texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,030
TexDawg 119,792
Bigbob_FTW 95,334
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,356
Mark Perry 72,490
Derek 🐝 68,322
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,919
Posts13,955,360
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Slots/other new regs? Beating a dead horse here....but why not [Re: Blues] #10955766 07/03/15 08:44 PM
B
BrianTx01 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Back in fall I was catching lots of skinny slots on Lewisville. Some of them probably would have been harvested if it wasn't for the slot limit because most of them where more than 10 to 12#. Hopefully they will fatten up soon.

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2001
Proud UNT Alumni
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Slots/other new regs? Beating a dead horse here....but why not [Re: Knot Normal] #10956243 07/04/15 04:09 AM
B
Bittercreek Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Knot Normal
Personally I think more research should be done before the gooberment imposes more nanny state rules. If the fish numbers are not dwindling, leave it alone.

I agree.

Re: Slots/other new regs? Beating a dead horse here....but why not [Re: Blues] #10956264 07/04/15 04:26 AM
B
Bittercreek Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Folks have been Catching, keeping. Releasing, small-Big Cats for years.
I, myself. Have been in the boat. For over 44 years. Seen it all.
I cannot remember. How many Blues over 30lbs. I cannot attempt;
to remember how many yellows. Over 50 lbs. I have seen caught, cleaned and
used for a good Community Fish-Fry.
Family-Reunions, Church Socials.
All caught, with Fellowship, Stewardship of the Land, and resources.
Involved.
In my time. Of 44 years. In a boat. Have also, seen lots of. Big Cats-
Released.
To each his own.
To begin placing, voices of Individual Desires. Upon the TPWD.
Will only turn. The State of Texas; Lakes Rivers and Streams. Into- another Polital-Agenda. For those with Money, and personal interest. At the
core of their Forum.
Mother-nature, along with commen sense. Will manage our Catfish.
God-Bless.

Re: Slots/other new regs? Beating a dead horse here....but why not [Re: Blues] #10959826 07/06/15 07:09 PM
B
BankAngler50 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
TPWD has a lot more catfish info than you think. For example, when brood catfish grow large they do MAINTENANCE FEEDING, i.e. feeding just enough food so the brood catfish don't loose weight, but they don't grow any larger. They also know that blue catfish can eat a third of their body weight and can grow a third of their body length in one winter. Hence they know catfish growth rates are directly in proportion to the availability of food in the lake.

They should know that in slot and one over limits lakes like RC and LL, soon or later fish population will just keep multiply but don't grow bigger...

A 10lbs female blue catfish can lay more than 20k of eggs per season, so if a lake has 100 10lbs females, 50 20lb females, 25 40lb females, 20 50lbs females, that's 8 million eggs per season... FISH WILL NOT HAVE ENOUGH FOOD TO EAT SO THEY STOP GROWING,... POPULATION WILL ALSO PLATEAU OUT AT SOME POINT BECAUSE THE HUNGRY CATFISH WILL CANIBALIZE ON EGGS AND FINGERLING and even fully grown blue catfish. Population will decline until it bottom out at some point before it grows back up again. The cycle will keep repeating itself... What a waist of lake resources and taxes money.

There won't be enough fishermen to catch the small catfish because in an overpopulate catfish lake they will waste a lot of times weeding through the small skinny fish as well as the slot fish... that gets old quickly... as if going through the yellow bass is not enough already. lmao

Last edited by Bankfisher50; 07/06/15 07:30 PM.

Why do I go fishing? To catch a box of fish and/or some quality time under the sun. Thank Heaven I never fail fishing in Texas, catching box fish or plenty of sunburn.
Re: Slots/other new regs? Beating a dead horse here....but why not [Re: Blues] #10959880 07/06/15 07:31 PM
tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
And what percentage of that amount of eggs will survive?? Don't think we really have to worry about over population. If it does I am sure the regs will be modified just like on other lakes in effect right now. Another thing to take into account is this isn't your granddaddys type of fishing!!! As the popularity of blue cats gains there are a whole lot more people fishing for them than twenty plus years ago. Also there will still be people keeping what they want, just as they are right now on Lewisville even though there is a slot. Of course we will also lose a certain percentage due to stress and people who don't know how to properly care for a fish that is going to be released. That's where education instead of bickering will help our fisheries!!!
Take a kid fishing!!!!

I live with Fear everyday but sometimes she lets me go fishin
Lewisvillecatfish.com

PB 65#
www.lewisvillecatfish.com
Facebook.com/Tom Gravley
www.youtube.com/gravleybrats
Re: Slots/other new regs? Beating a dead horse here....but why not [Re: Blues] #10959918 07/06/15 07:45 PM
B
big10 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Well said Tom. Even with the slot on Waco im curious how many fish 30-45" get harvested each year because people don't know or don't care. Im sure there is a lot that don't know Waco is a slot. Only place to see that it is if you look at the fine print in the book, and I know there is a lot of people that don't do that. I know its the fisherman's responsibility to know all the laws but I don't think a few signs around the ramps would hurt anything.

Last edited by big10; 07/06/15 07:48 PM.

Jerry Dillard
Re: Slots/other new regs? Beating a dead horse here....but why not [Re: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish] #10959968 07/06/15 08:16 PM
B
BankAngler50 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
I will believe your preaching about slot a lot more if slotted lakes can support more guide businesses, because that is one measure of a good quality trophy fishery, big catfish fishery.

Most people who want to harvest catfish go to non slot lakes, they dont like to go to slotted lakes because they don't want to waste their times and baits on yellow bass and slot fish.

I personally like to eat Twok catfish, Twok catfish grow at faster rates which means they're bigger fatter and have less time to accumulate mercury and or other heavy metals. I would not eat LL catfish, so anglers like me won't fish LL.

Why do I go fishing? To catch a box of fish and/or some quality time under the sun. Thank Heaven I never fail fishing in Texas, catching box fish or plenty of sunburn.
Re: Slots/other new regs? Beating a dead horse here....but why not [Re: Blues] #10959984 07/06/15 08:24 PM
B
BankAngler50 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
If millions of eggs are laid by slot catfish, those big catfish will defend their eggs more successful than the smaller cats, so millions of those eggs will survive to overpopulate the lake. Like I said earlier, the over population of will canibalize on their own eggs and fingerling and bring population down, the cycle repeats every few years. It's a waste of Lake resources and taxes money.

Re: Slots/other new regs? Beating a dead horse here....but why not [Re: Blues] #10959989 07/06/15 08:26 PM
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
You started the thread asking questions and now your saying I am preaching. Twok is the catfish capital of Texas with more fish per acre than most anywhere else so it's a pretty easy lake to catch fish. Poor little ol Lewisville ain't ever even been stocked officially as far as I know. Please keep on fishing Twok so there is less traffic over here!!!! Lol

Lewisvillecatfish.com

PB 65#
Facebook.com/Tom Gravley
Re: Slots/other new regs? Beating a dead horse here....but why not [Re: tgravley aka lewisvillecatfish] #10960025 07/06/15 08:51 PM
B
BankAngler50 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Lol, and you keep fishing LL, so less traffic at old Twok, haha... just kidding.

True that I asked those 3 Qs, but don't you see there is a pattern, lol. What I am trying to say is slot is actually works against guiding interest and thus it is a lose - lose proposition. If I were a guide I would focus on blue catfish growth rates, and looks for regs to close loophole that allows abuses such as harvesting a boat full of 25+lb catfish. At the same time keep a healthy flow of harvest rates to maintain faster growth rates in lake like Twok.

A good combination of quality fish fillet and trophy hunting is good bissness, I would be looking for 2-3 fish over 34" 25 bag limits. Less crowded better fishing means bigger fish, hence 34" is better fish in the lake than the 30"

Re: Slots/other new regs? Beating a dead horse here....but why not [Re: Blues] #10960032 07/06/15 08:57 PM
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
We will see what the new regs are shortly. I wouldn't be opposed with a one fish per day over 30" etc. I will trust our biologists on what is the best course as long as the politicians stay out of it instead of what they did with noodling without any biologists input

Lewisvillecatfish.com

PB 65#
Facebook.com/Tom Gravley
Re: Slots/other new regs? Beating a dead horse here....but why not [Re: BankAngler50] #10960048 07/06/15 09:06 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Bankfisher50
TPWD has a lot more catfish info than you think. For example, when brood catfish grow large they do MAINTENANCE FEEDING, i.e. feeding just enough food so the brood catfish don't loose weight, but they don't grow any larger. They also know that blue catfish can eat a third of their body weight and can grow a third of their body length in one winter. Hence they know catfish growth rates are directly in proportion to the availability of food in the lake.

They should know that in slot and one over limits lakes like RC and LL, soon or later fish population will just keep multiply but don't grow bigger...

A 10lbs female blue catfish can lay more than 20k of eggs per season, so if a lake has 100 10lbs females, 50 20lb females, 25 40lb females, 20 50lbs females, that's 8 million eggs per season... FISH WILL NOT HAVE ENOUGH FOOD TO EAT SO THEY STOP GROWING,... POPULATION WILL ALSO PLATEAU OUT AT SOME POINT BECAUSE THE HUNGRY CATFISH WILL CANIBALIZE ON EGGS AND FINGERLING and even fully grown blue catfish. Population will decline until it bottom out at some point before it grows back up again. The cycle will keep repeating itself... What a waist of lake resources and taxes money.

There won't be enough fishermen to catch the small catfish because in an overpopulate catfish lake they will waste a lot of times weeding through the small skinny fish as well as the slot fish... that gets old quickly... as if going through the yellow bass is not enough already. lmao

Bull! Fayette is a perfect example of you being WRONG! The catfish population in Lake Fayette averages about 8 to 10 pounds now. So if your theory was correct we should be catching hundreds no, millions of small fish. But there are no small fish even though the adults spawn just fine. But there are very few that survive due to over population of bass. And that comes from the biologists.
Go back to the bank, let TP&W be the biologists.

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Re: Slots/other new regs? Beating a dead horse here....but why not [Re: ChuChu1] #10960066 07/06/15 09:20 PM
B
BankAngler50 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Is it a slot lake?

Re: Slots/other new regs? Beating a dead horse here....but why not [Re: Blues] #10960091 07/06/15 09:30 PM
C
Cat finder Offline
Angler
Angler
C
fish

If the fish don't bite your not baiting right...
Re: Slots/other new regs? Beating a dead horse here....but why not [Re: Blues] #10960118 07/06/15 09:42 PM
B
Blues Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
I'm not on board with the size of catfish going hand and hand with how much food they have. I know of several lakes that are completely loaded with bait and produce average size blues at best.

I drive the wrong direction to get bait at one lake then turn around and go to another lake to fish. I've done it for years now. There are blues in both lakes, one bait is easy all year even from the bank. I'm talking one throw with a net maybe two and you have a gallon bag full of big gizzards. The lake I fish you'll throw for an hour or two and might get enough hooker size gizzards and threads to fish. The records are 30+ lbs different on flats and blues. Had several days with multiple fish over 20lbs and up to 65 on the lake with less bait. The lake loaded with bait kicks out some over 20 every now and then.

Yes I understand environment, water conditions, and genetics play a role, but just saying pumping food into them will make giants isn't correct. There's more to it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide