Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Good deal? #11020017 08/04/15 09:29 PM
D
drilla4rilla Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
I'm looking into buying a used boat and came across this one on Craigslist. The guy says everything runs just fine but you never know. This would be my first boat purchase so I'm not seasoned at all on boats and want to avoid getting ripped off. Looking for some insight from some experienced boaters on what to look for, questions to ask, or if this brand calls for me to start looking elsewhere. Reviews on this brand of boat ranged from "stay away" to "never had a problem". Any help would be great appreciated. Thanks.
Boat I'm interested in

Re: Good deal? [Re: drilla4rilla] #11020085 08/04/15 09:51 PM
T
txmasterpo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
T
Pat will be along in a bit to tell you it's a piece of [censored]......honestly, it's in a class of boats like old Nitros.....sometimes they turned out good, sometimes they were [censored]...... I'd say if it checks out compression wise and transom is solid 3000 would be OK.....just my lifetime boater guess.....

http://www.trccovers.com

"I am large, I contain multitudes."

Walt Whitman
Re: Good deal? [Re: drilla4rilla] #11020172 08/04/15 10:26 PM
P
Pat Goff Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
P
Travis put cajun out of business, same way they put other boat companies out. Forced them to build cheaper and cheaper until they could make their big margins and compete against tracker for the bottom part of the market. Then when (surprise) stuff broke and buried them with warranty claims.

No corner is left un-cut, nothing on that boat that isn't the cheapest way possible. Un coated plywood, bare stringers, be very aware of what you're looking at.

Pat Goff
Seadrift TX
[Linked Image]
Re: Good deal? [Re: drilla4rilla] #11020232 08/04/15 10:55 PM
kingdad101 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
its too high, besides what Pat says..also when buying a boat..make sure the sellers has, in hand ,a title in HIS name, not someone who lives in New York or..ect....

Re: Good deal? [Re: drilla4rilla] #11020813 08/05/15 02:37 AM
Curtbass Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Listen to Pat.... Nuff said. PM me if you want or call me at 3two5-nine98-six077. I'm in Granbury. I've seen a lot of first time buyers get burned & nobody deserves that. I'm retired & have time to help you look at boats around the DFW AREA & elsewhere. I'm no pro by any means but I have been Bass/tournament fishing since the mid 80's & seen a LOT of boats. Pat is by far what we consider a guru on boats, motors,etc. welcome to the Forum.

ELITE POWER SYSTEMS/ Elite Fishing Products
Lithium Battery & Charging Systems, Soft Plastics, Tackle,Tokyo Rigs
Tight lines & stay safe out there.Gods blessings
Re: Good deal? [Re: drilla4rilla] #11020931 08/05/15 03:21 AM
T
txmasterpo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
T
See! I told you sarcastic

Walt Whitman
Re: Good deal? [Re: drilla4rilla] #11021041 08/05/15 04:22 AM
C
Chemdawg Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
I am on my second travis edition boat i sold my 18ft and got a 21ft CC I really liked my old one before changed out the prop once i changed it it would over rev if i was not paying attion so i put my old one back I dont know what is suppose to be so cheap and what corners were cut they are sturdy boats that would take pounding and keep on going. and i dont baby my boats I have no problems going it to the stumps and trees hitting emerged trees and they held up just fine. Mine was and is a pro master but every one who gets in it likes it. I even use it for catfish guiding. But the old guy up the rode from me use to work for travis as sells for many years he told me the the travis edition boat wear ones that travis would put some cheap add ons to the boat to make it a travis edition. He told me there is nothing wrong with the boats the big issue with travis was they would not fix anything they would give you the run around till you gave up even if it was under warnty he said gourmet regulations that were required hurt a lot of the boat manufactures rather then travis then selves I think i will take the word of someone who admits he sold boat for them for many years before he retired 4month later travis shut there doors. Like what was said before if the transoms is good and the compression checks out it shifts fine and the vro system is good or better disconnected i woould offer them about 3800-3900 max 4500 i think is a bit muchits 25yrs old, but thats your call on if you like it. take it for a ride not a 5 mins one either spend 45min-1hr run it wide open slow see how shallow it will go. move it through forward and reverse go to the auto parts store and rent a compression check gage auto zone and Oryles. has them you can use, that is what i do let it warm up first. also pull the prop check the seals let a little oil out of the lower unit it despot have to me much just enough to see if there is water in it. check the treason bolt make sure they are tight. you dont know how may boats i went to look at and the were loose when tighten water would run out. but it look like it was taken care of its and old boat but those older Johnson motor will run for ever. and they are cheaper to work on your self the boat i have not has a 2003 Mercry 150 and i dont like much every one i have talk to who has a cajan or pro master like them a lot. if you want to get an option on a boat fined someone who has one and ask them I had a skeeter and i would have taken my pro craft over it any day of the week. it rode better and a better whole shot handled rough water better and would go shallower then my skeeter dont get me wrong my skeet was a nice boat but it defiantly was not all that. look bast the name on the side and make your decision of the performance and your opinion after all your the one who is going to own it and fish out of it

I emailed the guy up the road roger miller is his name he worked for travis for a long time and was a sell manager for 7yrs before retireing I ask about the Cajun Boats i was spurred he got back to me so fast he said travis did not run them in to the ground the were bought out Genmar corp the same company that bought just about ever boat company to include ranger crestline lund and sever others the shut the doors on a lot of boat companys after they were acquired as there were 3 other boat that were almost the same thing as the cajun in looks on being the pro master by fiber sport. After they shut down the division Ranger took over the warranty work wich i have owned 2now and love them and were discontinued in 2002 i had a 1996 and this one is a 2001 CC the big cost cutting that travis did was put the spl on the boats wich were a lot cheaper motor but they were a good motor simple easy to work on and parts are cheap. I would give just about anything to get rid of my mercy and put a johnson back that came from a guy who worked for them for many years. I think he is in a good person for information there is a lot of rumors but its all hear say try to look up what happened to the compay you wont fined anything other then peoples option and guess on what happened. to them i have looked for hours and cant fiend anything other then gossip

Last edited by Chemdawg; 08/05/15 04:51 AM.
Re: Good deal? [Re: drilla4rilla] #11021062 08/05/15 04:52 AM
P
Pat Goff Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
P
Let's be clear.
There were some decent Travis hulls. The polar boats were good and the Kenners were good after tracker bought Travis. The Cajuns and sprints are the ones that cause the most problems. Why neither are in business any more.

Pat Goff
Seadrift TX
[Linked Image]
Re: Good deal? [Re: drilla4rilla] #11021829 08/05/15 04:16 PM
C
Chemdawg Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
they are no longer in business because track had 6 heals that were so close that they did not see a need for them seval of the boat were made in the same shop they closed the doors on a lot of companies after they were bought out the were still making pro masters in the begging of 2002 being made by tracker like the one I have now what issues are you talking about because when i search them for issues nothing really comes up other then people saying the love there cajun boats. i have personly owned them i can tell you they are good boats motors or subject to personl opion i would get ride of my mercury or a johnson any time But every thing comes down to what the person likes if i took the stickers off my boat and told every one it was something els they would fall in love with it. I took a guy out 2 weeks ago who was talking about boats and aptly nocked protesters and cajuns after crushing across the lake he said that it was a great riding boat and water to know what brand it was when i told him pro master he didn't say anything he stuck is head over the side to see if i was telling the truth. there are haul issues with every boat some have then others dont a good friend of mine and a 48,000 ranger and after the first year it has major stress crack aboard the both concels but to say that travis ruined cajun is fauls that is just hear say the big thing travis did was put the spl on the back of it do to it being cheaper. by 1-2 grand and the spl are known for being one of the most dependable motors that were made. when the spl was discontinued the started to add the Force and it was Cheap as well a lot of the later models had them. I know mine was made by tracker do to the Mercry saltwater that is on the back the other thing travis did was add carpet to the side walls of the boat in the mid 90s on there CC fiber sport huals are a decent boat there not top of the line big name but they are better the Poland wich is know for haul issues and transom problems i can take my 21 foot boat and it will float in about 8in of water and run with the jack plate up on 12in I just think knocking every boat comapany is silly if you never owned one. you truly cant be a judge. while i was looking for a larger boat when i sold my 18ft I looked at several Blue waves that were 2002-2004 2 of them and the entire floor separate from the wood it was like waking on linoleum floor that came us stuck oaths had soft spots in the floors and they are suppose to be pretty good boats then my friend has a 2000 and it is in extent condition every thing looks new. if a boat is 10yr old or older and it is still in good condition floor haul transom then the person should not worry much as if it was going to fall apart it would have done it by now they only thing they really need to look at is the notor and how it shifts in to and out of gear. and if they like the ride when i boat shop i dont look at the name on the side because that is all it is is a name. I had a skeet it was really nice but for the price they sell for you can get just as good of boat for half the price it just wont say skeet I took the advice of people and the prop shop on here when my boat was having trouble plaining with a large load i was told to and bought a prop that the shop recommended it helped a little but not enough to justify the price of the prop i had to pay close attinon to the tack at all time to make sure it was not over raving I bought a larger whail tail and took the new prop off and put the old one on and it would pop right up and run at 35mph wich in not back considering how heavy the boat was with 5 guys and only being a 115 hp to the poster advise on boat motors or more of someone personal option of the product or all comes down to the consumer YOU weather or not you like it and how much you are willing to pay for something if you really like that boat check it out close and then take it to a shop have them check it out and ask them to see how much it might sell for it might cost you a little bit but it will be worth it or you can get the compression gauge from the auto store the lone them check out the compression and inspect the plugs take your tools check the transom bolts make sure the are tight if they are loose tighten them up as tight as you can get it and check in and out of the make sure there is now water dripping or running down the sides. check the trailer hubs and see when the list time it is has been since he changed it the most commen answer you will get is (about 2yrs) then you know he has never dont it check the trailer for rot crawl under the boat and check out haul for deep scratches soft spots us a ratchet or something solid to put on spots also make sure every thing works if it doest check out make him show you what the issues is and what it will take to get it fixed remember most shops charge 100+ hr apples parts mark up its a nice boat and in the in the early 90s cajuns were very good boat for the time. i say take it for a run and see what he will take for it i would bet he will come down 5-600

Re: Good deal? [Re: drilla4rilla] #11023953 08/06/15 01:08 PM
kingdad101 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
OK ..everyone who read both those novels,raise your hand...I tried but fell asleep... grin

Re: Good deal? [Re: drilla4rilla] #11026433 08/07/15 12:46 PM
B
BODA Offline
Angler
Angler
B
its a $4500 boat that is 25 years old, go run it, if you like it, buy it.
If you find that you want to own it till you die, save up for glass work

Re: Good deal? [Re: drilla4rilla] #11028213 08/08/15 02:38 AM
T
txmasterpo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
T
Hell there's a pro gator on here for 4k!!!! It's twice as good

Walt Whitman
Re: Good deal? [Re: drilla4rilla] #11031475 08/10/15 12:21 AM
D
Droyhef Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
4500 is too much for a 25 year old boat. If the vro on it isn't disabled you would need to do so as on those motors if it goes out while under load your motor is done. That vro pump is $500 if it goes out and you elect to replace it. There is a reason vro systems are gone

http://www.texasmegafishadventures.com
Guided rod and reel fishing trips for Alligator gar on the Trinity River as well as some other places
903-721-4296
dawson@texasmegafishadventures.com
Re: Good deal? [Re: drilla4rilla] #11032623 08/10/15 04:25 PM
S
Samarai Offline
Angler
Angler
S
its a 25 year old boat if things are gonna break u should have visible signs of it now. That being said its kinda high for a 25 year old boat. 3000 and u might have my attention. Remember its a 25 year old boat.

Re: Good deal? [Re: drilla4rilla] #11033425 08/10/15 09:21 PM
hopalong Online Confused
Pescador Loco
Online Confused
Pescador Loco
I have an 82 champion 184 I will sell for no less than 9,000.00.

want the list of what comes with it and what I have done to it to make it worth that?

y'all crack me up, fiberglass does not rot like wood, a good hull is a good hull and a champion hull on a 184 is one of the best ever made.

and trust me I have way more than 9k in this boat, just thinkin I am ready to go a little bigger/faster.

" Hop, set the hook"!
hopalong 99,999
TexDawg 99,999
FJB! not my president by a long shot!

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA/reservations - 903 474 7479
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide