Print Thread
School me on bass.... #11019572 08/04/15 06:43 PM
W
WASTINGTIME Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
W
Wanting to get started bass fishing.. I have some stuff like rattle traps and what not I have some worms but Not sure what hook to use or how to rig anyone close to Irving wanna give out some pointers?

Kids who hunt and fish dont dont "steel or deal"
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: School me on bass.... [Re: WASTINGTIME] #11019703 08/04/15 07:23 PM
D
Double K Outdoors Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
That's like saying, what's the best way to catch a bass. The tons of ways and tons of factors that are involved.
Here's what I would do for starters:

All soft plastics, Texas rigged. ----> Texas Rig Video
Rattle traps in shad colors will work.
Crank baits like a 1XD will do well.
Pop-r Top waters

All of these can be purchased at any tackle store. The best advice I can give is "match the hatch". Whatever color of item the bass are eating, that the color you want to be using. I'm sure other will disagree, but I feel color is more important than presentation. You have the right color, you will increase the amount of fish you catch.

~You won't catch any fish if you don't try!
[Linked Image]

Re: School me on bass.... [Re: WASTINGTIME] #11019991 08/04/15 09:12 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
I live a ways from Irving; but I assure you that it will be worth the drive to come out and start form the beginning. I will give a good lesson on the old school ways and share with you all my custom bait building experiences that have worked for lots of years along with the techniques that you need to get started.

Plan to stay at least a half day. Lunch is on me. If you would like to do this you will need to bring everything you have to fish with: rods, reels, soft plastics and lures. Not just a package of each of them; all of them.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: School me on bass.... [Re: WASTINGTIME] #11020016 08/04/15 09:27 PM
A
Andrew Taylor Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
youtube wacky worm, it's the best place to start IMO

Re: School me on bass.... [Re: Donald Harper] #11020116 08/04/15 10:02 PM
W
WASTINGTIME Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
W
Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
I live a ways from Irving; but I assure you that it will be worth the drive to come out and start form the beginning. I will give a good lesson on the old school ways and share with you all my custom bait building experiences that have worked for lots of years along with the techniques that you need to get started.

Plan to stay at least a half day. Lunch is on me. If you would like to do this you will need to bring everything you have to fish with: rods, reels, soft plastics and lures.
Not just a package of each of them; all of them.

Sent a pm

Kids who hunt and fish dont dont "steel or deal"
Re: School me on bass.... [Re: WASTINGTIME] #11020147 08/04/15 10:14 PM
epicoutdoors Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Probably the best way to accelerate your learning curve without a lot of freinds that fish is to hire a good guide. Just explain your interest and set up the trip so the first part of the day will be spent learning about equipment, baits, rigging, ect and the basic scenerios that you would choose for each type of bait. The second half of the day could be spent learning about where to find fish and actually doing some fishing. Probably the best bang for your buck and good experience.

There are also lots of good, informative videos and books available to get you going.

Re: School me on bass.... [Re: WASTINGTIME] #11020189 08/04/15 10:36 PM
R
raveon Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
What everyone above me said. I would agree the simplest is probably the wacky rig. lots of great instructional videos on you tube.
The best way to learn in my opinion is get out there and do it.

It would probably be a good idea to start out in ponds that hold bass.

I have been bass fishing for only a few years now and have yet to catch one in a lake. But then again I have only been out to a lake a few times.

https:/www.youtube.com/c/FrankieDeanFishing
Re: School me on bass.... [Re: WASTINGTIME] #11020218 08/04/15 10:50 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: WASTINGTIME

Plan to stay at least a half day. Lunch is on me. If you would like to do this you will need to bring everything you have to fish with: rods, reels, soft plastics and lures.

Sent a pm

Got it. I look forward to helping you. Anyone is welcome at my house anytime and you will leave with a better knowledge of how to fish the way you have to fish; whether it be form the bank in a pond, creek, lake or form a boat. I will customize your best baits that you have so they will catch more fish and help you add the things you need at no cost to you. I have a shop full of baits and plastics that I will never use.

Thanks for asking,
Donald

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: School me on bass.... [Re: Donald Harper] #11020317 08/04/15 11:36 PM
W
wlgorman Offline
Angler
Angler
W

Plan to stay at least a half day. Lunch is on me. If you would like to do this you will need to bring everything you have to fish with: rods, reels, soft plastics and lures. Not just a package of each of them; all of them.

Heck of an offer.

Re: School me on bass.... [Re: Donald Harper] #11020850 08/05/15 02:45 AM
J
jbcarroll3000 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted By: WASTINGTIME

Sent a pm

Got it. I look forward to helping you. Anyone is welcome at my house anytime and you will leave with a better knowledge of how to fish the way you have to fish; whether it be form the bank in a pond, creek, lake or form a boat. I will customize your best baits that you have so they will catch more fish and help you add the things you need at no cost to you. I have a shop full of baits and plastics that I will never use.

Thanks for asking,
Donald

Mr. Harper always gives great advice on the forum, so this is a heck of an offer. Definitely take him up on it.

Re: School me on bass.... [Re: WASTINGTIME] #11020980 08/05/15 03:41 AM
S
stratos1760dv Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Buy buck Perry's home study course. It is the source of all the location stuff written about bass. It also talks about presentation and what lures are needed to strain the water to find the correct depth and speed you need to be fishing at the right place at the right time. Best thing I ever did. Itainttv.com or Amazon or eBay. I did not read all the posts but I guarantee there is enough unused tackle amongst everyone here to supply you for a long time. Just really no easy way to get it to you.

Re: School me on bass.... [Re: Donald Harper] #11021406 08/05/15 01:32 PM
Bois d'arc Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler

If you don't jump on this offer you need your head examined loco_2

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide