F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
F
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I was able to find this kayak at Mainer Sails in Dallas.
The family & I finally had the opportunity to demo the Prowler BigGame II yesterday.
On the water it felt more boyant than my 2014 Malibu X-Factor rated for (600lbs.).
The Big Game II is not as open or roomy as a few other yaks I've owned. But, I did find it's high low seat to be very nice! I think i will even appriciate it more once i get the chance to fish out of it.
This kayak is quicker & more responsive than I had imagined it'd be.
It did't track like my 14.5 X-Factor.
Better paddle control is required (not a big deal). I'd compair it's tracking to be like a WS Ride 135.
This Ocean Kayak is VERY stable. I was able to stand & paddle it with easy.

My son (65lbs.) & daughter (95lbs.)even took turns riding with dad (260lbs.)
They were both able to stand & move from front to rear while I paddled with not much effort. "Keep your weight in the middle," I told them.

Then, my wife (I'll say around 125lbs sarcastic) rode with me. She too stood while I paddled her around. We all flipped intentionally of course hmmm OK, maybe we really turtled 1 time accidentally.
Then, we were all able to get back in. Me first then, I was able to assist them in. It's not the easiest yak to upright because of it's width & chair. But, I found that if I'd reach under & grab n hold down the oposite side while lifting the side closest to me, it rights with a lot less effort. It's Primary stability is Fantastic! It's secondary stability is lacking a bit. But, over all I was more than impressed with it's overall stability, handling, speed, seat, hatches, construction, water tightness & amazing boyance. So far it seems like it's gonna make a nice BIG GAME yak for me thumb

More on OK Prowler BIG GAME II

[Linked Image] More INFO - Click here
Yesterdays water was super smooth. So, I did'nt have the opportunity to see how the wind effected this yak. Would also like to see how it performs in the waves or surf. Looking to test that out soon wink At this point I can say it's performed well. About a 8.5 to 9 on a 10 scale. Till then...

Re: Ocean Kayak Prowler BIG GAME II - Review [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #11011964 07/31/15 05:34 PM
J
JOED214 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Great boat for sure. I love mine! thumb

Re: Ocean Kayak Prowler BIG GAME II - Review [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #11012129 07/31/15 06:58 PM
Y
yakintime Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Y
Thanks Zombie!
I can't wait to hear more regarding rougher conditions.
I appreciate you sharing your experience with it for the rest of us.

Re: Ocean Kayak Prowler BIG GAME II - Review [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #11012423 07/31/15 09:27 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Solid post. Thanks for sharing. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Ocean Kayak Prowler BIG GAME II - Review [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #11012510 07/31/15 09:57 PM
Jimbo Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
When I was kayak shopping last year the BGII was near the top of my list.
I looked it over while it was next to the Old Town Predator 13 and they were very similar but I leaned toward the BGII and almost pulled the trigger because the weight was 70# whereas the Predator 13 was 86#.
Weight was very important to me with back/shoulder issues so I settled another lighter kayak which I'm more than happy with.
The BGII is one fine kayak! thumb

Last edited by Jimbo; 07/31/15 10:08 PM. Reason: punkjation

Just one more cast!

Re: Ocean Kayak Prowler BIG GAME II - Review [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #11012556 07/31/15 10:19 PM
B
B_Rod Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Thank for the review, Zombie...when we hitting the coast? noidea

Re: Ocean Kayak Prowler BIG GAME II - Review [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #11016334 08/03/15 10:51 AM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
F
Yakintime,
My pleasure.

Jimbo,
I agree. Ocean keeps their weight to an optimum. Theyve been at a long time n know what they r doing.

BRod,
The salt is ever calling me. It's like a seashell to my ear. I'm ready. Let's MAKE it happen cheers

Re: Ocean Kayak Prowler BIG GAME II - Review [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #11016637 08/03/15 02:59 PM
Jimbo Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE
Yakintime,

Jimbo,
I agree. Ocean keeps their weight to an optimum. Theyve been at a long time n know what they r doing.

Yep, I started out fishing from a OK Scrambler and it was well used when I got it and even moreso after I sold it. I've owned another and wish I had kept at least one of them.
You'll get a lot of service out of that kayak!

Just one more cast!

Re: Ocean Kayak Prowler BIG GAME II - Review [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #11058041 08/23/15 02:54 AM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
F
Well as I said the salt kept calling and I had to answer:

Review part 2:
Made it to the coast & found heavy winds and rains.
By day 2 1/2 I was worried we might have wasted time coming to the coast wink
No one can win em all right. Besides, its got to eventually stop raining right?
I was able to run some shark baits out in the big game II and I was again impressed with its buoyancy!
It easily stayed on top of the waves that most yaks wouldn't be able to handle. The wave came about every 4 seconds & were rather large. .
No problem for this yak wink When the wind & rains let up, off to the rigs we went.
The big game II performed very well. I covered close to 7 miles and was pleased with its over all performance.
Because of the rough water I chose to stay in the low seat position (nice option). If your considering
a Ocean Big Game II for OFFSHORE u may want a rudder system too. In wind & current I found it wanting more paddle control. Also the smaller cockpit and rod pod are going to take some getting use to. I am use to a more open cockpit area. I didn't realize the tank well was much smaller than my x-factors. For paddling rivers, big lakes, BTB & offshore fishing this yak scores high. Big rating for the OCEAN KAYAK BIG GAME II.

Re: Ocean Kayak Prowler BIG GAME II - Review [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #11058084 08/23/15 03:21 AM
T
TreeBass Offline
Lt. Dan
Lt. Dan
T
Great review, appreciate it thumb

[Linked Image]

My success in life is measured by the number of hunting
and fishing stories that my kids can share with others

Sure-Life Products
Dobyns Rods
Holding The Line Guide Service
www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum
Re: Ocean Kayak Prowler BIG GAME II - Review [Re: TreeBass] #11058847 08/23/15 06:28 PM
B
BankAngler50 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Originally Posted By: TreeBass
Great review, appreciate it thumb
+1 especially the family and BTB reviews thumb can two people fish out of this boat? I know my son would to love to go for a ride but dad want to fish fish

Why do I go fishing? To catch a box of fish and/or some quality time under the sun. Thank Heaven I never fail fishing in Texas, catching box fish or plenty of sunburn.
Re: Ocean Kayak Prowler BIG GAME II - Review [Re: BankAngler50] #11060391 08/24/15 02:20 PM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: BankAngler50
can two people fish out of this boat? I know my son would to love to go for a ride but dad want to fish fish

The BIG GAME II isn't really designed for 2 people to fish from.
I wouldn't advise you fish together BTB or offshore in this kayak. Although depending on your skills, his age, sea legs n weight, it could probably be done on a VERY SMOOTH day in IDEAL WEATHER CONDITIONS of course. My son loves to go on rides n fish with dad too. But, he is getting too big now & will need his own yak very soon. The only reason I had the wife n kids on it was for fun on a hot day & to see how buoyant & stable it really is. Also you'll need to understand that we did turtle that one smooth day on the lake 1 time. We didn't have any fishing gear with us either.

I'm working on getting my son his own yak now.

Re: Ocean Kayak Prowler BIG GAME II - Review [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #11061160 08/24/15 09:13 PM
B
BankAngler50 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Thanks Zombie, that's about what I thought, my son weight about 60 lb too. Oh well may be the trend will get bigger, but I do like this yaks handling of waves and shallow water thumb thanks again for your detailed reviews, very insightful and helpful. thumb

Why do I go fishing? To catch a box of fish and/or some quality time under the sun. Thank Heaven I never fail fishing in Texas, catching box fish or plenty of sunburn.
Re: Ocean Kayak Prowler BIG GAME II - Review [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #11061455 08/25/15 12:11 AM
F
Fish ZoMbiE Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
F
Your welcome fellas & thanks right back thumb
I'm glad to hear the review helped laugh
Look for a demo days to test out this high capacity big water kayak.
Many yak anglers know that "You've got to test them out to know if it's the best yak for you."
Puttin your tail in the seat of a kayak on water is by far the best way to do so.
Please feel free to ask me here or in a PM for any additional info.
Mariner Sails of Dallas usually keeps these in stock. You can also look
for a YouTube rigging video soon on this Big Game II wink

Re: Ocean Kayak Prowler BIG GAME II - Review [Re: Fish ZoMbiE] #11061706 08/25/15 01:54 AM
M
Mark Ray Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
M
Originally Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE
Well as I said the salt kept calling and I had to answer:

Review part 2:
Made it to the coast & found heavy winds and rains.
By day 2 1/2 I was worried we might have wasted time coming to the coast wink
No one can win em all right. Besides, its got to eventually stop raining right?
I was able to run some shark baits out in the big game II and I was again impressed with its buoyancy!
It easily stayed on top of the waves that most yaks wouldn't be able to handle. The wave came about every 4 seconds & were rather large. .
No problem for this yak wink When the wind & rains let up, off to the rigs we went.
The big game II performed very well. I covered close to 7 miles and was pleased with its over all performance.
Because of the rough water I chose to stay in the low seat position (nice option). If your considering
a Ocean Big Game II for OFFSHORE u may want a rudder system too. In wind & current I found it wanting more paddle control. Also the smaller cockpit and rod pod are going to take some getting use to. I am use to a more open cockpit area. I didn't realize the tank well was much smaller than my x-factors. For paddling rivers, big lakes, BTB & offshore fishing this yak scores high. Big rating for the OCEAN KAYAK BIG GAME II.

sure it is a great kayak...

but did you catch anything?!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide