catch these Alabama catfish. So if you want to give me a personal demonstration.... banana

Kirk Long (Kikr) March 4, 1959 - June 19, 2009
I guess the Lord needed a fishing buddy more than me.

#11047910 - 08/17/15 07:04 PM Re: Slip Corking for Channels Outside Texas [Re: Fishin' Nut]
ChuChu1 Online   content
Extreme Angler

Loc: Gonzales, Tx
Originally Posted By: Fishin' Nut
I just moved from Texas to Huntsville, AL and have yet to figure out how to catch these Alabama catfish. So if you want to give me a personal demonstration.... banana

One popular method is fishing the rocks in side channels off the lake or river. I April pitch a bait, we used worms, in the cracks under a float set about 3 to 4 ft. deep. In the main river channel, look for humps that drop from 30 to 70 ft. deep. Use turkey livers and cut skipjack. A heavy 5 to 6 oz, sinker on bottom with two hooks about 1 and 2 feet above the sinker. Use circle hooks. You want to set your troll motor to just let the current take you down stream, slow so you can keep the sinker bouncing on the bottom. Give and take line so the sinker walks on the bottom. Usually when the bait hits the bottom of a hump it will load up. Lean back and reel! This works in the Tennessee River, ONLY WHEN THEY ARE GENERATING AND A GOOD CURRENT!

Member:
Stephen F Austin's Old 300
Sons of Confederate Veterans
Sons of The Republic of Texas

#11047945 - 08/17/15 07:24 PM Re: Slip Corking for Channels Outside Texas [Re: WillieRip]
jason77 Offline
Outdoorsman

Willie, your corks a pretty good, I tried them. The major issue I had with them was the eye. They would bend so easy and get the bead stuck or slid over the top of the bead and knot. After a while they all broke. I use the ones chemdawgs son makes. He got the idea from yours. He just put a screw in eye in the end and wood glued them in. I have broke a few off getting hung up. But never an eye failure. These are great style cork. I did post them on your thread but I removed it . I did not want to hijack your thread. I will post them on a new thread

Edited by jason77 (08/17/15 07:28 PM)

#11048340 - 08/17/15 10:52 PM Re: Slip Corking for Channels Outside Texas [Re: WillieRip]
WillieRip Offline
Angler

My float are developed from traditional British waggler floats such as these. They use and have used the same type of eyelet for centuries: http://traditionalfishingfloats.co.uk/

I was using a softer aluminum jewelry wire, but now I'm using #32 stainless steel safety wire. I've sold the last of the old soft wire in the long floats, although there are still plenty of short floats with the soft wire left.

Here's the original batch of floats I made one weekend:

The true bodied-Waggler-style float. I no longer make this one as the mid body positioning of the float works much better. I believe the low-bodied Waggler castser better. The Mid-body design is more sensitive.

Started out curing these outside on my steps:

A terrible rain ruined a whole batch of floats, so I had to move production inside:

Then I learned how to use an airbrush. Really the natural wood is most visible, but everyone wants the color. I went ahead, bit the bullet and bought an airbrush.

I mostly do basic colors now.

Although I generally don't do blue and white anymore, I often do a patriotic color around Memorial Day and July 4th.

These are basically the only colors I do now other that special holiday colors:

Hope you enjoyed this little picture gallery. Sort of a continuation of my dad's work.

Damon

P.S., As always if you want to try one, PM or shoot me a message at damon [at] blackwarriorlures [dot] com, and I'll pay to mail one out to you.

#11048634 - 08/18/15 08:18 AM Re: Slip Corking for Channels Outside Texas [Re: Fishin' Nut]
WillieRip Offline
Angler

Yeah, over here we are bound by hydro-electric dam schedule, and It's aggravating. Most days I resort to simple bream fishing. Bass fishermen have the same problem. Lot of times the fish won't bite unless the power is running. They always have at least one floodgate open, even in the dry summer.

Edited by WillieRip (08/18/15 08:19 AM)

#11049237 - 08/18/15 01:18 PM Re: Slip Corking for Channels Outside Texas [Re: WillieRip]
taterpop Offline
Pro Angler

Damon is a master at hand tieing those slip floats,at one time he had a U-Tube on how he ties them.Great workmanship!

#11050469 - 08/19/15 12:07 AM Re: Slip Corking for Channels Outside Texas [Re: WillieRip]
Chemdawg Offline
Extreme Angler

you really should look in to the screw in eyelets granted the wrapping looks nice but that thats it. with the 3mm eye you dont have to worry about the bobber slipping over the bead and knot. I think we maker ours a bit longer about 14in and I still use them in 1 foot of water. some one else made corks like this but they wanted a small fortune we dont have much money invested in ours our time the hardest think is taking the hand drill to drill out the cork for the down painting the whole strike makes it easier to see in the direct sunlight and glair off the water they have been selling pretty good as of lake check amazon for those screw in eyelet if you cant fined them let me now and i ill send you a link how did you like that stuff i send you

#11050477 - 08/19/15 12:33 AM Re: Slip Corking for Channels Outside Texas [Re: WillieRip]
WillieRip Offline
Angler

I always use a swivel on mine, so I've never had the bead slip through, and it makes for quick disconnect. What I really want to do is replace the eyelet with a swivel.

Mine are 18 inches long. The dowels come in 36 inch lengths. I cut them in half, and they're all 18 inches. The smaller floats are 9 inches.

A drill press to drill out the corks saves time:

Edited by WillieRip (08/19/15 12:37 AM)

#11050486 - 08/19/15 12:52 AM Re: Slip Corking for Channels Outside Texas [Re: WillieRip]
WillieRip Offline
Angler

Your bait is great in the heat. I've never seen a cheese bait that didn't melt down. Your holds up in the heat better than anything I've tried. My Helix 5 is out of commission so I couldn't find any fish other than bream that day.

Edited by WillieRip (08/19/15 12:52 AM)

#11051199 - 08/19/15 12:15 PM Re: Slip Corking for Channels Outside Texas [Re: WillieRip]
Jimbo Online   content
TFF Guru

Loc: South Texas
Damon, I've always fished with slip corks but I use the standard pencil type corks that they sell in the local stores and never have used those long 18" corks like you make.
My question is, and there is nobody better to ask than someone like you who fishes them, but what is the advantage over the typical store bought small pencil corks?
Are they really that more sensitive for detecting a bite?
I may have to get some and try them for myself but I'm curious as to why and maybe you could explain.
Never too late to learn something new!

© 1998-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide