Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ruidoso Plans #10952326 07/02/15 01:44 AM
FireFarmer Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
My wife and I have been invite to tag along with my in-laws to Ruidoso, I was wandering if anybody has any fishing advice or any ideas if there's any good places to fish up that way. I've only been in the winter time to ski, never for summertime festivities. On that same note, I'd love to hear ideas of what else is going on up that way this time of year.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by FisherWoehl; 07/02/15 01:44 AM.

It’s better to be seen than viewed

May GOD Bless you in everything you do!

Tight lines!
Re: Ruidoso Plans [Re: FireFarmer] #10952418 07/02/15 02:30 AM
F
Fishing Fester Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Grindstone lake is good for trout. Pink marshmallow with corn on light tackle. Never taken my yak there with me, but Inn of the Mountain God's lake is one beautiful place. Trout is good there I hear as well. Bass tackle never worked for me, had to take my crappie gear. Horse races are going on till september, so there's always that.

Last edited by Fishing Fester; 07/02/15 02:31 AM.

Re: Ruidoso Plans [Re: FireFarmer] #10953311 07/02/15 04:36 PM
P
PayneFish Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
P
fly fish the cedar creek near city hall, grindstone and several others that are good in that area. lots of water. also a couple of fly shops that have lots of info. match the hatch or throw a small roostertail.

Last edited by PayneFish; 07/02/15 04:39 PM.
Re: Ruidoso Plans [Re: FireFarmer] #10953830 07/02/15 08:14 PM
K
karpbuster Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
This time of year the oxygen level starts to decrease with hot temps in smaller, shallower lakes the fishing is just slow. The trout are more interested in breathing than eating, but rivers/streams can be good. Inn of the Mtn Gods has a private lake with aerators might be better.

Just nice to be in Mtns.

"Love is something more stern and splendid than mere kindness."

"All that we call human history--money, poverty, ambition, war, prostitution, classes, empires, slavery--[is] the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy." � C.S. Lewis

C.S. Lewis
Re: Ruidoso Plans [Re: Fishing Fester] #10955138 07/03/15 02:06 PM
G
GoldSpoonr Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Originally Posted By: Fishing Fester
Grindstone lake is good for trout. Pink marshmallow with corn on light tackle. Never taken my yak there with me, but Inn of the Mountain God's lake is one beautiful place. Trout is good there I hear as well. Bass tackle never worked for me, had to take my crappie gear. Horse races are going on till september, so there's always that.

Last I heard Grindstone was Super low...

If you feel like a riot
Then dont you deny it
Put your good foot forward
Re: Ruidoso Plans [Re: FireFarmer] #10955154 07/03/15 02:15 PM
Reeladdict15 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Awesome!

Re: Ruidoso Plans [Re: FireFarmer] #10958799 07/06/15 04:41 AM
-
-Clay- Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
-
Grindstone was stocked with smallmouth bass last year...

Re: Ruidoso Plans [Re: FireFarmer] #10966477 07/09/15 08:00 PM
H
hvtexskeeter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
heading up to cloud croft mew mexico tomorrow! glad to get outta the heat even though it hasnt been triple digits yet. Fished grindstone last year from the bank and caught a limit of rainbows. I heard the lake was real low and the fishing and shore access was very tough this year. Any pointers on any where else in that area to go fishing? Havent heard much about inn of the mountain gods lake. they do offer fishing for like $18 a day.

Re: Ruidoso Plans [Re: hvtexskeeter] #10966737 07/09/15 09:13 PM
K
karpbuster Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Originally Posted By: hvtexskeeter
heading up to cloud croft mew mexico tomorrow! glad to get outta the heat even though it hasnt been triple digits yet. Fished grindstone last year from the bank and caught a limit of rainbows. I heard the lake was real low and the fishing and shore access was very tough this year. Any pointers on any where else in that area to go fishing? Havent heard much about inn of the mountain gods lake. they do offer fishing for like $18 a day.

Nice enough without the natural shoreline at the Inn of the Mtn Gods, go to the far right. The afternoon rain is on and water is up, with the temps cooling off and fresh water it will get better. I love to fish mountain lakes but this time of year in New Mexico can be tough, streams and rivers are a good alternative. You know right when that storm passes thru on a lake you can get bit big time, everyone leaves because of the storm but that is the best time. But be careful.

"All that we call human history--money, poverty, ambition, war, prostitution, classes, empires, slavery--[is] the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy." � C.S. Lewis

C.S. Lewis
Re: Ruidoso Plans [Re: FireFarmer] #10966743 07/09/15 09:14 PM
FireFarmer Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
We were in Ruidoso for the 4th weekend and mosied our way towards Cloudcroft on the way home. It rained the whole time we were there, didn't get to fish much but all the bodies of water that I saw were navigable, at least by my standards. Sorry I couldn't give you a fishing report.

It’s better to be seen than viewed

May GOD Bless you in everything you do!

Tight lines!
Re: Ruidoso Plans [Re: karpbuster] #10966927 07/09/15 10:31 PM
H
hvtexskeeter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
karpbuster, sounds like i will be giving the lake at in of the mountain gods a shot. you said go to the right side of the lake. what lures or baits were working? I used power bait eggs under a adjusta bubble bobber at grindstone to get the bait out by the feeders. we will be fishing from shore more than likely. also what rivers and streams are in that area that have trout? I heard something about the Ruidoso river. Thanks in advance!

Re: Ruidoso Plans [Re: hvtexskeeter] #10968731 07/10/15 07:23 PM
K
karpbuster Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Originally Posted By: hvtexskeeter
karpbuster, sounds like i will be giving the lake at in of the mountain gods a shot. you said go to the right side of the lake. what lures or baits were working? I used power bait eggs under a adjusta bubble bobber at grindstone to get the bait out by the feeders. we will be fishing from shore more than likely. also what rivers and streams are in that area that have trout? I heard something about the Ruidoso river. Thanks in advance!

To the right is some deeper water at Inn of the Mtn Gods. I like to get the second rod validation and fish with a pistol pete (olive), rooter tail spinner, panther martin, small spoons on one rod and the other rod fish off the bottom with power bait, salmon eggs, worms - see what is working. We have had a lot of rain lately and Fenton lake is now fishing great with improved ph levels, so you might try the closer lakes too, Bonito is closed I heard.

Small spinners and jigs work in the streams as do the baits mentioned ... use this to plan out the spots to fish, I always find stream fishing the best ... but more work walking the stream bank:

Ruidoso area

C.S. Lewis
Re: Ruidoso Plans [Re: karpbuster] #10968744 07/10/15 07:27 PM
K
karpbuster Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Latest report, this is for the previous week which is true, but things should be looking up, I would fish Inn of Mtn Gods for lake fishing:

Southeast

Bataan Lake: Fishing was slow but there were a few catfish caught by anglers using night crawlers.

Black River: Stream flow at Malaga on Monday was 25 cfs. Fishing was slow for all species.

Blue Hole Park Pond: Fishing was good using liver, hot dogs and night crawlers for catfish. We had no reports on other species.

Bonito Lake: Closed.

Bosque Redondo: Fishing was fair using liver and homemade dough bait for catfish.

Bottomless Lakes: We had no reports from anglers this week.

Brantley Lake: Anglers are to practice catch-and-release for all fish here as high levels of DDT were found in several fish. We had no reports from anglers this week.

Carlsbad Municipal Lake: We had no reports from anglers this week.

Chaparral Park Lake: Fishing was good using liver, blood baits, hot dogs and night crawlers for catfish.

El Rito Creek: Fishing was fair to good using worms and salmon eggs for trout.

Eunice Lake: Fishing was slow to fair using worms and liver for catfish.

Green Meadow Lake: Fishing was fair to good using liver and worms for catfish.

Greene Acres Lake: Fishing was good using chicken liver and night crawlers for catfish. We had no reports on other species.

Grindstone Reservoir: Fishing was slow for all species. Cody Wells and three others fished here for 4 hours Sunday and had no success. They saw a few small trout caught along with one small smallmouth bass that was returned to the lake. He also reported low water and steep banks which made water access a bit difficult.

Jal Lake: Fishing was fair to good using beef liver and chicken liver for catfish.

Lake Van: Fishing was slow to fair using night crawlers, blood baits and homemade dough bait for catfish.

Oasis Park Lake: Fishing was very good using homemade dough baits and blood baits for channel catfish. We had no reports on other species. Anglers are reminded that there is a two fish limit on the catfish and a New Mexico fishing license in required to fish here.

Pecos River: Stream flow below Sumner Lake as of Monday morning was 98 cfs. Fishing was fair to good using liver and cut bait for catfish. We had no reports on other species.

Perch Lake: Fishing was fair using night crawlers and hot dogs for catfish. We had no reports on other species.

Ruidoso River: Stream flow at Hollywood on Monday was 18 cfs. Fishing was fair using salmon eggs for trout.

C.S. Lewis
Re: Ruidoso Plans [Re: FireFarmer] #10969370 07/11/15 12:50 AM
BuffaloBrian Offline
Angler
Angler
I realize this is a worthless post, but had to say that I love Ruidoso; have had some good times camping, gambling, and snow skiing there. No watercraft on Bonito I think; worth visiting for the scenery; was there over 10 years ago a few times. I've always wanted to walk creeks there for trout. Please post a report!

Re: Ruidoso Plans [Re: BuffaloBrian] #10970952 07/12/15 01:09 AM
W
weklfrog Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
Bonito used to be good lake. Beautiful and good trout fishing from the bank. The lake has been closed since 2012 after the Little Bear fire that devastated that area around the lake and filled it with at least 40 feet of silt and ash.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide