Forums59
Topics1,039,203
Posts13,960,871
Members144,194
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: What if there isn't enough wind to drift? [Re: Got the Fever] #11036307 08/12/15 12:59 AM
O
olenarey87 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
O
Rick, looks like I have my bait buddy for the winter!!! Lol

Thanks,
Olen
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: What if there isn't enough wind to drift? [Re: Got the Fever] #11036517 08/12/15 02:18 AM
B
big10 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Great thread guys! Well written info rick!!!

Jerry Dillard
Re: What if there isn't enough wind to drift? [Re: Got the Fever] #11036766 08/12/15 05:54 AM
TxCatfishGuide Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler

iPilot + iPilot Link will change the way you fish for catfish.

Worth every penny.

Re: What if there isn't enough wind to drift? [Re: Got the Fever] #11036789 08/12/15 10:21 AM
B
Blues Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Great info Rick!

So the conversation last night...

Me, " I have to get a new TM before winter..."
Wife, " you already have one?"
Me, " yea but it's old and don't work real good anymore.."
Her, " WTH will it cost!?"
Me, " the one I like?, about $1000."
Her, " seriously?"
Me, " sounds bad but I'll have it for a long time, helps when drifting, finding bait, pulling anchors," blah, blah
Her, " you do all that when we fish and all without using the trolling motor..."
Me, " you don't understand"
Her, " I guess I don't." Then she walked off....

So looks like I'm good, she didn't say no!!!.. woot

Re: What if there isn't enough wind to drift? [Re: olenarey87] #11037195 08/12/15 02:46 PM
O
OPTIMUS PRIME Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Originally Posted By: olenarey87
Rick, looks like I have my bait buddy for the winter!!! Lol

cheers

Re: What if there isn't enough wind to drift? [Re: big10] #11037197 08/12/15 02:46 PM
O
OPTIMUS PRIME Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Originally Posted By: big10
Great thread guys! Well written info rick!!!

cheers

Re: What if there isn't enough wind to drift? [Re: Blues] #11037202 08/12/15 02:48 PM
O
OPTIMUS PRIME Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
O
Originally Posted By: Blues
Great info Rick!

So the conversation last night...

Me, " I have to get a new TM before winter..."
Wife, " you already have one?"
Me, " yea but it's old and don't work real good anymore.."
Her, " WTH will it cost!?"
Me, " the one I like?, about $1000."
Her, " seriously?"
Me, " sounds bad but I'll have it for a long time, helps when drifting, finding bait, pulling anchors," blah, blah
Her, " you do all that when we fish and all without using the trolling motor..."
Me, " you don't understand"
Her, " I guess I don't." Then she walked off....

So looks like I'm good, she didn't say no!!!.. woot

cheers

Re: What if there isn't enough wind to drift? [Re: Blues] #11037279 08/12/15 03:23 PM
T
tiny Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: tiny
I never drift fish and I do pretty good

You always anchor, all year?

yep, I always locate fish and then fish... i've alwAys thought that drifting was kind of a dumb way to fish after I'd figured out how to locate and catch fish due to the environment and weather conditions giving me a place to start looking. I just wrote and deleted a big ole long book almost and deleted it all thinking ... what are you doing Tiny???? I guess it's too early in the morning for me hahaha. but anyhow,,, drift fishing won't work here as our fish population here isn't but maybe .10 of what ya'll got down there. Possibly even less than that so you gotta know where the fish are. Can't just take off drifting and hope you'll run into some up here because you won't run into anything.

Re: What if there isn't enough wind to drift? [Re: tiny] #11037297 08/12/15 03:31 PM
B
Blues Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I never drift fish and I do pretty good

You always anchor, all year?

yep, I always locate fish and then fish... i've alwAys thought that drifting was kind of a dumb way to fish after I'd figured out how to locate and catch fish due to the environment and weather conditions giving me a place to start looking. I just wrote and deleted a big ole long book almost and deleted it all thinking ... what are you doing Tiny???? I guess it's too early in the morning for me hahaha. but anyhow,,, drift fishing won't work here as our fish population here isn't but maybe .10 of what ya'll got down there. Possibly even less than that so you gotta know where the fish are. Can't just take off drifting and hope you'll run into some up here because you won't run into anything.

I read your "drag and drop" post. Was really surprised how shallow you stay. I know there are always some fish shallow all year long even in winter but we usually don't see big numbers shallow after 85 or so water. Usually finding fish stacked on structure, down in channels and holes, above the thermocline , say 14-24ft range. Do you mark any up there in that range?

Good info guys thanks

Re: What if there isn't enough wind to drift? [Re: Got the Fever] #11037303 08/12/15 03:36 PM
Txmedic033 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I do pretty much exactly what Rick does for bait, but I do it standing on leg because my trolling my motor foot pedal isn't recessed. Anyone that isn't using a trolling motor and a front graph to catch deep bait is not catching up to their full potential. I troll slowly and when I see what I want to catch I just turn the trolling motor hard to the right and throw right where I saw the bait.

Re: What if there isn't enough wind to drift? [Re: Got the Fever] #11037328 08/12/15 03:50 PM
T
tiny Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
only fish I see deep are scaley fish for the most part when the water is hot. Are you catching lots of fish in deep water in the summer or just seeing fish? This is what we caught in less than 2 ft depth and in under 2 hours of fishing on the 8th... if you're not finding fish in the shallows in hot weather then you're not looking because 90% of your catfish are going to be near the surface this time of year. Even out in deep water they'll be near the surface if they're actively feeding. Only exception to this is when you have current and I don't think there's a lot of current in those central texas lakes. This is what we caught on the 8th http://www.catfishin.net/aug/aug-08-15.html

Now if your fish down there are deep then that defies everything I've ever learned by fishing here in OK in the summer months but I don't think it could be right because it seems like if it's hotter there than it is up here and our fish have to be shallow then I don't see how your fish could be the opposite so again I just wonder if you're catching lots of blues deep or are you just seeing fish on your fish finder deep?

Re: What if there isn't enough wind to drift? [Re: Got the Fever] #11037360 08/12/15 04:08 PM
B
Blues Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
We only stop if we are marking lots of fish and believe they are catfish. Yes we catch them from 14 to 20ft, as long as we're above the thermocline. We are going Saturday and I'll report back. I'm not saying we never catch any shallow when it's hot but 90% of the shallow water fishing I do is in the spring, in water temps around 65.

Re: What if there isn't enough wind to drift? [Re: Got the Fever] #11037479 08/12/15 04:51 PM
T
tiny Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
how do you decide whether it's catfish you're seeing of if it's scaley fish ... like if you're looking at lumber below the surface how do you know they're catfish and not scaley fish? What kind of numbers are you talking about that you catch in the deep water now... we talkin dinks or big fish or what? If you're stopping where you see lots of fish ... like hundreds on a submerged tree and you catch 3 three lb'rs is that sufficient numbers or we talkin bout catching 20 fish about 10 lbs average. Just wondering about your terms of success when you're fishing deep and what do you expect is a good haul because if it's not a regular catch of 20 to 30 lb fish and you're fishing a lake like tawakoni then you're doing it wrong or even backwards because the old wives tale that fish are deep in the summer because it's cooler is totally backwards to what actually takes place up here in OK because fish are going to seek out the most oxygenated water this time of year as I think and have seen that fish can't metabolize their food if the oxygen levels aren't fairly high. Seen that on discovery channel. This also holds true when I find active fish in the summer months because that's my main concern is to find an oxygen source whether it's a running creek or windy shallows or whatever and there aren't' too many other whatever type situations that there can be. For instance if you were to take and build a man made oxygenation source in a lake right now there would be hundreds of fish to take advantage of the higher oxygen levels from bait fish to big fish ... they'd all come a runnin. also if you haven't done so yet then you should drop fish down with a fishing pole ... both scaley and skinned fish with a weight on the end of the line .. a heavy weight and see what your fish finder looks like when you're looking at the fish on your line ... easy enough to do also ... just get you a weight of a lb or more that'll attach to your line then tie the fish above it and drop it down so your transducer can pick it up ... you'll see it as a long line because if it stays under the transducer andyou don't pass over it it won't' look like an arch but pay attention to the difference between catfish and scaley and there should be a difference unless you're using a color humminbird ... color lowrance will be a lot different in the two and that'll help you out a lot if you can tell the difference between them

Re: What if there isn't enough wind to drift? [Re: tiny] #11037522 08/12/15 05:15 PM
B
BankAngler50 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
My 2 cents is you're fishing lake with flowing tributaries, flowing water has more dissolved oxigent and the mouth lake tributary is shallow but would be more oxigenated than your main lake. Also flowing water doesn't get heated up as quickly as still water. Most Texas lakes don't have flowing tributaries and surface can be very hot.

When I bank fishing here I either put my catches in a water bucket or in a stringer then toss them in water,... not in summer, fish will die in matters of minutes, because hot water hold little dissolved oxygen. If I put catfish in bucket full of water they would crowd the bottom... I put my catches in ice cooler right away in the summer.

how do you decide whether it's catfish you're seeing of if it's scaley fish ... like if you're looking at lumber below the surface how do you know they're catfish and not scaley fish? What kind of numbers are you talking about that you catch in the deep water now... we talkin dinks or big fish or what? If you're stopping where you see lots of fish ... like hundreds on a submerged tree and you catch 3 three lb'rs is that sufficient numbers or we talkin bout catching 20 fish about 10 lbs average. Just wondering about your terms of success when you're fishing deep and what do you expect is a good haul because if it's not a regular catch of 20 to 30 lb fish and you're fishing a lake like tawakoni then you're doing it wrong or even backwards because the old wives tale that fish are deep in the summer because it's cooler is totally backwards to what actually takes place up here in OK because fish are going to seek out the most oxygenated water this time of year as I think and have seen that fish can't metabolize their food if the oxygen levels aren't fairly high. Seen that on discovery channel. This also holds true when I find active fish in the summer months because that's my main concern is to find an oxygen source whether it's a running creek or windy shallows or whatever and there aren't' too many other whatever type situations that there can be. For instance if you were to take and build a man made oxygenation source in a lake right now there would be hundreds of fish to take advantage of the higher oxygen levels from bait fish to big fish ... they'd all come a runnin. also if you haven't done so yet then you should drop fish down with a fishing pole ... both scaley and skinned fish with a weight on the end of the line .. a heavy weight and see what your fish finder looks like when you're looking at the fish on your line ... easy enough to do also ... just get you a weight of a lb or more that'll attach to your line then tie the fish above it and drop it down so your transducer can pick it up ... you'll see it as a long line because if it stays under the transducer andyou don't pass over it it won't' look like an arch but pay attention to the difference between catfish and scaley and there should be a difference unless you're using a color humminbird ... color lowrance will be a lot different in the two and that'll help you out a lot if you can tell the difference between them

Why do I go fishing? To catch a box of fish and/or some quality time under the sun. Thank Heaven I never fail fishing in Texas, catching box fish or plenty of sunburn.
Re: What if there isn't enough wind to drift? [Re: Got the Fever] #11037657 08/12/15 06:27 PM
S
spazm09 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
I haven't had any trouble keeping fish alive on a stringer in the lake. but I will say that I fish at night so its not as hot.

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide