Forums59
Topics1,039,162
Posts13,960,194
Members144,192
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Here's for all you Go-Fast Bassers!!! [Re: JacksonBean] #10999365 07/25/15 03:01 AM
O
ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50) Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
O
Originally Posted By: JacksonBean
Originally Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)
Originally Posted By: bluesea112
....it is hard on outboards not to run them wide open.

Remind me NOT to buy your used boat. Yikes.
Actually that isn't really an untrue statement so much......having built a few racing engines for cars and studying engine building for most of my life it is actually the loading and unloading of an engine that does most of the damage. Putting an outboard under extreme load for long periods of time; ergo a slow planning boat, is what does the damage. Running an engine at its recommended peak rpm has a lot less stress on the internal components because once an engine is operating at this level it is only using a small percentage of its horsepower to maintain forward motion of the boat. If an outboard has a failure at high rpm it usually due to another problem like fuel system issues, cooling system issues, or just general wear and tear from years of use..........In short when buying a boat one of the things you should look at is if it appears to be over propped..........

Running a 4 stroke motor at anything less than WOT is "hard on them"? C'mon now.

Not to derail the thread on the beautiful boat but we aren't talking two strokes here. When you drive home today, drop your truck into first and see if you can hit 60 on the freeway all the way home. Rapid engine wear will be the least of your worries. wink
That's simple enough to answer your truck engine isn't designed to run high rpms.........racing and outboard engines are.........If you ran a pickup engine at the operating rpm's of the aforementioned platforms you'd over heat it real quick........

Last edited by ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50); 07/25/15 03:06 AM.

2012 ZX200 Skeeter
2012 Yamaha 200 SHO

Isaiah 40:31 "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.
Proud student of the Pro Staffer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzwF72B2F2w&t=14s
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Here's for all you Go-Fast Bassers!!! [Re: Ken A.] #10999417 07/25/15 03:18 AM
90 5.0 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
That's a big big boat, you guys are getting a little worked up about speed. It won't be that fast.
It will be fast for a Giant boat, but not by fast bassboat standards.

Hang that beast on a stroker and then I might get worried.

Re: Here's for all you Go-Fast Bassers!!! [Re: JacksonBean] #10999493 07/25/15 03:52 AM
A
Andrew Y'Barbo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
Originally Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)
Originally Posted By: bluesea112
....it is hard on outboards not to run them wide open.

Remind me NOT to buy your used boat. Yikes.
Actually that isn't really an untrue statement so much......having built a few racing engines for cars and studying engine building for most of my life it is actually the loading and unloading of an engine that does most of the damage. Putting an outboard under extreme load for long periods of time; ergo a slow planning boat, is what does the damage. Running an engine at its recommended peak rpm has a lot less stress on the internal components because once an engine is operating at this level it is only using a small percentage of its horsepower to maintain forward motion of the boat. If an outboard has a failure at high rpm it usually due to another problem like fuel system issues, cooling system issues, or just general wear and tear from years of use..........In short when buying a boat one of the things you should look at is if it appears to be over propped..........

Running a 4 stroke motor at anything less than WOT is "hard on them"? C'mon now.

Not to derail the thread on the beautiful boat but we aren't talking two strokes here. When you drive home today, drop your truck into first and see if you can hit 60 on the freeway all the way home. Rapid engine wear will be the least of your worries. wink

You are also comparing horizontal to vertical engines. However I am not a fan of forced induction for reliability. I do wonder what kind of boost is maintained at 6grand.

Re: Here's for all you Go-Fast Bassers!!! [Re: Ken A.] #10999762 07/25/15 12:34 PM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Just so I'm clear as to the absurdity of this argument.... You're saying that when you're running your motor at 3/4 throttle you are riding around accepting the fact that you are damaging it? Have you heard of friction and heat? Let me go grab my owners manual for my Yammy 300 and look for that paragraph because fishing trips with me are about to get a lot more scary.

Use common sense here..... There's absolutely nothing wrong with operating your motor within its designed operating range at let's say, 3/4 throttle.

[Linked Image]
Re: Here's for all you Go-Fast Bassers!!! [Re: JacksonBean] #10999929 07/25/15 02:44 PM
A
Andrew Y'Barbo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
Just so I'm clear as to the absurdity of this argument.... You're saying that when you're running your motor at 3/4 throttle you are riding around accepting the fact that you are damaging it? Have you heard of friction and heat? Let me go grab my owners manual for my Yammy 300 and look for that paragraph because fishing trips with me are about to get a lot more scary.

Use common sense here..... There's absolutely nothing wrong with operating your motor within its designed operating range at let's say, 3/4 throttle.

Here is a head scratcher 6k rpms really isn't max throttle tho..... stir

Re: Here's for all you Go-Fast Bassers!!! [Re: Ken A.] #11000093 07/25/15 05:06 PM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I realize your position is getting harder to defend. On my Merc 2.5 with an upgraded A6 ECU we wrote my fuel curve where it didn't dump fuel until 10 K. And while that's fun racing people across the lake it keeps the motor too lean around 4 K where many of us operate running from hole to hole on a typical day of fishing. I also increased the stock porting and increased the fuel pressure from 30 to 60 psi. so the motor was still within it's range at 9K revolutions.

All of this doesn't change the fact that operating your motor within it's designed RPM range does not "harm" the motor if it's less than full throttle. Come out to the drag races sometime and talk with the guys that build these race motors for a living. We were just in Mount Pleasant and headed to Marble Falls in a couple of weeks and ask those questions you have about operating at less than WOT. You aren't doing the damage that you think you are.

[Linked Image]
Re: Here's for all you Go-Fast Bassers!!! [Re: Ken A.] #11000110 07/25/15 05:15 PM
F
FMJshooter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
I used to build engines for race cars all the way up to pro mod dragster. An old hand I used to work with once said every short block has a certain amount of revolutions it can turn before something fails (obviously catastrophic events aside such as detonation etc). The more RPM you turn the faster you get to that failure point. Sure lugging a boat around puts alot of drag on it but cruising at 4800 trimmed up nicely is going to give the internals a longer life imo

No mystery that once you can feed an engine past the magic 7k rpm you're lighting the fuse on that short block.

Last edited by FMJshooter; 07/25/15 05:27 PM.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide