Forums59
Topics1,040,052
Posts13,974,856
Members144,227
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: A&M takes Carhartt College Series, Bensema shooting for Classic [Re: ETXsabre] #10980594 07/16/15 03:10 PM
RO519 Online Shocked
TFF Celebrity
Online Shocked
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: ETXsabre
I'm a Baylor grad so I don't really worry about how or where the Aggie club gets their money. My question is who decided to have a championship where 2 fish for 3 pounds 10 ounces wins the whole thing. What a snoozer...

BASS did. They have a knack for picking "awesome" places for the college tournaments. While I was still in school they sent us to the Ouachita River in Monroe LA. Worst tournament I almost fished. The river was out of it banks and there were massive floaters coming down the river in all the current. I say almost fished because my lower unit came apart in practice, didn't hit any floaters or anything, so I got to pack it up and drive home. Weights were pathetic. I wasn't the only college angler to tear something up that weekend...

Fightin' Texas Aggie '14

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: A&M takes Carhartt College Series, Bensema shooting for Classic [Re: RO519] #10980609 07/16/15 03:14 PM
shotgunwilly Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I'm all for fishing places that are safe, i.e. don't have floaters coming down a river. But I don't understand why people don't like tough tournaments. I like the challenge.

Re: A&M takes Carhartt College Series, Bensema shooting for Classic [Re: Alex Finch] #10981267 07/16/15 07:31 PM
T
Thinwater skinner Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Alex Finch
I'm going to be on board for this. I wonder if The Association could manage a restricted fund (meaning donations are directed to the club only) and then release the funds on specified dates?

I think you are missing the boat. Make the check out to the Aggie Bass Club (Student Organization) and send to the treasure of the club. Nuf Said... Money is deposited into their student account and they have to vote on how to spend the money... Easy as pie... But if you want a tax donation letter, then you will have to send to Texas A&M and the club will be out of the loop and how to spend the money... Come on guys... Support the club and forget the tax write off...

Re: A&M takes Carhartt College Series, Bensema shooting for Classic [Re: Thinwater skinner] #10981540 07/16/15 09:00 PM
JacksonBean Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Thinwater skinner
I'm going to be on board for this. I wonder if The Association could manage a restricted fund (meaning donations are directed to the club only) and then release the funds on specified dates?

I think you are missing the boat. Make the check out to the Aggie Bass Club (Student Organization) and send to the treasure of the club. Nuf Said... Money is deposited into their student account and they have to vote on how to spend the money... Easy as pie... But if you want a tax donation letter, then you will have to send to Texas A&M and the club will be out of the loop and how to spend the money... Come on guys... Support the club and forget the tax write off...

What are you talking about? Alex, along with the rest of us former students, are trying to explore avenues to get some support to the guys on their own dime. I think you are missing the boat. If I'm giving $100, I'll give it straight to Aggie Anglers. If I giving a grand or two, you better believe I'm exploring ways to keep our government from taking a chunk. "Nuf Said..."

Please keep the ideas coming.... We already have some goodies being put together for the lads.

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 1996

[Linked Image]
Re: A&M takes Carhartt College Series, Bensema shooting for Classic [Re: Alex Finch] #10981542 07/16/15 09:00 PM
Alex Finch Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Thinwater skinner

Thanks for the advice. I'm not missing anything. I spent 5 years in college fishing clubs. I have a pretty good idea of how things work. Most clubs have a tax id number, so you can donate to them directly, IF you are concerned with a tax write-off. I don't have enough deducts for charitable donations to make any difference when it comes time to pay the Uncle. Not that my tax business or how I spend my money is anyone's concern.

The point of my initial post, you know this one:

thumb Proud to say I was an Aggie Angler during my days at A&M. I wish our University would step up and provide some financial support for the guys on the fishing team. A lot of these guys spend their own money to have a chance to compete and represent the University. A few schools offer scholarships to the kids on their fishing teams. I'll be watching as much and as often as possible tomorrow to see if he earns the berth. All of the kids that have won the bracket have ended up going Pro and most have been successful (Jordan Lee, Andrew Upshaw, Matt Lee??, Pruett seems to be doing well in the Opens), so maybe we'll see Bensema do the same...

Was to highlight that THE UNIVERSITY they represent does nothing to help them,

Online Orders: www.finchnastybaitco.com
E-mail Orders: finchnastybaitco@gmail.com

Finch Nasty Bait Co. is now an Authorized Retailer of Keitech Fat Swing Impact swimbaits! We offer select sizes and colors that match our line of Thumpers (bladed swim jigs) and universal swim jigs.
Re: A&M takes Carhartt College Series, Bensema shooting for Classic [Re: pYr8] #10987360 07/19/15 11:31 PM
P
pYr8 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
P
I talked with Josh today at the SCBC meeting. It looks like y'all are right about the funding. The university didn't pitch in but a little towards the A&M logo on the jerseys, if I understand correctly. I'll be talking more extensively with Josh after he makes some inquiries on this subject.

Making checks directly payable to the club should keep the money where the anglers can use it. Their account was dented pretty good this go around and the anglers came out of pocket quite a bit as well.

Policy changes at A&M would be slow at best, non-existent at worst. As long as they have NCAA teams, that's where the focus (and $$) will be. Though, maybe if enough noise were made, they could at least provide a celebration ceremony for the Aggie Anglers when they bring the trophy home wink

I'll keep posting as I get info.

Thanks
Karl

Re: A&M takes Carhartt College Series, Bensema shooting for Classic [Re: pYr8] #10987880 07/20/15 03:23 AM
B
Brennan Fertig Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
Originally Posted By: pYr8
I talked with Josh today at the SCBC meeting. It looks like y'all are right about the funding. The university didn't pitch in but a little towards the A&M logo on the jerseys, if I understand correctly. I'll be talking more extensively with Josh after he makes some inquiries on this subject.

Making checks directly payable to the club should keep the money where the anglers can use it. Their account was dented pretty good this go around and the anglers came out of pocket quite a bit as well.

Policy changes at A&M would be slow at best, non-existent at worst. As long as they have NCAA teams, that's where the focus (and $$) will be. Though, maybe if enough noise were made, they could at least provide a celebration ceremony for the Aggie Anglers when they bring the trophy home wink

I'll keep posting as I get info.

Thanks
Karl

Sorry about not responding quicker, I've been out of state for the past few days. I'll try to answer a few of the questions here.
We are in no way financially supported by the university. We pay our own way for all the tournaments, big or small. This year we have started trying to raise funds by talking to some Aggie business owners. We are making headway, but it is a slow process. Hopefully we will have more luck since Josh and Matt represented the university so well at nationals.
We can accept donations to the club. Checks just have to be made out to Aggie Anglers. We have a university bank account that everything goes through and we manage.

Thank ya'll for bringing more attention to this. That alone helps us out with getting recognition. Feel free to pm me with any more questions.

Re: A&M takes Carhartt College Series, Bensema shooting for Classic [Re: pYr8] #10987930 07/20/15 03:51 AM
C
ColoradoAg Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Brennan it would be cool if there was a spring and fall fundraiser tournament, or maybe do something like Lamar (I think it was them) did and maybe have a small fundraising tournament trail. I would definitely bring the boat down for it.

Re: A&M takes Carhartt College Series, Bensema shooting for Classic [Re: pYr8] #10987965 07/20/15 04:21 AM
P
pYr8 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
P
Thanks for the input Brennan! On our end, we'll do what we can for y'all. There's some reach to manufacturers & media outlets we can work to the best of our ability. We work many websites and we'll see if we can push some hits through them as well as social media.

Keep up the good work & we'll do what we can...

Karl

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide