Print Thread
FG Knot #10965235 07/09/15 11:14 AM
B
Brad R Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Comparing junction knots as I see it: Alberto/Albrights are a wrap over two lines, then a wrap over the wrap (value = 4), a Uni-to-Uni is a wrap over two lines, then two such knots slammed into each other horizontally for no extra thickness (but longer) (value = 3), and an FG knot where two lines are more or less spiraled together for a value = 2.

I am just counting layers that add to knot width.

So, when I discovered the FG had superior strength, and being a knot nerd, I had to learn to tie it. Two really good video sources recommended tying it where one holds the braid coming off a rod leaning away form the one tying it for some light tension. From there, the cross over and weaving are done. I did it, loved the resulting knot, hated the technique.

So, here is an Aussie angler using what I think is a highly superior way to learn the FG knot. He uses wraps of the braid around one hand to form a triangle where tension is then created by spreading the index finger and the thumb. It leaves, as most good knot techniques should, a finger, in this case the middle finger, to manipulate and grab the leader line as it is being knotted on the braid.

Well, for anyone who ties multiple knots, the learning curve is about a half dozen tries or so. What I would do is wait until you are ready to re-spool a reel, then practice on the old line before you take it off.

Observations: What I have found is that even though I really like the other two knots, and they are more than strong enough for almost all possible circumstances, they usually can be felt going through the tip guide, just a bit anyway. With an FG knot, the result is incredibly narrow and it eliminates most or all of this. Just looking at the knot visually, it appears to be no wider than the larger of the two lines being joined.

A really cool knot. Breakage? My first and only anecdote came the other evening at Marine Creek. I got hung up apparently at the hook. I assume this because my drop shot weight should have come loose on a breaking pull, but it didn't give away first, the line was snapped off and I lost the hook and the sinker. My set up was 10 lbs. Sufix 832 to an 8' or so leader of 8 lbs. Seaguar Invsx fluorocarbon. The FG junction knot between the two lines held up fine in this instance.

Stronger than the others in testing, while also being narrower. How often are we able to add to one aspect of something without sacrificing another?

Here is the video I would recommend to best learn to tie the knot.

Best FG knot tutorial

Brad

Last edited by Brad R; 07/09/15 11:17 AM. Reason: oops
Re: FG Knot [Re: Brad R] #11057332 08/22/15 06:21 PM
S
SamCollins123 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Cool man

Previous Thread
Index