Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Product review - The NEW TFO Clouser 7wt #11032137 08/10/15 01:20 PM
Jerry Hamon Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
After last Saturday's tournament on The Brazos I decided to write a little review of the NEW TFO Clouser Series 7wt rod. Hope you enjoy it.

http://fishinforhim.blogspot.com/2015/08/this-pastweekend-i-participated-in.html

Owner/Guide at River Crossing Guide Service

(214) 457-3407
revtcf@gmail.com
Re: Product review - The NEW TFO Clouser 7wt [Re: Jerry Hamon] #11033560 08/10/15 10:25 PM
W
winchester44 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
Nice review! That really is pretty!

Wish I had made that trip! Was there in the late winter and all 3 of us got skunked!

Mind telling us what line you matched it with?

I recently picked up a Reddington Path 7wt for some more backbone turning big carp. For line I chose Orvis Hydros WF7
and it presents small nymphs beautifully as needed for carp. There are certainly better rods out there, but I pretty happy for the money.

I have been thinking about another reel and line for larger bass flies. As it's set up it really struggles delivering heavy(dumbell) clousers and big bass bugs. My guess is that it's mostly operator error, but still, would love to hear what you chose.

PS thanks for keeping the streets safe. Tough day and age to be in law enforcement, hats off to you.

Re: Product review - The NEW TFO Clouser 7wt [Re: winchester44] #11034540 08/11/15 12:23 PM
Jerry Hamon Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
I'm using the new TFO line that is made for them by Cortland.

Owner/Guide at River Crossing Guide Service

(214) 457-3407
revtcf@gmail.com
Re: Product review - The NEW TFO Clouser 7wt [Re: Jerry Hamon] #11035896 08/11/15 09:45 PM
W
winchester44 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
I wonder how many real line companies are out there now? Are there any others to consider beyone Rio, SA and Cortland?
I have been told most of the rest is private label like Orvis lines are really made by SA.

Re: Product review - The NEW TFO Clouser 7wt [Re: winchester44] #11036028 08/11/15 10:42 PM
R
RexW Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Originally Posted By: winchester44
I wonder how many real line companies are out there now? Are there any others to consider beyone Rio, SA and Cortland?
I have been told most of the rest is private label like Orvis lines are really made by SA.

I used to know this answer, but I'm drawing a blank as I started typing. There are about half dozen major fly line manufacturers, including SA, Rio, Cortland, Barrio (European), Monic (I can't remember if that is parent company name or not), and there are one or two others.

Many of them will produce private label custom lines for other suppliers. Recently, I was talking to someone that is marketing their own brand of lines that are manufactured by one of the major companies. They indicated that they would quickly produce any taper design that was requested, but they did consider some of their newest line costings to be propriety and would not allow them to be used under other brand labels. So, just because different brands are made in the same factory, that does not mean the lines will be identical.

Orvis bought SA from 3M a couple of years ago. So, it is a safe bet that the newer Orvis lines are made by SA, but that doesn't mean that the lines are identical. They can still produce custom tapers and even coatings under either brand name. My understanding is that Sage and Rio are owned by the same company along with several different reel brands. I think Cortland is still independent, but that may have changed. Cortland by the way is one of the largest manufactures of the braided cores that are used in fly lines.

If you really want to learn more about the history of fly lines there is a book called "America's Fly Lines" or something like that. It was written before all of the mergers mentioned above, but it contains some interesting information on the different manufacturers. If you really want to learn about fly lines try to get a hold of an out of print book by Bruce Richards called "Modern Fly Lines" it was part of "Lefty's Little Lessons" series of books.

As for the TFO line that Jerry mentioned. I've been using one on my 5 wt and I like it. I've been using it for trout fishing and it handles nymphing style rigs well, but it also handles a longer distance cast. I've been happy with it. The retail price for these lines is about $40.

Well, that ramble was probably more than you wanted to know, but if not I'll be discussing fly lines in more detail at the North Louisiana Fly Fishers meeting on October 13...

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide