Print Thread
Float tubes with two pontoon #11007997 07/29/15 07:49 PM
S
SlowDown Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
My new float tube leaks, so I will return it and look for another one. Academy has several Caddis tubes. One of them has a straight pontoon on each side, i.e. Is not a U orV shape. It is the Cadis Navigator IV Float Tube. Have any of you used this or a similar tube with the pontoons? If so, would you recommend one of the style?

Re: Float tubes with two pontoon [Re: SlowDown] #11008253 07/29/15 10:18 PM
S
SpiderJig Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
I use a Togiak and it has a bladder in each side. I highly recommend it. I'm a big guy at 6'7 240 and it holds me great

PB- 10lb 5oz Purtis Creek 7-25-15
Re: Float tubes with two pontoon [Re: SlowDown] #11008273 07/29/15 10:33 PM
S
SlowDown Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
Spider Jig, I appreciate your reply and the recommendation. Helps to know what works well for others like yourself.

Re: Float tubes with two pontoon [Re: SlowDown] #11008337 07/29/15 11:02 PM
S
SpiderJig Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Yes Sir, no problem. There's also 3 different storage compartments on each side. I keep my plastics and hard baits in the larger compartments on each side. There's 2 smaller compartments on each side for misc use. There's also 2 compartments on the sides towards the back of the sitting area that are good for holding my dry bag with keys, wallet, etc. I also use those for hats, sunscreen, buffs, etc. In the very back is a mesh bottom that could be used for a live well if you wanted too, I use it to hold my shoes while on the water. It also comes with shoulder straps to make it easy own you carrying it in and out of places. That's all I got, lol

PB- 10lb 5oz Purtis Creek 7-25-15
Re: Float tubes with two pontoon [Re: SlowDown] #11008365 07/29/15 11:17 PM
P
porta Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
P
How did the Cumberland work for you other than leaks? Did you have a puncture or seam/wear failure? Curious about pros and cons.

If you go to Bass Pro website, there are some 17 reviews of the Caddis Navigator pontoon style similar to the model you're looking at.
The newer ones don't seem to be as durable as the older. You will be sitting in the water, supported on a sling, maybe not as comfortable for some. The spreader bar is used to keep the pontoons apart- may not work as well as the seat foam of a bottom seat like the Cumberland.

Hope this helps.

PC

Re: Float tubes with two pontoon [Re: SlowDown] #11008515 07/30/15 12:35 AM
S
SlowDown Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
Porta, I returned the Cumberland because it seemed so large, never put it in the water. At that point, I mistakenly thought I'd rather have one of the old donut, truck inner tube floats. My buddy loaned me an old one he has had for twenty years and using it one time was enough for me to learn how hard it is to get into and out of those things with fins on your feet. Tripped several times and stumbled around, almost killed myself. (Have I ever told you I learn everything the hard way?).

Next, I ordered a cheap Teton float from Walmart and used it the first time this morning. After I had fished for three hours it had leaked about a third of the air out of it. So, I returned it this afternoon for a refund and am back to square one. I'm looking, again, at tubes on the Internet and asking for people's opinions.

Re: Float tubes with two pontoon [Re: SlowDown] #11008799 07/30/15 02:37 AM
K.D. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Same response as last time. Get the Caddis premier and be done. If it ever leaks, take it back and exchange it for another. Keep your receipts.

Re: Float tubes with two pontoon [Re: SlowDown] #11012205 07/31/15 07:36 PM
S
SlowDown Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
Went to Academy this morning and they had one tube in their store, Caddis Nevada U-Float. Probably a piece of junk, but I wanted one now so I can fish next week, so I bought it. If it fails I can return it.

Re: Float tubes with two pontoon [Re: SlowDown] #11012246 07/31/15 07:57 PM
F
Fishbonz Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F
This one is from www.creekcompany.com Very nice tube for the $$. If it has a leak they will replace the Air bladder ASAP. I haven't had that problem but nice to know thumbThey have other models also.

HE aka Fishbonz
Re: Float tubes with two pontoon [Re: SlowDown] #11013553 08/01/15 03:14 PM
S
SlowDown Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
If the bladder leaks on any make of tube, they will replace it during the warranty period, but you have to fill out a form and send it to them and then wait for them to ship the replacement bladder to you. The reason I bought one from academy is because if it fails, I can return the whole tube and get another one while I'm in the store. At least I can do that for the first 30 days, and maybe longer. The fact is, from what I read, too many of these vinyl bladders that are used in all but the expensive tubes fail. Bladders made with urethane are a quantum leap up in quality, such as in the Outcast tubes. The suggested list price of an Outcast Fat Cat -LCS is $379.00. If I continue having problems with the sorry vinyl bladders, I may eventually break down and buy a Fat Cat. At my age, though, I really don't want to spend that much on a tube. Maybe some of the tubes with vinyl bladders are better than others??? I haven't read any reviews or articles saying that is the case, so I'm assuming they are all poor quality that are going to fail sooner or later.

Re: Float tubes with two pontoon [Re: SlowDown] #11013638 08/01/15 04:18 PM
P
porta Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
P
Hope my comments inside your message below help.
PC

"If the bladder leaks on any make of tube, they will replace it during the warranty period, but you have to fill out a form and send it to them and then wait for them to ship the replacement bladder to you.
The reason I bought one from academy is because if it fails, I can return the whole tube and get another one while I'm in the store."

PC: Yes, generally true. Some stores may want the whole thing back and the turn around time may be long causing you to cancel a planned trip. Aquaseal UV can be used for quick repairs if it happens during your trip and takes under 10 minutes for a strong patch. But why would you want a tube that leaks so early in the use cycle, likely to do it again... Unless you mean they trade you for a different kind?

"At least I can do that for the first 30 days, and maybe longer. The fact is, from what I read, too many of these vinyl bladders that are used in all but the expensive tubes fail. Bladders made with urethane are a quantum leap up in quality, such as in the Outcast tubes. The suggested list price of an Outcast Fat Cat -LCS is $379.00. If I continue having problems with the sorry vinyl bladders, I may eventually break down and buy a Fat Cat. At my age, though, I really don't want to spend that much on a tube. Maybe some of the tubes with vinyl bladders are better than others??? I haven't read any reviews or articles saying that is the case, so I'm assuming they are all poor quality that are going to fail sooner or later."

PC: The Creek company (same as Fishbonz pic above) vinyl bladders have never leaked for us in over 5 years of use. My wife and I have six of them for us and guests (comfortable! use on river instead of rent tubes) and I use the same one for fishing- averages one time per week over that time. We got them for an average of well under $150 each during Xmas sales. Maybe I've been lucky for 6 times in a row over 5 years. My own fishing tube is showing wear after so much use and a small spot on the seam was repaired just recently. Never a danger though, because there is a 2nd backup seam behind it. But, I don't go thru many inflation/deflation cycles as mine is has been left inflated and packed, ready to go each week for over 5 years. The optional inflatable seat for this model has been more trouble, with 3 repaired leaks at the seam over 5 years. That said, the super fat cat and urethane bladders are higher quality tubes, but I could buy at least 2+ of ODC 420s for the same price. The SFC will be big, bulky and heavy, like the Cumberland you returned.

Last edited by porta; 08/01/15 04:23 PM.
Re: Float tubes with two pontoon [Re: SlowDown] #11013750 08/01/15 05:52 PM
S
SlowDown Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
S
Porta, perhaps the pvc bladders in Creek Company tubes ARE made better than some other brands. With as many tubes as you have had, and for that long, they have held up very well. I'll see how this one I have holds up. If it fails, and in time when I can still return it, I'll take a serious look ar a Creek Company tube. Thank you, and all others, for the comments. They all add to my "education" related to float tubes, and I've certainly started from ground zero. Having one leak on me the first time I put it in the water was a bummer, plus reading reports by others that have had bladder failures, so I lost confidence in basically all vinyl bladders. Maybe, hopefully, some of them are not so bad.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide