Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,037,804
Posts13,934,747
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Patience isnt a virtue anymore? What say you TFF navy? #10968914 07/10/15 08:51 PM
C
CubbyObrien Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
C
Was sitting in my squad yesterday and came across an incident that started me thinking about our patience as anglers. I have seen some insane, almost mental to the point of madness patience in my Grandfather and other anglers out there. Some of us fish the same spot for hours knowing there is nothing but moss and tadpoles in the water, yet we persist. I have seen myself as a father willingly loose XD crankbait after another to teach my daughter how to fish them with only joy in my heart. I personally have spent hours deciphering the network of cables in the hull of my boat just to install a single ducer and was in a state of calm and peace that only a angler could understand! angel

Yet I observed a young angler attempting to back his new boat into his driveway and totally loose his mind, i have been there. I should have recorder it but I felt so bad for him although it was funny to watch. He had just bought the boat used and couldnt get the dual axel trailer to line up for the turn. He tried for about 20 minutes, yelling at everyone but himself and was about to hit his breaking point. The mailbox and a flower pot were the only casualties. I pulled up and asked if he needed some help and he had the look of someone about to jump of a bridge. You see he had a single axel trailer before and had never backed a trailer like this (allot longer than his old boat). He was adamant about his manhood! taz Lol but conceded defeat. Rather than do it for him I asked him to follow me the food market around the corner and I tossed out a few cones. I told him what my grandfather told me many years ago, be patient and take your time and who gives a [censored] if you have to do it twice. He would tell me Its fishing son, relax and have fun or find another hobby. He seemed to understand and after a few dead cones, he had it! I left and latter saw him washing the new boat in his driveway parked perfectly.

So i ask, why are we so patient with a rod and rell yet littl ethings cause us to loose our mind? bang

I know for me, fishing makes me a better person at all levels.

This just really made me think about what upsets me and how the little things really dont matter and if we all practiced a bit more patience in life, like we do trying to catch that bedded bass, we would be in such a better place.

Go home at the end of your shift, no matter the cost!
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Patience isnt a virtue anymore? What say you TFF navy? [Re: CubbyObrien] #10968935 07/10/15 09:07 PM
B
BassSAT Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Great point...!

Been there, done that..!

Re: Patience isnt a virtue anymore? What say you TFF navy? [Re: CubbyObrien] #10968946 07/10/15 09:16 PM
capt grumpy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
You hit the nail on the head, this is why I go to the lake to forget all of the things that drive me nuts. I can get to the lake and forget the world problems. Now try to convince my grown kids of that, the little stuff dont matter.

Re: Patience isnt a virtue anymore? What say you TFF navy? [Re: CubbyObrien] #10969019 07/10/15 09:50 PM
M. Alexander Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
If I didn't fish, I'd spontaneously combust. Lord help me, I can be very short tempered & short on patience in many other aspects of my life. I'm just wound pretty tight, but there's something about fishing that takes the edge off.

Mark
Re: Patience isnt a virtue anymore? What say you TFF navy? [Re: CubbyObrien] #10969637 07/11/15 03:21 AM
C
CubbyObrien Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
C
Glad im not the only one! lol banana

Re: Patience isnt a virtue anymore? What say you TFF navy? [Re: CubbyObrien] #10969643 07/11/15 03:26 AM
B
BThomas Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
Your a good man !!

You could earn a fortune at the lakes this summer, teaching people how to backup a trailer.

Re: Patience isnt a virtue anymore? What say you TFF navy? [Re: CubbyObrien] #10969698 07/11/15 03:56 AM
lamoon78 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Well said

Re: Patience isnt a virtue anymore? What say you TFF navy? [Re: CubbyObrien] #10969916 07/11/15 01:20 PM
B
Big Kev Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I have a theory about that, before you think "what is this nut talking about" please read all the way thru (be patient). I blame the microwave and the remote control as to why people have little to no patience these days. At 37 years old I still remember having a box TV in the living room (push button with a record player on top) and a black and white TV in the bed room (bunny ears and turn knob). We did not have a microwave and had to cook our food in the oven or the stove and we had to sit thru commercials. God forbid some one talked during an interesting part of a show, no rewind, or you had to go to the bathroom (that is what the commercials were for). But now I have large flat screen TV's in every room and a DVR to match. I do not watch live TV anymore because the 2 minutes and 2 seconds is to long to wait for the show to come back on. If some thing was not recorded then I just hit up the video on demand or find it on the internet (usually u-tube) and watch it because I cant wait until it comes back on to record and fast forward thru the commercials. If I need to use the bathroom or get some thing to eat I just pause the show and go do it. Other than boxed food I usually only use the oven or stove to "actually" cook two or three times a year (takes to long), except the BBQ pit. On the pit I like to slow smoke things but now I can just hit up HEB or Brookshire for something fully cooked. My point is this, the more modern convinces we have the more instant gratification becomes a daily part of our lives (like the spell check I keep using). The more instant gratification is part of our lives the less patients we have. If I go for more than a week or two with out being on the water it usually takes me half a day to get past the frustrations of things not happening right now. But when I get past it everything is right in the world. The biggest thing I try to teach my three year old is to be patient. With all of the modern convinces in the world now, it is easy to get caught up in the "I want it know!!!" attitude and get frustrated when things do not go exactly how you want them to and then just give up. The kids coming up right now have it the worst and its only going to get worst. Thank god for bass fishing other wise I would be a much worst basket case...... Just my 2 cents.

Re: Patience isnt a virtue anymore? What say you TFF navy? [Re: CubbyObrien] #10969947 07/11/15 01:45 PM
R
Rube G. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Good post.

Re: Patience isnt a virtue anymore? What say you TFF navy? [Re: CubbyObrien] #10970178 07/11/15 03:39 PM
C
CrankBait1007 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
That was a good thing you did Cubby...hats of to you for being a fellow angler! thumb

[img] [/img]
Sometimes I wish i never picked that rod up!
Re: Patience isnt a virtue anymore? What say you TFF navy? [Re: CubbyObrien] #10970229 07/11/15 04:13 PM
F
Frank the Tank Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
thumb

Jesus loves all of us
Re: Patience isnt a virtue anymore? What say you TFF navy? [Re: CubbyObrien] #10971143 07/12/15 02:57 AM
C
CubbyObrien Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
C
Well said big kev

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide