858438 Topics
11261393 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Topic Options
#11021481 - 08/05/15 09:01 AM Boat registration
TexasMo Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Forney, Tx, USA
I bought boat out of state.. Is there a dealer in the metromess that I Can pay to help me get it registered and pay the taxes?

Mo

#11021491 - 08/05/15 09:04 AM Re: Boat registration [Re: TexasMo]
fouzman Online   content
Methuselah

Loc: Houston, TX
I'd call Tommy Yetts at Rockwall Marine. 972-771-4442.

#11021640 - 08/05/15 09:55 AM Re: Boat registration [Re: TexasMo]
furim2 Offline
Angler

Loc: Pilot Point, TX
Go to the website below and print off the forms you need to register your boat. You'll need the MSOs or signed titles for the hull and engine, plus the purchase amount for each. Fill out the forms that pertain to your purchase, and take them to any TPWD office. You'll pay your sales tax there. Call first, because they may require cash. The trailer is registered in your county. You'll need a current Texas state inspection on the trailer. You need the capacity weight of the trailer, which should be on the MSO. You'll need the purchase price of the trailer and a check.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/boat/forms/

#11021665 - 08/05/15 10:05 AM Re: Boat registration [Re: TexasMo]
Allen Bass Fisher Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Allen, TX
I just did this late last year for a boat I purchased from Arkansas. furim2 is correct. You pay TPW the sales tax for the boat and motor. This can be one price for both. I would suggest going to the TPW office in Mt Pleasant vs. the one in Garland. Much nicer to work with and much shorter lines. I paid with a personal check.

You also need a purchase price for the trailer. You will pay the DMV sales tax for the trailer to get your trailer licensed.

#11021688 - 08/05/15 10:15 AM Re: Boat registration [Re: TexasMo]
Mulholland Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Plano, TX
The TPWD in Rockwall is the nicest government workers I've ever dealt with. Helpful sweet ladies that were a pleasure to deal with. No lines at all, no drama. Trailer is just done at your local dps like your car/truck registration, it's registration only. Be sure to deduct the value of the trailer from the boat/motor, as they will have you claim/state a value on the trailer and pay on that as well, don't want to get double taxed.

All in all, as long as you have the signed title for the boat hull and outboard, it's pretty easy to go and do. Trailer can be an issue if it has been refinished and you can't find a registration number for it you may have to add one, since they don't title them, it can be weird but mostly is all un-checkable and doesn't even matter, since they have no titles, anyone could make up almost anything to register a trailer itself sadly.

#11021696 - 08/05/15 10:17 AM Re: Boat registration [Re: Mulholland]
TdRoss Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Power Lines
Originally Posted By: Mulholland
The TPWD in Rockwall is the nicest government workers I've ever dealt with. Helpful sweet ladies that were a pleasure to deal with. No lines at all, no drama. Trailer is just done at your local dps like your car/truck registration, it's registration only. Be sure to deduct the value of the trailer from the boat/motor, as they will have you claim/state a value on the trailer and pay on that as well, don't want to get double taxed.

All in all, as long as you have the signed title for the boat hull and outboard, it's pretty easy to go and do. Trailer can be an issue if it has been refinished and you can't find a registration number for it you may have to add one, since they don't title them, it can be weird but mostly is all un-checkable and doesn't even matter, since they have no titles, anyone could make up almost anything to register a trailer itself sadly.

+1. Just spent some time over there and they were very helpful.

#11022128 - 08/05/15 01:05 PM Re: Boat registration [Re: Mulholland]
Jaguar6 Offline
Angler

Loc: Mesquite, TX
Originally Posted By: Mulholland

+2

Had my boat done here last year when purchased from owner instead of dealer. Great people to work with

#11022188 - 08/05/15 01:30 PM Re: Boat registration [Re: TexasMo]
Mark Perry Online   content

Loc: Point Reyes
Agree on the ladies at the Rockwall office. Was pleasantly surprised at how nice they were. Same with the Rockwall DPS office.

© 1998-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide