i started learning cat fishing. so far no luck. but it's still fun and relaxing. seems to me, i think some parks offers some good bank access. and good people here will pm you some spots they know as well. i really wanted to give robertson park a shot, but that place is closed for the construction. i may give a try lavon someday.. probably some park with bank access.. If you read alot from the past posts, you can get some better ideas.
1) always fish wind blown your direction.
2) carolina rig with 3+ oz weight
3) night time
4) many gears..
5) fresh bait. live bait for flatties
6) spring/fall are the best time if you are just beginner
7) take tips from the pros here.
8) now go fishing and expect to get skunked a few times.
9) when the temperature goes down, you are READY!