texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,881
Posts13,954,755
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Any Skagit Casters on here? #10988661 07/20/15 04:23 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
B
I'm using a Switch Rod by TFO Deer Creek, 7 weight, 11' long.

Loaded with Rio Skagit MOW tips. Medium Size.

Rio Skagit Head with OPST Lasar Running Line (been using Amnesia).

There really aren't that many videos of this, I was just curious if you had any resources or videos.

To me this is a great way to cast bulking flies and work down shorelines or drop offs without the false casting. Rod sits under my arm very comfortably for stripping.

Just looking to toss back and forth some ideas and techniques if anyone is into Skagit style casting. Or if anyone is interested I can share what I have learned. I sort of pieced this all together by myself.

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Any Skagit Casters on here? [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #10988766 07/20/15 05:06 PM
R
RexW Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
I played with it quiet a bit last year, but I haven't done much with it this year. So, I hesitate to call myself much of a Skagit caster especially since I don't get to fish it very often.

Skagit is the ultimate shooting head of the two-handed rod world. It is just flat out fun to cast!

You're right, information specific to Skagit casting is not easy to find. Some of the U-tube stuff is OK, but some of it isn't worth watching.

I've had the best results using a double Spey to setup the cast and then the switch cast portion of the cast just uses a smaller D-loop and an almost non-existent pause. The timing on a Skagit line is easier to learn than it is for the long heads on traditional style Spey lines.

Well, now you've done it, I want to go dig out that rod and go play...

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Any Skagit Casters on here? [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #10992070 07/21/15 10:34 PM
M
mickfly Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
I spent a week on the Grande Ronde in Oregon and Washington with the three guys who "invented" Skagit casting -- Ed Ward, Mike McCune and Scotty O'Donnell. Turns out Ed is a Texan, from Corpus Christi, though they all now reside in the Pacific Northwest. There were five of us up from Texas for a week of Skagit instruction and steelhead fishing. I wish I could say we slayed'em, but we didn't. We did, however, get some great instruction and watching Ed pick apart a section of stream with his Skagit rod was worth the cost of admission all by itself.

Besides time with those instructors, the best info I have found on Skagit casting is in three DVDs: Rio's Modern Speycasting, Skagitmaster Featuring Ed Ward and Skagitmaster 2: Steelheading Outside the Box.

Mickfly
Fish Friendly -- Life's too short to do it any other way
Re: Any Skagit Casters on here? [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #10992134 07/21/15 11:04 PM
M
Meadowlark Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
I'm certainly not accomplished at it...but do enjoy using the technique when the right opportunity presents itself.

I've run into some arrogant types from southern Cal. who believe that its the only way...and fish don't count unless caught using those methods. LOL, its fun to out fish those types with the single handed rod.

It definitely has its place in certain situations...but it isn't going to replace standard single handed fishing any time soon, in my book.

Re: Any Skagit Casters on here? [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #10993580 07/22/15 05:34 PM
B
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
B
What type of running line are ya'll using?

What distance do you get?

I am finding it's a lot less work casting this compared to my buddy in the back of the boat with his single hand rod. Little flick and it's out there....we are working bank lines bass fishing.

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Any Skagit Casters on here? [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #11000644 07/26/15 01:11 AM
T
txww Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
I am using standard 30 foot heads on my 6wt. switch rod. The the 2 that I use the most are a floater and a type 6 sinker. I use the floater for bass and the sinker for whites, stripers etc. I use a .025 rio shooting line.

I am curious as to your reasoning for selecting a skagit line for bank beating. Are you actually skagit casting or overhead casting? Not knocking it at all especially since I use a scandi on my 4wt switch for trout and love casting spey. Just curious as to your line selection.

I'm about to buy a 9 switch for the coast and that will be lined with an 11wt. 30' intermediate shooting head for the surf at Padre.

Looking forward to hearing some new ideas.

Re: Any Skagit Casters on here? [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #11000938 07/26/15 11:49 AM
B
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
B
txww,

I spent sometime looking at the Rio website. We have so many lake options here in East Texas, but my favorite lake fishes a little different than most(its all off shore). It's clear with 20' hydrilla grass lines. I generally throw 3-5"+ flies. It also needs to sink down to the fish. After spending last year casting my 9 weight single hand rod I was wearing myself down blind casting. So after looking, I decided the 2 hand cast looked much easier, get the distance and toss large flies. After looking at the Rio resources, I settled on Skagit for the "Skagit style shooting head that will cast big flies, and the heaviest sinking tips with the utmost of ease. A unique taper design not only casts all the nasty stuff associated with Skagit fishing, but also forms beautiful loops and is extremely pleasant to cast." I found the Skagit Flight on sale since it was last years model.

I am using an overhand cast and a Loop cast (or whatever it called) depending on what angle the boat is ect.

475 grain, 24.5' long.

I change my MOW tips based on the fish. Floating, and sinking. 115+ grain

When I mention "going down a bank", I don't cast right to the bank...more less working (blind casting) a depth and going parallel to the bank line (5'-13' was the depth I fished on Gilmer 2 weeks ago). It's more less a term bass fisherman use...means we can see the bank. smile

BTW what I am doing here is so against the grain. No one uses 2 hand rods to bass fish! smile

I have used it so far to toss streamers to trout on LMF (got my first 20"+), I blind casted the bay (for a few hours), and blind casted the surf for an hour, and bass fished some with it on Gilmer. I just got this rod rigged up at the end of May...it ws a process. It got so hot, I'm not fishing much now, but September and October the Switch Rod will get a work out on the bass on my lil lake! smile

If anyone has a question or idea lets hear it, brainstorm some. Thanks!!

Re: Any Skagit Casters on here? [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #11001935 07/26/15 11:37 PM
C
Capt. Brendan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Texan,

My dad has been looking at spey rods for bass. It's a bit unorthodox but it looks like fun. I would definitely pick up a two hander for throwing big bass flies. Maybe you could swing for stripers and hybrids, although I'm not sure how much luck you'll have with that. Might be fun to try.

[Linked Image]
USCG Licensed Captain & Fly Fishing Guide @ Fishing Bear Lodge
Re: Any Skagit Casters on here? [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #11005113 07/28/15 03:01 PM
B
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
B
It is very unorthodox, but I am hearing there is an "underground" movement of guys taking this rod to the next level(both fresh and salt).....I guess that is what interested me. No set rules, new "thing", and most think it's just a steelhead thing they would never use.

Personally I like throwing big flies, I always have thrown big baits for bass with conventional gear. I got a swimbait that is near a pound and over 10" long....it caught a 10lb bass. smile

BTW there are a video or 2 of guys using them in the surf up NE for stripers. Decent video on how to hold the line in the left hand to allow it to slip out and not knot up. It has helped me a lot.

I still am not getting the 85-125' you hear about. I bet I just need more practice or guidance. smile

Re: Any Skagit Casters on here? [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #11005216 07/28/15 03:47 PM
R
RexW Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
I've got a lot thoughts on using two handed rods around here, but haven't had time to type it up and don't have time right now either.

For Texas, the challenge is learning to use a two handed rod in still water versus moving waters that the steel-head folks fish in. Most of the two handed casting information is specific to casting in moving water. So, adapting the casting to still water is one thing you've got to sort out. Obviously, an overhead cast will work, but there are other options.

I spent last year learning to cast two handed rods and this year's plan was spend some time on Texoma experimenting with them. If the tops of the boat ramps ever resurface that is still the plan...

You should be able to reach 85 feet with your setup. Keep in the mind that casting a two handed rod is different than a single handed rod and that the lower hand should be in control and it is really the hand that is doing the casting.

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Any Skagit Casters on here? [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #11005282 07/28/15 04:14 PM
B
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
B
One thing for sure, when you force it, the cast sucks. One thing I have to learn....wanting distance my brain says cast harder...not the case here, from what I have experienced and read.

I hope to hear more about your feedback from your ventures Rex!!

Re: Any Skagit Casters on here? [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #11005331 07/28/15 04:33 PM
B
BoPro Offline
Angler
Angler
B
I've toyed around with my 11'6 Spey rod on Texoma a few times. Bass_Bustin is right, don't force the casts. Seemed like my best casts were when I wasn't trying as much, have only been hitting about 60 ft or so with a 425 gr head. I used my 3wt switch rod with a 250 gr head at Beavers Bend quite a few times, and its a hoot. I can actually cast the 3wt further and with less effort.

Re: Any Skagit Casters on here? [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #11006018 07/28/15 09:12 PM
M
Meadowlark Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
Originally Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan
It is very unorthodox, but I am hearing there is an "underground" movement of guys taking this rod to the next level(both fresh and salt).....

I still am not getting the 85-125' you hear about. I bet I just need more practice or guidance. smile

Yes, sure looks like a movement to me. There's some California folks who won't fish any other way. You can get that distance...if I can get it, anyone can.

I like the distance and like the less effort...but I'm not convinced it is a "stealthy" way to go. They make too much noise ripping the line through the water and waving those long rods...and I "proved" conclusively recently that a single handed rod will catch better fish in certain conditions where stealth is required.....but interestingly, guys in the movement don't care about that, its all about the casting.

Re: Any Skagit Casters on here? [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #11009485 07/30/15 02:31 PM
B
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
B
Some striper fisherman actually swish their rods in the water to simulate schooling fish. Just food for thought! smile

I have done it for bass when they school goes down and bait fish disperses.

BUT yes, some bodies of water you need stealth. My pond days are over....No Trespassing signs are too common now. I'm usually fishing a big body of water with wind and waves. smile

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide