texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,881
Posts13,954,751
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Fly Fishing, Bourbon, Cigars #10990381 07/21/15 12:24 PM
L
Lloyd5 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
L
I may cross a politically correct line here, actually I may cross several - but that hasn't stopped me yet so why not?

I like bourbon and cigars with my fly fishing. I don't have to drive home, and when I sometimes do have to drive home, I don't drink. Tried that when I was younger and wound up in a ditch, upside down, throwing up except it all came back down on me. Not a happy memory, nothing I want to repeat. But, when driving or firearms are not involved I am quite happy to sip a bit of good whisky.

The way I drink these days is far different than my younger days. Back then it was slam down as much as I could as fast as I could. I came from a non-drinking family and had no one to teach me better, no one to show me the better way. You young folks listen up, this is advice you should hear. Having finally learned better on my own, now I drink straight bourbon, sipping it. I like the taste of good bourbon, and I like the feeling of just taking the edge off with it. Not getting to the point where I stumble or stutter or slur, nowhere remotely close to that at all. Just a light warm feeling. This appreciation was earned the hard way; it is the way I recommend to drink. If you are younger (between 21 and 62 say) and drink, give it a try this way and I think you'll appreciate it - especially the next morning.

I have a small flask, stainless steel, that fits nicely in my fishing vest. I always carry it there, topping it up at home when necessary. I get a lot of bites by casting out, putting my rod under my arm (standing in waist deep water) and getting both hands involved in getting the flask out and unscrewing the top. It's amazing how the fish watch until I can't readily set the hook and then take off with my fly.

I also like cigars. I like cigars of all kinds, mostly though I like a good dark maduro. They have a rich mild flavor to them. I carry a couple with me, in individual tubes that have screw tops so that they won't get wet. Seems like I get a lot of bites when I get one out to light, with the rod tucked under my arm. On a slow day, when they aren't biting I'll get the flask and a cigar out at the same time - that always gets them biting again. I can puff on a cigar while fishing no problem. Cigars and whisky really compliment each other. Their flavors mingle on the tongue the way coffee and dark chocolate mix on the tongue. Not the same flavor of course, but that kind of complimentary experience.

I know, there will be some who are horrified that I would be so un-politically correct as to suggest that drinking and smoking are not only OK to do, but that I recommend them together. I do recommend them together and also in moderation. Life is short, there are some very fine pleasures that can be enjoyed if your mind is open to the experience, and if you approach them with the proper attitude and skill. Unless you have religious reasons, or have health problems that preclude this - give it a try, enjoy yourself.

As I get older, I enjoy these three activities together more and more. I hope to live long enough that I get too old to go fly fishing anymore, and if I do, you'll find me on the porch in a rocking chair staring at the river through a haze of blue cigar smoke with a flask of bourbon next to me - remembering and enjoying.

Texas State Editor: FishExplorer http://www.fishexplorer.com/tx

http://www.amazon.com/River-Proceeds-Wou...ds=on+the+river

Warm Water Fly Fishing Nut
Re: Fly Fishing, Bourbon, Cigars [Re: Lloyd5] #10990396 07/21/15 12:30 PM
rrhyne56 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Not too many Social Justice Warrior types on here. There may be divergent opinions, but also most here seem to have the ability to grant others their own ways of looking agt life. Had to say that up front because I feel it's both important as well as true.

That being said, yes! Indeed! These are good things to include in any complete fishing trip.

"have fun with this stuff"
in memory of Big Dale
RRhyne56, Flyfishing warden
Re: Fly Fishing, Bourbon, Cigars [Re: Lloyd5] #10990745 07/21/15 02:17 PM
D
DainW Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
I don't think anyone's going to get their panties in a bunch over you drinking a little whisky and smoking a cigar on the river. I'd do it myself, but I have a hard enough time just keeping my line untangled and my fly in the water. There's no need for me to start trying to distract myself even further.

Truth be told, I like to enjoy the occasional left handed cigarette before I hit the water, but I've found that my reaction time is slowed significantly and it usually takes me about an hour so before any of my hook sets start connecting, so I just save it for afterward now.

Now that might get some panties in a bunch.

Re: Fly Fishing, Bourbon, Cigars [Re: Lloyd5] #10990788 07/21/15 02:31 PM
L
Lloyd5 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
L
Not mine - I grew up in the 60's...I just don't remember them.

Re: Fly Fishing, Bourbon, Cigars [Re: Lloyd5] #10991113 07/21/15 04:38 PM
M
Meadowlark Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
M
Sorry, but I fail to see the relevance of this topic to fly fishing.

I could care less what you drink, smoke, or whatever other personal habits you wish to recommend to fellow fly anglers...and certainly do not frequent fly fishing forums to read that. offtopic

You are also the poster who ridiculed Alaska as a fly fishing venue. Complete fail.

If personal habits are what folks want to read about on this forum...then clearly I'm in the wrong place. bolt

Re: Fly Fishing, Bourbon, Cigars [Re: Lloyd5] #10991196 07/21/15 05:07 PM
L
Lloyd5 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
L
Well sir, if you are a moderator that's one thing - if you aren't then your inability to see the relevance is perhaps irrelevant. But I do thank you kindly for your opinion anyway.

Re: Fly Fishing, Bourbon, Cigars [Re: Lloyd5] #10992162 07/21/15 11:18 PM
W
winchester44 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
Got a great picture of my brother and I just prior to him joining the Marines.
We are up near Ten Sleep WY and are toasting our first cut throat of the trip
from what I recall I have a Stogie and he's taking a nip from the flask. (likely
Jim Beam,that was the really good stuff for us in college) Need to find that and will post.

On a recent float trip in Gunnison, I kept my emergency rum ration (Sailor Jerry)
in a small flask in my PFD just in case there was need to "splice the mainbrace".

You are in good company sir.

Last edited by winchester44; 07/21/15 11:18 PM.
Re: Fly Fishing, Bourbon, Cigars [Re: Lloyd5] #10993448 07/22/15 04:32 PM
T
txmark1959 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
You are absolutely in good company sir.

Tight lines to you....and all that makes a trip to the river worth wild!

Mark Cooper
Onalaska Texas
Re: Fly Fishing, Bourbon, Cigars [Re: Lloyd5] #10993739 07/22/15 06:54 PM
J
Jim Ford Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Nothing wrong with his post; if you don't like it don't read it. People who truly enjoy angling enjoy more things about it than just the fishcatching; it's about the company (or the lack of it); the environment; the sights, smells, and tastes; and anything else that contributes to one's enjoyment of the experience. It's personal........ For Lloyd his sippin' whiskey and his stogies are part of the enchanting experience. Many of us can relate to that. The rest of us should respect that.

Re: Fly Fishing, Bourbon, Cigars [Re: Lloyd5] #10993800 07/22/15 07:14 PM
R
Robert Hunter Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Didn't want to take any glass on the river but I may have had a Gatorade bottle with some crown black going down the Gunnison this last week. After a hard day of paddling and hiking a little sip of crown sitting at camp watching the sunset and our camp pet mule deer was really nice

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/bsQJFvLj/
Re: Fly Fishing, Bourbon, Cigars [Re: Lloyd5] #10993871 07/22/15 07:49 PM
C
Capt. Mac Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C

And there is a stainless flask ( George Dickle ) in the left breast pocket of my fly vest. Carry on Lloyd.

[Linked Image]
Re: Fly Fishing, Bourbon, Cigars [Re: Lloyd5] #10994034 07/22/15 08:58 PM
Z
Zip-ur-Fly Offline
Angler
Angler
Z
Sans the alcohol...that could be a picture of me. Keep the rod in one hand the line in the other and the cigar in your teeth and fish away.

Holder of Texas State & Lake Fly Rod Records.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." Attributed to Thomas Jefferson.

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." Confucius
Re: Fly Fishing, Bourbon, Cigars [Re: Lloyd5] #10994384 07/22/15 11:37 PM
F
FWBanger Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
For me it's coke zero and sunflower seeds. Not very sophisticated but neither am I popcorn2

Re: Fly Fishing, Bourbon, Cigars [Re: Lloyd5] #10994752 07/23/15 02:10 AM
F
formula462 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
I could fly with you sir

Re: Fly Fishing, Bourbon, Cigars [Re: Lloyd5] #10995198 07/23/15 11:24 AM
L
Lloyd5 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
L
And a good tequila goes well with a cigar too. I like the taste of tequila. I drink it just like I do bourbon - neat and at room temperature.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide