Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
$$$ #10979960 07/16/15 04:04 AM
Mike Ryan Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
As I think back to my first days of fishing, I associate some of my best memories with the simplicity of fishing with cane poles and using live bait. And on those trips of long ago, we often enjoyed the same or at times better results than my newer equipment accomplishes.

Having the newest boats or fishing gear is great, there is absolutely no shame in being able to afford the latest and greatest boat, electronics, rods and reels and the array of artificial lures that meet almost any species under any circumstances. And there is no question that having the right equipment will more often than not better ensure a successful trip of catching fish.
I had the benefit of knowing that fishing could be enjoyed with the simplest of equipment and a minimum of cost. Do kids today know you can still enjoy fishing without the cost of todays high cost gear or has the price of todays equipment kept families from even taking up the sport?

Re: $$$ [Re: Mike Ryan] #10979991 07/16/15 05:19 AM
R
Ricky Taylor Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Yep, no doubt. Me and my brother are visiting my dads here in Galveston, and we have been so fed up with this salt water fishing that yesterday we took the trout rod and an old Abu Garcia 5600c and had a bag of Senkos we found in the garage and we went to the nearest fresh water pond we could find and on the 3rd cast my brother rips out his personal best (8lbs) and on the next cast jacks a 5lber. It wasn't a cane pole moment but we were using low quality gear and we were very limited on bait. Back home sits a nice Ranger, with a nice Evinrude, and all the plastics and hard baits you could want, and he ends up catching his PB on a simple setup in a muddy pond.
I'll post pics soon.

But I do think the price of equipment has kept many of the folks interested in fishing out of getting into it, BUT...
There are still some quality low end budget combos that some people can buy and experience the sport semi-equally and if they do fall in love they will want to spend the extra $'s to further increase their pleasure in fishing. This sport has hooked me, and my wallet!

Re: $$$ [Re: Ricky Taylor] #10980001 07/16/15 05:55 AM
Mike Ryan Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
[quote=Ricky Taylor]Yep, no doubt. Me and my brother are visiting my dads here in Galveston, and we have been so fed up with this salt water fishing that yesterday we took the trout rod and an old Abu Garcia 5600c and had a bag of Senkos we found in the garage and we went to the nearest fresh water pond we could find and on the 3rd cast my brother rips out his personal best (8lbs) and on the next cast jacks a 5lber. It wasn't a cane pole moment but we were using low quality gear and we were very limited on bait. Back home sits a nice Ranger, with a nice Evinrude, and all the plastics and hard baits you could want, and he ends up catching his PB on a simple setup in a muddy pond.
I'll post pics soon.

Mr. Taylor
Great example, great story too. I work with some adolescents and fishing is an approved outdoor experience for them to be introduced to the outdoors and learn new skills. They are beyond the Snoopy Pole age and I want them to enjoy the sport that brings me so much pleasure. But I am finding it hard to ask a parent or guardian to spend what for them may well be money needed for more day to day living than a pleasurable pastime.
I think I may be part of the problem and not the solution. Somewhere along the way I have bought into the marketing of the fishing industry that quality fishing requires name brand equipment. I just cant help but think as mom and dad walk down the fishing isles at their local sporting stores they quickly turn a blinds eye to fishing as a consideration to take up as a family as soon as they turn a price tag over on the rods and reels most visibly displayed.

I have forgotten the Golden Rule of fishing, that catching fish while fishing is great, getting to go fishing is priceless.

Last edited by Mike Ryan; 07/16/15 06:04 AM.
Re: $$$ [Re: Mike Ryan] #10980019 07/16/15 07:54 AM
M
Muddman Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
M
Well I'm getting all high-tech, I'm upgrading from a canoe to a square back canoe with a 3.5 hp outboard and a trolling motor. A cane pole can still be good for reaching back under overhanging tree branches, using either a top water plug or plastic worm.

Re: $$$ [Re: Mike Ryan] #10981852 07/16/15 11:37 PM
timbertoes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
ha, I hated cane poles. even as a kid I liked flashy fishing rods and reels !

Re: $$$ [Re: Mike Ryan] #10981858 07/16/15 11:39 PM
S
spacejunkie Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
S
Teach them how to noodle and the cost goes way down.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide