Catching a Break #10950249 07/01/15 02:34 AM
A
Aggroman Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
A
Kind of a long post, but hey, if you're bored at work, here ya go. grin

I had come to terms with the fact I wasnt going to get out fishing for a while. Its already been two weeks and I figured it would be a few more. But around 8pm last night, a few things changed. I was released from prior obligations and suddenly my busy day off became my day off. My mind started racing with ideas. I knew I was going to have to hurry with whatever I did. Main problem is my piece of junk truck isnt running right now, so were down to one vehicle. In all fairness, if you take out the transmission and engine, its a great truck. smile So the plan was made to head to the river after I dropped off my wife at work.

I gathered together my gear, and had everything ready to go. I went outside to get the kayak trailer hooked up and.lightning.thunder.the smell of rain. In my haste and excitement, I had forgot to check the weather for the coming day. Uh-oh. Its 9:30pm and im almost completely ready for the morning. And then the rains came down. Feeling a bit defeated, I slowly put away my gear, all the while trying real hard not to say any discouraging remarks about this precious rain we are always praying for. So it rained. And it rained. And it rained. 2-3 inches in some places. I came to the conclusion it wasnt meant to be.

This morning I woke up and slowly got myself together. I checked the weather, and came to an abrupt realization. The storm that blew through last night, did just thatblew through. Sun was out, and no wind. But at this point I have less than twenty minutes to get everything together before we have to leave the house. It took about 2.7 seconds to make the decision. Im going fishin!

Remarkably, I was able to get everything ready. The trailer hooked up, the kayak strapped on, and my gear thrown in before my wife said, we need to leave, I dont want to be late!

I knew I only had a few hours to fish, and the river is 20 miles away. So I spedum, I mean, I hurried to the river. My only thoughts were, how much rain did they get down there, and what if the river is up? There were a wide range of amounts reported. Anywhere from a half an inch all the way to 4 inches. I crossed my fingers, kept the pedal to the floor and hoped for the best.

My drop in was free of debris and people, but noticed the water was up a few inches. That can be good for less dragging. The water was slightly murky, but I could see bait fish, so I knew it would be just fine.

It was amazing that once I pushed off from the bank, all the stress seemed to go away. It was like I needed to be out there.

I knew I was short on time, but I wanted to enjoy it while I had the chance. For me, the fishing is only a small part of why im out here. Catching fish is awesome, but so is just being in the middle of nowhere. No phones, no internet, no people. Just me and the river. I enjoy challenging myself to, not only be creative, but come back with something that I will always remember. Im a photographer before anything else, so sometimes I spend more time looking for shots than looking for fish.

Thats not to say im not a hardcore fisherman. I definitely am. I just have to find a balance in the things im passionate about. And that balance usually varies on the day.

This morning I was able to find a middle ground. The fishing was great. I managed 7 fish total. 4 bass and 3 sunfish on the fly. Definitely not bad for a little over 2 hours on the river. Also caught 2 of my personal best . A four foot wide oak stump, and a metal fence that somehow tied my line into what looked to be a complete surgeons knot. Rather impressive on back to back casts. smile

I guess the rains brought everything out and about. The spiders were out like mad. The birds were singing, and the river was alive with action everywhere you looked. Even had a tag-along for a little bit.

Here was an interesting log I came across. It looked like a helping hand. Although my first thought was, where was that helping hand when I stepped in that hole a while back and messed up my back?

Soon I was getting that pressed for time feeling, so I turned back and started to head for the car. It was a great time and I left there feeling refreshed and a little less stressed. I was able to get some decent photos, some decent fish, and some decent piece of mind.

Thanks for coming along,

Scott

Re: Catching a Break [Re: Aggroman] #10950451 07/01/15 04:51 AM
Duck_Hunter Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Great pictures and great story. Looks very peaceful. I'm jealous. Haven't been able to get out more than once this year.

[Linked Image]
Re: Catching a Break [Re: Aggroman] #10950457 07/01/15 05:16 AM
H
HERROUTDOORS Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
Great pics and story. I don't get out that often but cherish the times I do. I felt every emotion there, thanks for sharing.

Re: Catching a Break [Re: Aggroman] #10950569 07/01/15 11:51 AM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Nice story and pictures!

Don't know why it is, but seems like the better trips are always when you are pressed for time.

Just one more cast!

Re: Catching a Break [Re: Aggroman] #10950762 07/01/15 01:38 PM
S
Shanelunker Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
S
Great write up....where was this at?

Shane Hunter
Re: Catching a Break [Re: Aggroman] #10950801 07/01/15 01:53 PM
A
Anchorman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
I enjoy posts like this. It's great to know you have the ability to release all that don't matter and take in what does. Sometimes anglers get caught up in trying to keep up and too worried about what everyone else is doing and how they are doing it. If everyone would just slow down every now and then like you and take in what the good Lord has given us to enjoy they would enjoy their outings much more. Photography is a great way to open the eyes. Watch, look, and listen is what I was taught and what I teach my boys.

Thanks for the great story and taking us along. Glad you had a nice stress relieving day.

If it ain't yours don't mess with it!
Need a friendly place to talk hunting? www.talkhunting.com

Re: Catching a Break [Re: Aggroman] #10950808 07/01/15 01:57 PM
timbertoes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
enjoyed the post smile

Re: Catching a Break [Re: Aggroman] #10950958 07/01/15 02:48 PM
A
Aggroman Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
A
Thanks guys, appreciate it.

Shane, this was the Concho River south of San Angelo.

Re: Catching a Break [Re: Aggroman] #10951129 07/01/15 04:07 PM
H
HeavyLead Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
H
Beautiful scenery! With all that clear water I knew it couldn't have been anywhere close around here!

Re: Catching a Break [Re: Aggroman] #10951316 07/01/15 05:28 PM
P
Patriot7Six Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
P
Originally Posted By: Aggroman

For me, the fishing is only a small part of why im out here. Catching fish is awesome, but so is just being in the middle of nowhere. No phones, no internet, no people. Just me and the river.

I can totally relate with this statement. Thanks for posting I enjoyed it...ohh and grats on those PBs lol

Fight the good fight - 1 Tim. 6:12 flag
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide