Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Academy rods for frog and jig fishing? #11022495 08/05/15 08:00 PM
Ltcm09 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Any cheap rods in the 7ft range med to med heavy?

Anything over 150$ for a rod is a scam

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Academy rods for frog and jig fishing? [Re: Ltcm09] #11022516 08/05/15 08:07 PM
F
Frank the Tank Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
The Ethos rods are good, fairly sensitive, but run slightly softer than they say. Get a Heavy action.

Jesus loves all of us
Re: Academy rods for frog and jig fishing? [Re: Ltcm09] #11022609 08/05/15 08:33 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
Agree, for frogs and flipping a jig into heavy cover, I'd get a heavy action.
For fishing a jig deep, medium heavy

Rods at Academy Online worth looking at under $130
The Abu Garcia Villain Rods in Medium Heavy are on clearance for $129.98
The Falcon Bucoo Medium Heavy are $99.98
The Lews American Hero MH and Heavy fast action rods are $69.99

You could get one each of the Lew's American Hero rods. One in MH and one in H

[Linked Image]
Re: Academy rods for frog and jig fishing? [Re: Ltcm09] #11022772 08/05/15 09:38 PM
R
Rhino68W Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
I use frogs on the Camo H2O Xress 7' MH combo. Has worked well for me so far. Just a cheaper rod/reel that is still decent quality. Haven't used it for jigs though.

Re: Academy rods for frog and jig fishing? [Re: Ltcm09] #11022819 08/05/15 10:05 PM
M
Mulholland Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Abu Garcia Vendetta, Vertias, Villain, all available in your price range, all available in tons of lengths, actions, and powers, depending on what you want to use it for, and I can vouch for the vendetta and veritas being amazing rods for the price, I'm sure the villains are just more of the same good stuff.

I wouldn't call a high end rod a scam, I would say the value/returns greatly diminish going from $100 to $500 vs. going form $20 to $100... a $100 is 5x better than a $20 rod probably, a $500 rod... not so much. But a professional angler cashing checks needs the very best of everything and any small margin of performance boost is significant if cashing checks I suppose... and some people like bragging about having the end-all-be-all of everything, so more power to them if they want it and have the money to invest in companies we all get to enjoy.

I have handled the h2o rods both reg and micro guide and found them to be heavy and numb feeling compared to my not much more expensive fleet of Abu rods. You'd be amazed the bites you miss without ever knowing it vs. once you have a sensitive enough rod. I bet I still miss plenty of bites but trust my mid-grade tackle and modest skills help me get most of them at least.

Go pick up an Abu Garcia Vendetta rod and give it a go though, it's as sensitive and light and capable as anything else I own and is the cheapest. Truth be told if I didn't flat out like the look of the Veritas finish better, most of the other differences are fairly negligible to pony up the premium over the Vendettas even. With quality line and tungsten, having an amazing rod becomes less about sensitivity and more about weight and ability to make however many casts the day requires honestly. That's #1 reason very high end rods and reels are so lightweight above and beyond all else.

Re: Academy rods for frog and jig fishing? [Re: Ltcm09] #11023429 08/06/15 02:00 AM
I
I AM LEGEND! Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I
7'0" Heavy action Irod Fiber...around $99 on Tackle Warehouse & mine has caught well over 100 bass, all using braid, in the last 3 months...all on a frog! I have 6 Irods without one problem but they do have a great return policy... even though I haven't had to use it yet.

Re: Academy rods for frog and jig fishing? [Re: Ltcm09] #11024124 08/06/15 02:13 PM
C
Chris_K Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
What is everyone's opinion of the Duckett ghost at $99. I opened this expecting to see them mentioned. Now I'm concerned because I just bought 4.

Re: Academy rods for frog and jig fishing? [Re: Ltcm09] #11024142 08/06/15 02:18 PM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
I don't own one, but lots of people say the Duckett ghost is the best rod under $100.

[Linked Image]
Re: Academy rods for frog and jig fishing? [Re: Ltcm09] #11024238 08/06/15 02:51 PM
T
TX0303 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
MH Abu Veritas 2.0. They were on sale about a month ago, not sure if they still are. Regular price is $99.

Re: Academy rods for frog and jig fishing? [Re: Ltcm09] #11024256 08/06/15 02:56 PM
L
LinkLowrance Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
I have the Duckett Micro Magic in a 7'6 that I use for jig fishing and it's great, I have no experience with the Ghost though.

I also have the Lew's American Hero in a 7'0 MH and it's awesome too. I've put a TON of stress on the American Hero the last 2 trips out and it's holding up with no problems, I think I got it for around 70 bucks at Academy.

Strangely, the only rods I have ever broken are Falcon rods.

Re: Academy rods for frog and jig fishing? [Re: Mulholland] #11025230 08/06/15 08:50 PM
J
joebass2 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
J
Originally Posted By: Mulholland
Abu Garcia Vendetta, Vertias, Villain, all available in your price range, all available in tons of lengths, actions, and powers, depending on what you want to use it for, and I can vouch for the vendetta and veritas being amazing rods for the price, I'm sure the villains are just more of the same good stuff.

I wouldn't call a high end rod a scam, I would say the value/returns greatly diminish going from $100 to $500 vs. going form $20 to $100... a $100 is 5x better than a $20 rod probably, a $500 rod... not so much. But a professional angler cashing checks needs the very best of everything and any small margin of performance boost is significant if cashing checks I suppose... and some people like bragging about having the end-all-be-all of everything, so more power to them if they want it and have the money to invest in companies we all get to enjoy.

I have handled the h2o rods both reg and micro guide and found them to be heavy and numb feeling compared to my not much more expensive fleet of Abu rods. You'd be amazed the bites you miss without ever knowing it vs. once you have a sensitive enough rod. I bet I still miss plenty of bites but trust my mid-grade tackle and modest skills help me get most of them at least.

Go pick up an Abu Garcia Vendetta rod and give it a go though, it's as sensitive and light and capable as anything else I own and is the cheapest. Truth be told if I didn't flat out like the look of the Veritas finish better, most of the other differences are fairly negligible to pony up the premium over the Vendettas even. With quality line and tungsten, having an amazing rod becomes less about sensitivity and more about weight and ability to make however many casts the day requires honestly. That's #1 reason very high end rods and reels are so lightweight above and beyond all else.

But they are pros, right???????

Re: Academy rods for frog and jig fishing? [Re: joebass2] #11025236 08/06/15 08:53 PM
M
Mulholland Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
hmmm

Re: Academy rods for frog and jig fishing? [Re: joebass2] #11026089 08/07/15 02:56 AM
90 5.0 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: joebass2

Actually a lot of pro's fish with rods that a large majority of forums think aren't good enough for them lol

Re: Academy rods for frog and jig fishing? [Re: 90 5.0] #11026664 08/07/15 02:17 PM
M
Mulholland Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: 90 5.0
Originally Posted By: joebass2

Actually a lot of pro's fish with rods that a large majority of forums think aren't good enough for them lol

I am aware, I just meant the cost is more justifiable if you think it gives you some tiny edge. There are just as many anglers who use $500+ chatterbait rods for example, like Brett Hite. A bait most people would not have any sort of high end rod dedicated to, and he swears by his custom composite glass rod for them, made by Evergreen iirc.

When you have sponsors, durability and cost become less of factors though. Hell everything does. Would you fish with a rod you were less confident with for free rods? Let alone getting paid to use and represent them? I bet a lot of us would find those same rods a lot more appealing with a little incentive.

Rods come down to only a few basic elements with cost to own/replace removed. Sensitivity, which will be "good enough" beyond a certain point, with some standouts. Fatigue, which will be based on weight and balance of a given rod/reel/bait combo, not simply the rod but the entire system. And lastly Function, how perfectly suited for a specific technique the rod is. You can find all of those attributes in varying levels from any manufacturer, at most any price point from $100 to $1000, it is just to which degree you feel you need your equipment to compliment your personal skills and abilities.

I don't cover water and cast like KVD, so I'm a lot less likely to notice my rod/reel weighing 2-3x more than his, because I likely make well under 1/3rd of the casts he does for similar time on the water. But if I found myself getting to a level where my body couldn't keep up with my need to cast, I'd be forced to consider lighter gear for fatigue reasons, for example.

The Pro's fish with whatever they get paid to fish with at the end of the day I reckon, and often work along with manufacturers from that point to get what they want from the rods, like the new Abu Garcia Ike delay rods. Often times the rods they have may not even look like anything special but are completely custom/prototype rods like Brent Ehler's kit he used winning Toyota's Texas Bass Classic this year. Can you put a price on top secret prototype rods? lol

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide