853726 Topics
11196596 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Topic Options
#10950273 - 06/30/15 09:48 PM Not a Ledge Fisherman Yet
Pilothawk Online   sad
Super Freak

Loc: Kentucky Lake

I'm not having great luck on the ledges. I did find a bay in TN that has grass mats in the back of the bay. Fished those today. Bass are chasing shad all over back there. I caught four today only one would have weighed. Caught them on a pearl white zoom fluke. Tried swimming it and caught a couple. Tried just twitching it in areas where fish were active. Even whacky rigged one weightless and caught the largest fish on it.

What ideas might you folks have for how to target the bass back there. Water depth runs from 70 feet just outside the cove, rises rapidly to 24, then gradually to around five feet where the grass bed is.

Thanks for any help you might have to share.
KANSAS JAYHAWK BASKETBALL - Where tradition comes from
52 Conf Champs /5 Nat'l Champs

#10950304 - 06/30/15 10:02 PM Re: Not a Ledge Fisherman Yet [Re: Pilothawk]
RangerBass21 Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Plano
Action baits, swim bait, Arigs, crankbait, starts getting hotter as the sun gets up, tye on a heavy Carolina rig and move out deeper and work through the grass if it's deep, big bass catcher.

#10950456 - 07/01/15 12:13 AM Re: Not a Ledge Fisherman Yet [Re: Pilothawk]
Donald Harper Online   happy
TFF Guru

Loc: Justin, TX.
This will help you get that huge fish you have been looking for. Nothing will beat it. It works everywhere, shallow mat but best on the deepest grass you can find. You got to keep going until you find that sweet spot, pitch out the marker and circle it looking for others because they will be grouped up under the hollow.
If the wind is blowing you can get in there on the upwind side; put the trolling motor up and big motor up and walk the boat across the mat by rocking the boat from side to side.
In the heat of the day they are burred up in the grass.

Rig a heavy drop shot rig:
5.0 heavy super line hook. Tied on 50# braid. Use a Palomar knot. Leave the tag end at 5 inches long. Tie a 1 oz. weight to the tag end. I just tie a knot in the end of the tag, then use a overhand slip knot to attach the weight. It doesn't take much to keep it on. When I am fishing grass and hardwoods and it gets hung on the wood I can pull it off and come out with the hook and fish. You understand that the hook is about 4 to 5 inches above the weight, so the tails of the bait will hang down and cover the weight.
Use a Gene Lawrue Hoo Daddy Jr. in Watermelon Neon.
It will drop in the grass and come out of the grass with no hang-ups.
Fish vertical to 20% in front of the boat. Directly over the bait is best on the deepest grass. Drop it in slowly and soft so it is traveling slowly when it touches the bottom. The Bass hate anything sneaking in on them. Hold it there with a tight line for about 5 seconds without any movement. They don't want it bouncing up and down. This gives them time to swim through the hollow under the grass and nail the bait.
Vertical presentation and moving along the outer edge of the grass line, making pitches out in front of the boat so by the time it gets to the bottom you are directly over the bait for the hook set.

Your big bass will also be out on the river channel ledges in 15 ft. of water. Find the shell beds next to the channel and throw the big crank baits. Do lots of driving and looking on the DS.. It want take you long to learn what they look like.
Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success. - Booking Mexico Trips
Shallow Water Mapping - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

© 1998-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide