Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Bridgeport Floaters #11002208 07/27/15 02:01 AM
C
Champion 2005 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Went out today to see the lake been about 7 years since my last trip lake looks great except for all the bass floating around the Wise County ramp.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Bridgeport Floaters [Re: Champion 2005] #11002239 07/27/15 02:21 AM
B
Bugzout10 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Must of have been the two tourneys yesterday popcorn

No Sharelunker and counting
Re: Bridgeport Floaters [Re: Bugzout10] #11002266 07/27/15 02:35 AM
N
NTX Fisherman Offline
Angler
Angler
N
Originally Posted By: Bugzout10
Must of have been the two tourneys yesterday popcorn

Re: Bridgeport Floaters [Re: Champion 2005] #11002452 07/27/15 08:24 AM
I
I love fishing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I
Is it legal to pick up dead bass for consumption instead of it going to waste? Is big limit applied in a situation like this? That's the sad part about the tourneys at the end. Lots of dead basses.

Re: Bridgeport Floaters [Re: I love fishing] #11002681 07/27/15 01:51 PM
F
Fishbreeder Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
From most of what I've seen on tv and elsewhere, even when trying to be gentle, the weigh-in is just a lot more stress than most fish can handle, and even if released alive, delayed mortality is likely an issue.

As a Fisheries Biologist for the last 30+ years, all I can say, with so few fish (as compared to working on fish farms, fish transfer stations, hatcheries, live hauls, etc. with HUGE amounts of live fish that MUST stay alive or nobody gets paid), there really is no reason it couldn't be done a lot better.

I'm not sure if any of these tournament trails use a biologist for assistance, but most could sure use some good advice on how to handle fish and keep them alive.

Re: Bridgeport Floaters [Re: Champion 2005] #11002741 07/27/15 02:17 PM
P
pocfishin Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
It appears that it is not legal to "pick up" dead LMB. https://tpwd.texas.gov/regulations/outdo...evices-for-fish

Game Fish

Game fish may be taken only by pole and line (which includes rod and reel), except as otherwise provided in this guide. A person may fish with multiple poles or other devices, except as provided herein. In fresh water, there is a limit of 100 hooks on all devices combined.

Dip Net

A dip net is a mesh bag suspended from a frame attached to a handle.

May be used to take NONGAME fish only.
May be used to aid in the landing of fish caught by other legal devices.
In SALT WATER, nongame fish may be taken for bait purposes only.

Handfishing

Fishing by the use of hands only. The use of any other fishing device while handfishing (including but not limited to gaff, pole hook, trap, spear or stick) is unlawful.
No person may intentionally place a trap (including such devices as boxes, barrels or pipes) in public fresh water for the purpose of taking catfish by handfishing.
May be used to take channel, blue and flathead catfish in fresh water only.

Re: Bridgeport Floaters [Re: Champion 2005] #11002871 07/27/15 03:07 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Tournaments should be outlawed in Texas from June 15-September 30. Too dammed hot, too little dissolved oxygen and too much stress on fish being carried around in a livewell all day. Seems like common sense to me. It was 104.2 in Mineola, yesterday with surface temps in the mid to high 80's. How many fish can survive that type of stress?

Let's say you monitor your livewells closer than most. You pump in 88 degree surface water and put fish in it. Then you cool that water to 75 degrees with ice and add Catch-n-Release. Then you attempt to maintain that cool temp throughout the day while attempting to manage ammonia and dissolved oxygen levels. Then you take those 75 degree fish, haul them up to weigh in, stress them some more and release back into 88 degree water. I wouldn't be surprised by 100% post-release mortality within two days, given these conditions. Tournaments (if at all) during this period should be required to use the MLF format or have a paper tourney, imo.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Bridgeport Floaters [Re: fouzman] #11002898 07/27/15 03:18 PM
Gamblinman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Originally Posted By: fouzman
Tournaments should be outlawed in Texas from June 15-September 30. Too dammed hot, too little dissolved oxygen and too much stress on fish being carried around in a livewell all day. Seems like common sense to me. It was 104.2 in Mineola, yesterday with surface temps in the mid to high 80's. How many fish can survive that type of stress?

Let's say you monitor your livewells closer than most. You pump in 88 degree surface water and put fish in it. Then you cool that water to 75 degrees with ice and add Catch-n-Release. Then you attempt to maintain that cool temp throughout the day while attempting to manage ammonia and dissolved oxygen levels. Then you take those 75 degree fish, haul them up to weigh in, stress them some more and release back into 88 degree water. I wouldn't be surprised by 100% post-release mortality within two days, given these conditions. Tournaments (if at all) during this period should be required to use the MLF format or have a paper tourney, imo.

Well said, sir. Fisheries Biologists have been telling us this for years. Some listen, some don't.

Re: Bridgeport Floaters [Re: Champion 2005] #11003027 07/27/15 04:08 PM
M
Mybrainisflied Offline
Angler
Angler
M
Isn't there tournaments now where an official rides with each participant and adds up weights on a certified scale? This way each fish is released right after it is weighed. Sure you don't have the flashy "look at my fish" hold up photo ops at the weigh in but O well.

Re: Bridgeport Floaters [Re: fouzman] #11003063 07/27/15 04:25 PM
Hard Rain Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru

Either that or weight them in the boat but so many would cheat I am sure that would not work so I agree with Fouzman.

Re: Bridgeport Floaters [Re: Champion 2005] #11003070 07/27/15 04:27 PM
D
Douglas J Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D

#MFGA
Re: Bridgeport Floaters [Re: Champion 2005] #11003129 07/27/15 04:54 PM
D
David Burton Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
D
Outlaw tournaments? Why not just outlaw fishing if you're that concerned about it... The stress of having a sharp hook jammed in the fish's mouth and throat, being brought from depth to surface at 100+... Out of the water for pictures and replacing... What about the delayed mortality of just day-to-day fishing? More fish are caught and released to die!

I am all for conservation, but it is a fish. There are many more in the lake.

Let me clarify, I have been lucky enough not to lose a fish in a tournament. Not that I have had many full limits... But, I don't cool the livewell more than 3-5 degrees. I can see the stress of temperature gradients. Then again, almost all my fish are from shallow water anyway. I use a treatment, but by the end of the day the water temp matches that of the lake. Gradual changes!

No offense to anyone, I am just venting... We are all entitled to our opinions, until the law gets involved! Oh, by the way, saw a few floaters on Monticello yesterday, and I know there weren't any tourneys there!

Last edited by David Burton; 07/27/15 05:27 PM.

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: Bridgeport Floaters [Re: Champion 2005] #11003141 07/27/15 05:00 PM
D
Douglas J Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
D
wow
OMG

#MFGA
Re: Bridgeport Floaters [Re: Hard Rain] #11003146 07/27/15 05:01 PM
O
ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50) Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
Originally Posted By: Hard Rain

Either that or weight them in the boat but so many would cheat I am sure that would not work so I agree with Fouzman.
thumb

2012 ZX200 Skeeter
2012 Yamaha 200 SHO

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Proud student of the Pro Staffer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzwF72B2F2w&t=14s
Re: Bridgeport Floaters [Re: David Burton] #11003236 07/27/15 05:44 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Originally Posted By: David Burton
Outlaw tournaments? Why not just outlaw fishing if you're that concerned about it... The stress of having a sharp hook jammed in the fish's mouth and throat, being brought from depth to surface at 100+... Out of the water for pictures and replacing... What about the delayed mortality of just day-to-day fishing? More fish are caught and released to die!

I am all for conservation, but it is a fish. There are many more in the lake.

Let me clarify, I have been lucky enough not to lose a fish in a tournament. Not that I have had many full limits... But, I don't cool the livewell more than 3-5 degrees. I can see the stress of temperature gradients. Then again, almost all my fish are from shallow water anyway. I use a treatment, but by the end of the day the water temp matches that of the lake. Gradual changes!

No offense to anyone, I am just venting... We are all entitled to our opinions, until the law gets involved! Oh, by the way, saw a few floaters on Monticello yesterday, and I know there weren't any tourneys there!

I said outlaw or go to paper or MLF format. If neither of those are practical, yes outlaw tournaments from June 15-September 30. Your arguments about fish hooks, etc. are typical of tournament anglers. What about day-to-day catch and release? Assuming the fish is caught and released shortly thereafter, no worries. It's the fish that get hauled all over the lake in a livewell in 100+ degree heat that are almost poached when released. That you've never had one die on you in a tournament is great luck and partially testament to your fish care. Most don't die that day but 1-3 days later. Plenty of science to support this. And I've seen it in person and on tv countless times. How many fish do you see cross the stage with yellow eyes, pink fins, foam on their skin and pale gill rakers? I'll guarantee you 95% of fish in that condition are going to die.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide