Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,037,798
Posts13,934,681
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
need some one to go fish with at canyon lake and more tips on it #11011936 07/31/15 05:21 PM
R
Ryan B Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
I'm staying here another week and only caught one 6 pound blue cat out of the whole time I've been here. I need advice on where to fish and what bait and what rig to use. I just wanna catch a few eaters to have for dinner one night. I wish I could find some one up here to fish with that knows the lake pretty good. If any of y'all know any good bank spots to fish or areas around boat ramp 6 I can get my little bass raider to I would like to know them because I wanna catch a few cats. Please any help on this lake will help me alot. Please give advice. Thank yall

20 year old angler. Work hard Fish Harder!!!
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: need some one to go fish with at canyon lake and more tips on it [Re: Ryan B] #11012066 07/31/15 06:22 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
If you've already caught one six pound blue then you were obviously fishing in the right spot!
I'm going to take a guess and say maybe there is something wrong with your technique or setup.
Did you chum that area where you caught the cat? How deep were you fishing, and what bait were you using? What kind of hooks are you using? Are you missing bites?
Sometimes just changing baits can make a difference if the cats get finicky.

Last edited by Jimbo; 07/31/15 06:26 PM.

Just one more cast!

Re: need some one to go fish with at canyon lake and more tips on it [Re: Jimbo] #11012091 07/31/15 06:36 PM
R
Ryan B Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
I did not chum and I'm using treble hooks with dough and punch bait. I'm just fishing to the right of boat ramp 6 in the sticks. I'm using a tie on weight about a foot away from the hook. I use 3 poles with different baits. when I used soured Milo it did not help at all.

Re: need some one to go fish with at canyon lake and more tips on it [Re: Ryan B] #11012672 07/31/15 11:18 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
When I use punch bait fishing for eater size cats 1 1/2 to 3 lbs, I use about a medium weight rod and reel with about 12 to 14# line. I rig it with a #6 treble hook and about 12 to 14" up from the hook I place a split shot that is just heavy enough to cast and hold the bait on the bottom. (A split shot works better than tieing a weight to the line because it's easier to detect a bite, and you don't want the fish feeling too heavy a weight or it will drop the bait).
I hold onto the rod and take up much of the slack but leave just a slight bow in the line.
I watch the line and if it suddenly goes slack or begins to tighten up or twitches I set the hook.
You may have a few false pickups and come up empty but soon you will develop a
feel for fishing the punch bait.
Cats don't always just pick up and run. They will when they are really hungry and want it, but a lot of times they'll just mouth the bait and you completely miss seeing the pickup and think there just aren't any fish there.
Give that a try next time you fish your punch bait and see what happens.
Canyon has a lot of cats but they can be really finicky eaters so don't be shy about changing baits.
On your other rods try using circle hoods and place them in rod holders. Leave a little slack in the line and when you see one bending don't rare back and set the hook or you'll pull the hook out of the fishes mouth and miss it completely.
With a circle hook you just take the rod out of the rod holder and then just start reeling in because the fish will set the hook on itself.
What is important is make sure on the circle hook that you don't fill in the throat of the hook with too big a bait. You want most of the hook showing to get a good hook hold in the corner of the fishes mouth.
With the heat you probably want to get out there just at or a little before daylight. Late, late evening should also be good!
Give these tricks a try and you should put a couple more cats in the pan.

Last edited by Jimbo; 07/31/15 11:54 PM.

Just one more cast!

Re: need some one to go fish with at canyon lake and more tips on it [Re: Jimbo] #11012846 08/01/15 01:00 AM
R
Ryan B Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
thank u so much man. How far up toms creek should I go?

Re: need some one to go fish with at canyon lake and more tips on it [Re: Ryan B] #11012879 08/01/15 01:16 AM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I would walk as far as you feel comfortable walking. If I remember correctly there is some brush and a small cut that goes into the bank not far from the launch. I once set out some juglines there and caught some nice cats.
That cove is pretty fishy if that's a good way to describe it.
Just find yourself a nice level comfortable spot to setup and go for it.
I wouldn't give up on the chum.
You can go to the feed store and pick up a sack of range cubes but tell the guy you want 20% protien cubes. The reason is the 20% don't float away when you throw them out. They'll sink to the bottom, but don't throw but a handful or so before you fish. When you leave throw out about a couple of coffee cans full, and that way when you go back there the next day or afternoon the spot will be well chummed and the cats should be there.
Don't be too obvious so as not to alert someone to your honey hole.

Just one more cast!

Re: need some one to go fish with at canyon lake and more tips on it [Re: Jimbo] #11012962 08/01/15 01:59 AM
R
Ryan B Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
Okay, I got a troller motor for my bass raider so I'll try to fish up in toms creek tomorrow With some punch bait.

Re: need some one to go fish with at canyon lake and more tips on it [Re: Ryan B] #11013278 08/01/15 11:44 AM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
With that same punch bait rig since you are fishing from a boat, don't cast out with the punch bait.
Let the line out right over the side of the boat and let the bait hit the bottom.
Once it hits the bottom turn the reel handle maybe one turn. When you feel a gentle tug or a twitch, or your rod tip starts to gently pull down, set the hook.
If you don't get a bite within about ten minutes refresh the punch bait.
You always want fresh bait on your hook fishing the punch bait. It gets water logged and the scent diminishes so keep it fresh. Also give it a chance to draw the fish in which it will. I usually don't move for at least 30 minutes to give the bait scent time to work. When you move you don't have to move far, maybe just move to a deeper or shallower depth depening on where you started fishing.

Last edited by Jimbo; 08/01/15 11:48 AM.

Just one more cast!

Re: need some one to go fish with at canyon lake and more tips on it [Re: Ryan B] #11013282 08/01/15 11:55 AM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Have patience my man!
Learning is what it's all about!
I've been fishing for almost 60 years and I started like you, before I was in my teens and the great thing about fishing is you never stop learning.
Post a report, and always remember it's called fishing, and not catching.
If it was catching we'd all get bored and take up golf!
hammer

Just one more cast!

Re: need some one to go fish with at canyon lake and more tips on it [Re: Jimbo] #11013359 08/01/15 01:08 PM
R
Ryan B Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
Yes sir thank you so much roflmao

Re: need some one to go fish with at canyon lake and more tips on it [Re: Ryan B] #11013931 08/01/15 08:21 PM
C
Chemdawg Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
fined some shallow water vegetation that the wind it blowing in too. chum this is important set up with a slop cork and a #6-4 treble hooks i like to cast just on the other side of were i chummed and right up against the structure give it 20-30 mins if you dont get a bit or it is slow or there all small pick up and move you may not have to move vary far stumps shrubs cattails or shallow rocky areas if it look like it would hold bass more then likely there are cats there too but you need to remember to chum i have a dog food scooper i toss out 4 scoops at first if there there and were catching the in 45min i will toss out 4 1/4th scoops and i do this every 45 min or so to keep drawing them in when i say shallow i am talking 1-3ft max

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide