facebook
Forum Stats
102735 Members
61 Forums
859354 Topics
11274045 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Topic Options
#10941948 - 06/26/15 01:02 PM San Antonio area Lakes - Medina, Calaveras, Victor Braunig, and Canyon
Chuck N. Wind Offline
Angler

Loc: Celina, TX
My wife has a CLE conference at the Hyatt Hill Country Resort and Spa in San Antonio in about a week and a half. It lasts about a week. I'm going with her, and was considering taking the boat down there with us so I could check out some of these lakes during the day while she is in class. I'm wondering if it will be worth it. I know Medina rose about 60 ft in the past month, and as I understand it the ramps are usable now, but fish populations are low. I don't really know anything about these lakes at all. Any and all information you're willing to share would be greatly appreciated and will help me decide if I should take the boat with us. Black bass is the preferred target.
Thank you.

Edited by Chuck N. Wind (06/26/15 03:36 PM)
Edit Reason: title modification

#10942009 - 06/26/15 01:35 PM Re: Lakes - Medina, Calaveras, Victor Braunig, and Canyon [Re: Chuck N. Wind]
Chris G Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Frisco, TX
From what I heard, Canyon is still very high and there are only a few ramps open. I'm not sure on Calaveras or Braunig since I've never gone bass fishing there, only chased reds from time to time (which is a blast). If it were me, I would make the extra time and drive out to Fayette County depending on how much time you will have during the days. It's probably 100-120 miles from the Hyatt but the fishing is awesome.

#10942041 - 06/26/15 01:54 PM Re: Lakes - Medina, Calaveras, Victor Braunig, and Canyon [Re: Chuck N. Wind]
Chuck N. Wind Offline
Angler

Loc: Celina, TX
Ooohhh, Reds sound fun. I'll look into Fayette also. Thanks.
Keep it coming guys.

#10942060 - 06/26/15 02:07 PM Re: Lakes - Medina, Calaveras, Victor Braunig, and Canyon [Re: Chuck N. Wind]
BrudBass Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Buda, Texas
Look into Dunlap in New Braunfels, which is close to San Antonio.

If you are willing to drive, look into Walter E Long (Decker) in Austin and Lake Bastrop in... Bastrop. Can't go wrong with Fayette as previously suggested.

EMAIL:Texas Realtor - Ultima Real Estate

Kistler Rods

#10942064 - 06/26/15 02:10 PM Re: Lakes - Medina, Calaveras, Victor Braunig, and Canyon [Re: Chuck N. Wind]
BassSAT Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: San Antonio, Texas
Coleto Creek Lake had been productive lately...

#10942103 - 06/26/15 02:25 PM Re: Lakes - Medina, Calaveras, Victor Braunig, and Canyon [Re: Chuck N. Wind]
Debra Hengst Offline
Extreme Angler

Originally Posted By: Chuck N. Wind
My wife has a CLE conference at the Hyatt Hill Country Resort and Spa in San Antonio in about a week and a half. It lasts about a week. I'm going with her, and was considering taking the boat down there with us so I could check out some of these lakes during the day while she is in class. I'm wondering if it will be worth it. I know Medina rose about 60 ft in the past month, and as I understand it the ramps are usable now, but fish populations are low. I don't really know anything about these lakes at all. Any and all information you're willing to share would be greatly appreciated and will help me decide if I should take the boat with us. Black bass is the preferred target.
Thank you.

Early welcome to our beautiful River City and the Alamo. cool

Suggestion, you might want to check with Hyatt Resort first on parking accommodations if you haven't. They are limited on parking space, especially during summer time and that boat might cost you $25 nightly to park it in one of their other lots.

Medina - Closest since you are on the west side of town, ramps are usable, lake level just shy of 13 ft low, as far as catching rethink that, boating/site seeing yes
Canyon - Furthest over hour away - Water still high, ramps not open but could be when you visit, check with the Corps on status.
Braunig and Calaveras - heavy freshwater redfish population some blacks in the reeds if they decide to bite.

Debra smile

I'm on Facebook and Twitter too !!
https://www.facebook.com/DebraHengst.Angler

#10942452 - 06/26/15 05:09 PM Re: Lakes - Medina, Calaveras, Victor Braunig, and Canyon [Re: Chuck N. Wind]
basspromaster Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Stephenville, TX
I'd look into 777 ranch in hondo. You can do a full day with one night lodging for 300 all meals included. ( dinner is pretty darn good!) If you think about the cost it will take u to get the boat down there travel costs to get to the lake ect ect ect you will easily pay 300 and probably won't have as much success as you will at 777. Me and my best friend fished there once and weren't disappointed. We caught 42 lmb including 3 over 8lb and the rest in 2 to 6 range. Best part of my time was our first afternoon where I caught 16 off the same stump.
Politicians, baseball players, high-powered corporate CEO's they all seem to eventually let us down. Nature, however, does not. Look to her for inspiration and you will learn the secrets to living a good life. The most Important lesson it would seem is to make sure you spend as much time fishing as anything else.

#10942484 - 06/26/15 05:28 PM Re: San Antonio area Lakes - Medina, Calaveras, Victor Braunig, and Canyon [Re: Chuck N. Wind]
Rickmb Offline
Pro Angler

Loc: San Antonio
Canyon ramps are opening again. Water levels dropping back quickly now.
Medina - water is up. Plenty of bait fish but its hard to find fish.
Dunlap is fishing great.
There is also Lake Placid in Seguin.
Braunig and Calaveras are mostly Reds and Hybrids. Bass bites are few.

#10942847 - 06/26/15 09:35 PM Re: San Antonio area Lakes - Medina, Calaveras, Victor Braunig, and Canyon [Re: Chuck N. Wind]
Topwater2 Offline
Pro Angler

LBJ- Hour and a half from S.A. - great fishing
Flat Rock, Kerrville- Hour from S.A at best. QUIET!!! Going tomorrow!!!
Canyon- All ramps open
Choke- hour from S.A.- down 20 feet

#10942849 - 06/26/15 09:36 PM Re: San Antonio area Lakes - Medina, Calaveras, Victor Braunig, and Canyon [Re: Chuck N. Wind]
Topwater2 Offline
Pro Angler

Boerne Lake too. TM ONLY.

Edited by FishKen (06/26/15 09:37 PM)

#10943077 - 06/27/15 05:56 AM Re: San Antonio area Lakes - Medina, Calaveras, Victor Braunig, and Canyon [Re: Chuck N. Wind]
bigbass94 Offline
TFF Team Angler

Big fish-Dunlap, LBJ, Placid.
Numbers-Bastrop, Fayette County, LBJ,
You want a challenge with a medium reward-Canyon, Medina
Numbers and big fish-LBJ, Fayette, Bastrop

Honestly I'd go to Dunlap, Fayette, LBJ, or Bastrop with my number one pick being Bastrop. Just because you can catch 2-4lb fish all day.

"That was like watching the birth of Jesus!"-Urban Fisher

© 1998-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide