Print Thread
Building A Rod #10892207 06/03/15 02:44 PM
M
Mumbles Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
M
Looking at building a casting rod for bay fishing from mudhole.com anybody have pros/cons about some of their products? I am looking at some of their 6'-7' clearance rods for a starter and then possibly moving up. Anybody deal with them or have any suggestions on parts and products that they have experience with from them.

Re: Building A Rod [Re: Mumbles] #10902562 06/08/15 01:40 PM
T
TroutSupport.com Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I've heard good things about them. I haven't had time to build a rod in a long long time.

for a starter blank any IM7 or IM8 in Medium with a fast action. Rated 1/8th to 5/8th will be a good all around rod.

For a higher end rod, look toward the IM10 or HM (High modulus) 45 or HM60 type graphite ratings in the same spec blanks.

I'm not a big fan of super small micro guides if you use a line to leader knot. I've really like my new Lews Fishing Custom rod it's HM45 blank and has a smaller guide without going all the way to the micro series. cuts down the weight while still giving you versatility to use leader knots.

Micro guides are ok, just not for line to leader knot guys.
have fun, it's great catching stuff on something you build.

110% Money Back Guarantee -Tons of Testimonials!

Speckled Trout/Redfish Instruction & DVD's - FREE Preview

Like us on Facebook
Re: Building A Rod [Re: Mumbles] #10903138 06/08/15 05:12 PM
G
Grinder55 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Quote:
... have fun, it's great catching stuff on something you build.

X2 on that statement, ... it's also cool when your buds catch fish on something you built as well !!!

Re: Building A Rod [Re: Mumbles] #10904237 06/09/15 12:45 AM
J
Jig Man Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
RainShadow from batson is also a good blank for the money... And good people to buy from.

Life is Good..<><

Re: Building A Rod [Re: Mumbles] #10904727 06/09/15 04:30 AM
F
FreeFall Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
try acidrod.com as well. They have some different options.

When Hell Freezes Over I'm Going Ice Fishing

www.mtpocketstackle.com
www.facebook.com/MtPocketsTackleCompany
Re: Building A Rod [Re: Mumbles] #10904960 06/09/15 12:47 PM
C
CTCR Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Also Try.....Lance Dupre...Swampland....Great Service..!!

ML... flag

Cross Timbers Custom Fishing Rods...( On Facebook)
Weatherford,Texas
Re: Building A Rod [Re: Mumbles] #10904998 06/09/15 01:07 PM
G
GBNathan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Mudhole has some good stuff, but their shipping costs can be outrageous. I've had good luck with GetBitOutdoors as well and horrible luck with acidrod. If this is your first rod I wouldn't go crazy with high quality parts and would suggest going with one of their cheap kits to start. I've seen too many times where first timers botch the epoxy process and just make a mess of things. Different epoxies have different temperaments and it never hurts to have a test run before committing to $300 worth of quality parts.

Re: Building A Rod [Re: Mumbles] #10906188 06/09/15 08:41 PM
M
Mumbles Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
M
Thanks for all the good info, I will have to look some of the other places up and see. I was looking at one of their starter kits and just a typical starter rod blank that they have for the first one where if something was to happen and I mess it up I am not out of to much. Any specific brand that somebody has had good experience with? I saw some that I will look into in previous messages so time to do some research. I will probably get the kit from mudhole but looking at swampland they are a little more reasonable on prices and models.

Re: Building A Rod [Re: Mumbles] #10907858 06/10/15 01:19 PM
P
Pferox Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
When you start to feel more comfortable with building I agree that Baston is the place to go to, they are great to deal with.

Duct tape is like the Force, it has a Dark Side, A Light Side, and holds the Universe together. Carl Zwanzig
www.mtpocketstackle.com
www.facebook.com/MtPocketsTackleCompany
Re: Building A Rod [Re: Mumbles] #10982936 07/17/15 02:22 PM
C
Connor S Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Mudhole has a great selection of blanks, including their MXH line of blanks. The MHX line is my favorite to build over any blank out there unless you get into the really high dollar blanks. Baston Rainshadow blanks are great(good Christian owners)as well as the American Tackle Co Matrix line for medium priced high modulus blanks. The major downside to Mudhole is their shipping costs for non wholesale customers and their customer service is lacking.

I prefer GetBitOutdoors,(good Christian owners) the customer service is phenomenal, better prices than Mudhole and lower shipping costs. I get everything from GetBit if I can. They also carry a better line of components being an ALPS dealer, which Mudhole is not. The major downside is they don't carry the MHX line. But they do carry Rainshadow blanks which Mudhole doesn't. So it's a give and take between both.

GetBit has their own line of blanks for a great price (30-40 dollar range), they are better than the CRB line by Mudhole. These blanks make awesome rods. I think it would be a great rod to do your first build on, then once you get say 5-10 rods under your belt and you get the learning curve out of the way you can step up to really good blanks and really nice stuff. I'd suggest getting a kit for your first one so you have all the correct components (it can be a little confusing ordering the correct sizes at first), and if you buy a kit from either site it usually comes with an instructional DVD. Or you can order a few of the sale blanks on GetBit that are in the 10-20 dollar range just to learn and practice on. These are quality blanks as well, so don't be scared of the low price. Feel free to reach out to me with any questions you may have, I build custom rods as part of my living. And I enjoy teaching others this craft! Swampland Tackle is another good supplier as well, I don't use them but have heard nothing but good things.

Components go Fuji to start out with, then you can step into your ALPS and REC components. Alconite guides are awesome, super performance at a super price. I prefer their KR guide spacing system for best performance.

Flex Coat products for epoxy hands down.

GetBit has awesome cork split grip handle kits for next to nothing on sale right now.

Big thumps and Tight lines!

I say we fish 5 days a week and work 2.
Re: Building A Rod [Re: TroutSupport.com] #10982980 07/17/15 02:37 PM
C
Connor S Offline
Angler
Angler
C
There is no such thing as a IM10 blank for fishing. The graphite would be so brittle at 100 million ton modulus that it would shatter an offshore rod setting the hook on a bluegill. It's just a marketing ploy from rod companies because there are no set "standards" on what IM means. You have to look at the modulus rating. 60 million ton graphite (actually carbon fiber, but it is coined as graphite)is the highest modulus rating there is in the world right now. MHX Hi-Mod is at 57 million tons I believe the GLoomis NRX is around 59, not sure about the St. Croix SCV but it is right there. If there were any standards on what IM was, the highest modulus rod in the world right now would be an IM6.

Big THUMPS and Tight Lines!

I say we fish 5 days a week and work 2.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide