Forums59
Topics1,037,810
Posts13,934,881
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Picking up my first boat today! What do I need to do first?? #11011643 07/31/15 02:48 PM
G
GarrettM Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
G
Hey guys!

I am officially picking up my first boat today at 4pm! It is a 2015 tracker grizzly 1648 with a 20 horse Merc. My question is what do I need to do after I get it? I know that may sound dumb but Ive never had a boat before.

Im buying it new at the dealer so im sure they are taking care of registration and stuff but do I need to put numbers on the side before it touches the water?

Also Ive been doing some reading on what im required to have on the boat to be legal. I THINK I have it figured out. Since im 16 ft I just need a PFD for each person, a throwable PFD and a whistle. Is that all or am I missing something?

Thanks for all the help and be sure and let me know any other tips or advice on things I may not be thinking about. Time to start the break in.

Re: Picking up my first boat today! What do I need to do first?? [Re: GarrettM] #11011777 07/31/15 04:08 PM
D
DCmac Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
Congrats! Every guy (& gal) should have a boat.
There MAY be a grace period before you have to put the stickers on (Okla gives you 30 days). If dealer is doing registration &c I'd do it as soon as they hand the stickers to you if they don't put them on the boat themselves.
Don't overlook insurance. Your auto policy MAY cover the boat & trailer when they're being towed. I pay an extra $120/year for comprehensive on boat, accessories, motor & trailer.
THEN GAS IT UP AND GO!

Fishing, a man knows a serenity of soul and peace of mind that he finds in doing nothing else, and it makes no difference whether or not he catches anything. The mind of a true fisherman is not on petty subjects.
Re: Picking up my first boat today! What do I need to do first?? [Re: GarrettM] #11011779 07/31/15 04:10 PM
M
Mustang3475 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Don't forget the plug!! roflmao

texas
Re: Picking up my first boat today! What do I need to do first?? [Re: GarrettM] #11011824 07/31/15 04:29 PM
M
Muzzlebrake Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
fire extinguisher is good to have

From Genesis: "And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the earth."

Then He made the earth round...and He laughed and laughed and laughed!

Re: Picking up my first boat today! What do I need to do first?? [Re: Muzzlebrake] #11011910 07/31/15 05:11 PM
S
Stump jumper Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
S
Originally Posted By: Muzzlebrake
fire extinguisher is good to have
also required. Learn how to back it up and practice loading and unloading on a slow day at the ramp.

2200 Bay Champ/200 Mercury Optimax
2017 Tundra TSS 4x4 Crewmax 5.7L
Re: Picking up my first boat today! What do I need to do first?? [Re: GarrettM] #11011996 07/31/15 05:48 PM
J
JimmyP Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Make sure you follow the manufacturers break in procedure for the motor. Use the proper oil and fuel. Get lifejackets, paddle, fire extinguiser,and throw cushion to meet all TPWD rules. The dealer should do all the paper work on the registration so just carry that until your stuff comes in the mail. Then you can put your TX numbers and sticker on. Be safe and enjoy your new boat.

Re: Picking up my first boat today! What do I need to do first?? [Re: GarrettM] #11012007 07/31/15 05:52 PM
F
FMJshooter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Find some fish to christen the boat!

Re: Picking up my first boat today! What do I need to do first?? [Re: GarrettM] #11012083 07/31/15 06:34 PM
G
GarrettM Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
G
I think the boat comes with a fire extinguisher, I will double check and pick one up if not. I just finished signing a policy on my insurance. I buddy of mine/TFF member got me great full coverage with lots of extras for $190 a year. Im trying to find a ramp that's open locally to get to. I live in Irving. I think one ramp may be open on Lewisville but Im sure everybody and their dog will be there.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Re: Picking up my first boat today! What do I need to do first?? [Re: GarrettM] #11012084 07/31/15 06:34 PM
R
redchevy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
First thing I would do is get a bigger motor before you complete the transaction. I think you will find a 20 hp on that boat to be lacking.

Congrats, have fun. They should give you a provisional registration, like a paper plate on a new car if you will. Be careful out there, it doesn't have brakes like a car. You at a minimum need life preservers.

Have fun

Re: Picking up my first boat today! What do I need to do first?? [Re: GarrettM] #11012154 07/31/15 07:14 PM
A
Anchorman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
Congrats on the new boat. It will be a fun new adventure for you. Just always think safety. Don't assume the other boat(s) see you or care about you. Even though you won't get much courtesy shown towards you on these urban lakes around here always show courtesy to others. Don't get too close. When approaching a boat head on or close to head on let them know you see them by veering and committing to yielding to one side or the other. It just lets them know you see them. If you will be out at night learn what the colors mean on the navigation lights. I also suggest a good spot light. get the number off the bulbs in your navigation and anchor lights and buy extra bulbs (unless you have led's). You don't want a night fishing trip ruined because a light don't work. When I launch my boat I always like to make sure the water pump is "peeing" before I get too far out. keep extra ropes and a good anchor. Don't go out without an anchor. If you get stranded an anchor will keep you off the rocks. I keep about 4 ropes about 6-8 ft long for tying up to docks. And I keep two long ropes for towing, tying up to trees, pilings, etc. Generally speaking in rough water you want the engine down to bring the boat down into the water. You don't want to make sharp turns with the engine trimmed up much. Rough water and turns suck it down, smooth water or steady even waves its usually okay to trim it up and go. Get you a cheap tool set and keep it on the boat. keep an extra cell phone charger on your boat. Disconnect your batteries when the boat is in storage. Always charge your trolling motor batteries within 24 hours of using them. Keep a maintainer on them and the cranking battery after they are fully charged. A maintainer won't bring a deep cycle battery to full charge but will maintain it pretty well. Don't tow it on the trailer without a transom saver and good ratchet tie downs. Always check your lug nuts, air pressure, and bearing buddy's before towing. You don't need to grease the bearings every time you go. Just a couple of times a year.

I'm just typing as ideas come to mind. As you see there is a lot to owning a boat and keeping it lake ready and safe. Just always think safety. Anytime you have people in your boat it is your responsibility to bring them back. Its your boat. You set the rules. I'm not saying you need to be all serious and strict. But don't take safety for granted. You can be safe and have fun too. Good luck out there and congrats again on the new boat!

If it ain't yours don't mess with it!
Need a friendly place to talk hunting? www.talkhunting.com

Re: Picking up my first boat today! What do I need to do first?? [Re: GarrettM] #11012339 07/31/15 08:53 PM
gary purdy Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Hope seller told you more than a guy I just meet at the ramp. He was pulled up to top of ramp jump charging the cranking battery when I stop to see if he needed help. He didn't know: that he had to pump up the fuel bulb, have the kill switch lanyard attached or push in on the key to choke before turning to start the outboard. I went over all of the safety, fishing and boater regulations for Alan Henry too. He just purchased this boat from a boat dealer in Lubbock. Unbelievable.

The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those who watch them without doing anything. Remember what He has done and remember that He is not done yet!-- GOD IS GOOD
Re: Picking up my first boat today! What do I need to do first?? [Re: GarrettM] #11012441 07/31/15 09:33 PM
kingdad101 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
find a lake with open ramp...

Re: Picking up my first boat today! What do I need to do first?? [Re: GarrettM] #11012454 07/31/15 09:40 PM
tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Practice backing your trailer before you get to the ramp!!

I live with Fear everyday but sometimes she lets me go fishin
Lewisvillecatfish.com

PB 65#
www.lewisvillecatfish.com
Facebook.com/Tom Gravley
www.youtube.com/gravleybrats
Re: Picking up my first boat today! What do I need to do first?? [Re: GarrettM] #11012514 07/31/15 09:59 PM
B
Bob Landry Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I'm always amazed at the amount of stuff a noobie gets told he needs for a new boat. Come on, guys, how much room do you think this guy has in a 16' boat?

Garrett, go to TP&W website, look in the boating section and download the Texas Water Safety Act. It will tell you everything you are required to have on any boat of any size as well as rules of the road and other information you will need to be safe on the water. Start off with the required safety equipment and take the boat out a few times, see how you are going to use it and then equip it for the way YOU are going to use it. You aren't going to need multiple tow and dock lines or a tool box. You are just going out on the lake for a day and you have a cell phone for emergencies if you need it.

2015 Seaark 1872 MV CC Etec-90
Two Helix 12 CHIRP SI's, , MinnKota Riptide ST80/i-pilot Link, Bob's Hydraulic
2020 Robalo R200 CC, Yamaha 150

Bitter Gun Owner
Bitter Clinger
Armed Infidel
Re: Picking up my first boat today! What do I need to do first?? [Re: GarrettM] #11012602 07/31/15 10:40 PM
A
Anchorman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
I had a 16 ft boat for 10 years and accumulated all these things over time. At some point I needed them. I'm not talking about a big bulky heavy tool box. I'm talking about one of them kits that has the very basics in it that weighs about 5-10 lbs. Dock lines and tow lines should be in every boat. They are inexpensive, light weight, and don't take up any room at all. Everyone has their own way of doing things. The man is a new boat owner and asked for help. These things are all common in any boat. Maybe not yours but most.

If it ain't yours don't mess with it!
Need a friendly place to talk hunting? www.talkhunting.com

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide