New potential yakker! #11025033 08/06/15 07:44 PM
J
JGreen5278 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
Hello All!

I have been making preparations and research for my first kayak I have searched the forums and looked at reviews and have whittled it down to the Old Town Vapor 10. I was wondering has anyone had any experience with this kayak? Any and all input is welcome. Thanks!

Re: New potential yakker! [Re: JGreen5278] #11025150 08/06/15 08:21 PM
R
Rhino68W Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
I don't have experience with it. But I can tell you that you need to comb through all of the old topics. The answer to any question you might have is probably out there somewhere. Good luck and welcome to the addiction!

Re: New potential yakker! [Re: JGreen5278] #11026788 08/07/15 03:14 PM
C
christian myrick Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
C
Kayak fishing is the best sport ever. Dont settle for any kayak you can afford, do research, save money and demo. You cant know what yak is best for your situation until you try them.

Re: New potential yakker! [Re: JGreen5278] #11026939 08/07/15 04:15 PM
J
J-Moe Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted By: JGreen5278
Hello All!

I have been making preparations and research for my first kayak I have searched the forums and looked at reviews and have whittled it down to the Old Town Vapor 10. I was wondering has anyone had any experience with this kayak? Any and all input is welcome. Thanks!

I am no expert but I did a great deal of research last year. I ended up buying a Moken 10ft. kayak on craiglist.

What you need to consider:

Sit on top vs. Sit inside. Most fisherman prefer the sit on top models for their freedom of movement

Length: Most of the feedback I received was to get at least a 12' kayak for the space. I bought a 10 ft and it works fine for me.

Speed: Are you going to be using it in creeks and ponds or going on long trips. Shorter, wider kayaks are built more for stability. Longer, narrower kayaks are usually much faster. My Moken 10 is like a barge, but extremely stable. My friend has a 12 ft. Old town otter and he can paddle circles around me.

Weight: Will you have to lift it and strap it on a car roof, would be one question to ask

Upgrades: Can you upgrade the seat would be one question, Some kayaks can be very uncomfortable and cause back pain

Demo - this is one bit of advice that all TFFers will offer. Try to demo a few before buying

The reviews I have seen on the Old Town Vapor have been good. Old Town is a quality manufacturer.

Re: New potential yakker! [Re: JGreen5278] #11027023 08/07/15 04:56 PM
W
Wink68 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
Just my two cents... My first yak was a Vapor. I am 6'2" and 260. Had no trouble fishing out of it. It is light and easy to transport. It became more and more difficult to exit the yak (getting a little less nimble in my older age) so I went with a Perception SOT and love it too. Gave the Vapor to my 6'4" son. You will do just fine with the Vapor. Good luck and get it slimy.

Re: New potential yakker! [Re: JGreen5278] #11027159 08/07/15 05:55 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
One other consideration, this only after extensive research . . . and there is plenty of that, is to stay with one of the major brands where you know the kayak manufacturer isn't going to disappear overnight; too, so that there are ample accessories available for it.

But, these tend to be more expensive kayaks if purchased new, you get what you pay for so to speak, so take a look at some of the really fine used boats where serious kayakers are salivating over the new model with the latest bells and whistles . . . but must sell their current one first.

Better have your money ready to go as the really good deals are fleeting. But, they are common, too. I have seen some really nice kayaks with really great reputations sold at really low prices. Facebook has some kayak groups and I have seen them for sale there; Texas Kayak Fishing Forum would be another. There are likely a dozen such places to keep an eye out for boats.

Not sure, but some dealer might even be kind enough to put you on someone who has a "trade in."

If, just for example, you could find a couple of years old Hobie Outback, that might be a good example, and it is in good shape at a good price, then you can learn in that vessel, decide whether you are going to pursue kayak fishing permanently, then step up as need be. If you sell that kayak, it'll bring more. Some of the big names selling excellent products will have better re-sale values. You may pay more for them but they will likely retain more value.

Brad

Re: New potential yakker! [Re: JGreen5278] #11028639 08/08/15 02:17 PM
P
pelageo Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
Know a guy who has a Vapor 10. He is not as big as Wink68 but tends to pack all but the kitchen sink when he goes out. Watched him get sideways on a gravel bar one trip and there was no saving it. While it was somewhat entertaining for the rest of us, he didn't share our amusement when he hit the cold November water. You will have fun no matter what you get but I would make sure the weight capacity is adequate for your needs.

Re: New potential yakker! [Re: JGreen5278] #11028841 08/08/15 04:23 PM
M
mikepaddle Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
The Vapor may or may not be a good fit for you. Nothing is mentioned about your size, weight, your budget, or how and where you plan to use your kayak. It would be best for you to explore all of your options before pulling the plug. Taking your time and doing thorough research will actually save you money in the long run and will enhance your paddling experience. Way too many people make a hasty purchase based on pretty photos, online recommendations that they read, etc., and quickly wish that they had done more research and had taken advantage of on the water demos to see for themselves.

I would recommend that you visit a full service paddlesports store such as Mariner Sails. They stock over fifteen different brands of kayaks to choose from and can give you experienced, no pressure recommendations and you can even schedule for a no obligation demo. Their vast range of inventory is one of the largest in the USA and allows you to get the best physical fit for your personal use while still working within any realistic budget.

I do know that Mariner Sails and the Mariner Sails Kayak Fishing Club are holding a no charge demo day and several kayak fishing seminars on Saturday the 29th, 9:00 AM, at the White Rock Boat Club on White Rock Lake. Watch their website www.mariner-sails.com or the MSKFC Facebook page for details.

Re: New potential yakker! [Re: JGreen5278] #11029967 08/09/15 03:48 AM
J
JGreen5278 Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
J
Thanks for your input guys! Will definitely take my time and explore my options before I make a commitment. Going to try to make a trip out to Mariner Sails here soon.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide