Print Thread
ned rig... #10932894 06/22/15 04:40 PM
R
RiveraTackleCo. Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
R
I was about to spend some cash on these jig heads to try out http://www.zmanfishing.com/cms/nedrig.html , but i decided to use a wacky rig jig head i build already....is it important to use the proper jig head for this application or will this type of head work as well. I've been using it since these "ned rig" post have been popping up and they have worked great for me. But, being that they are not the same design type i feel that it is not a true ned rig technique. any thoughts on this? thanks.

uno uno seis
www.riveratackle.com
[Linked Image]
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: ned rig... [Re: RiveraTackleCo.] #10932997 06/22/15 05:34 PM
T
txfsh Offline
Angler
Angler
T
I dont know if it is still considered a ned rig or not but it sure looks good. Like you I have been trying the ned rig since everyone has been talking about it and haven't caught a single one so far. I don't know if I'm doing it right or not. I've watched the videos and I think I am but it sure isn't producing like they are claiming. I'm gong to keep trying and maybe I'll get the hang of it. Good luck to you! P.S. Can I get some of those if I ever figure this thing out?

You never want a drink of water till the well runs dry
Re: ned rig... [Re: RiveraTackleCo.] #10933048 06/22/15 05:56 PM
Garvin Offline
Angler
Angler
If you put it in the water and the tail end floats up while the head is sitting on the bottom, I'd say you're close enough to a Ned rig.

txfsh: Keep trying. I have yet to have an outing - either on my boat or bank fishing - where I haven't hung at least one bass (usually more) while using this rig. The retrieve that works the best for me is a simple one: throw it out there ( I use a spinning rig with 10 lb. test fluoro), let it sink to the bottom, then slowwwwwly drag it back using a side-sweeping motion and twitching the rod tip very, very slightly. Pause and let it sit now and then. I use only one color - green pumpkin, so I can't speak for the other colors. I just have confidence in green plastic.

Just ONCE I'd like for someone to call me "Sir" without adding, "please stop making a scene."

"The problem with quotes on the internet is having to ascertain whether or not they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
Re: ned rig... [Re: Garvin] #10933094 06/22/15 06:14 PM
R
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Garvin
If you put it in the water and the tail end floats up while the head is sitting on the bottom, I'd say you're close enough to a Ned rig.

txfsh: Keep trying. I have yet to have an outing - either on my boat or bank fishing - where I haven't hung at least one bass (usually more) while using this rig. The retrieve that works the best for me is a simple one: throw it out there ( I use a spinning rig with 10 lb. test fluoro), let it sink to the bottom, then slowwwwwly drag it back using a side-sweeping motion and twitching the rod tip very, very slightly. Pause and let it sit now and then. I use only one color - green pumpkin, so I can't speak for the other colors. I just have confidence in green plastic.

I agree with this as this is how my success with this technique has been. I use the LFT creature in 4" chart/watermelon. I'll keep at it then using my wacky jig head. I didn't want to spend the cash if unnecessary.
@txfsh...these jig heads are available on my site. Just click on the link on my sig. Thanks all!

uno uno seis
www.riveratackle.com
[Linked Image]
Re: ned rig... [Re: RiveraTackleCo.] #10933108 06/22/15 06:18 PM
R
Rhino68W Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
R
Check out the BassResource YouTube page's video on the Ned Rig. Glenn explains pretty much everything there is to know about it. Including why the specially designed jig-head works best.

Re: ned rig... [Re: RiveraTackleCo.] #10933291 06/22/15 08:09 PM
O
OldCrow Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
O
Agree with txfsh, that rig looks good. Be interesting to compare a true Ned Rig and this as to how each fall and behave on the bottom.

Re: ned rig... [Re: RiveraTackleCo.] #10933555 06/22/15 10:19 PM
galaxy5oo Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
Hey Carlos,

I have been messing with the ned rigs some on some quarry lakes I fish. Clear water where finesse fishing is key. To me the main thing that makes them work well is using the TRDs or similar small worms that float really well with a really light 1/16 or so weight jig head cause them to fall really slow. Then they stand up on the bottom like something feeding (just my thoughts on the appearance to bass and what others I have talked to think). I have had decent luck with it on light gear. I was not a big believer at first, but I have had decent luck using them, and have caught decent size bass compared with senkos, etc. I would say those jig heads would work fine especially if you have some light weight ones. The jig heads designed for the ned rig do work really well because they stand up real easy and don't bobble side ways as easy, but the round kind I have used to and caught fish. I am going to try some with weed guards soon because where I fish I get hung up a lot without the weed guards. So far for me it is a nice alternative fishing method that the bass where I fish have not seen a lot of and it is catching fish for me.

BTW love the rods I got from you.

Re: ned rig... [Re: galaxy5oo] #10933654 06/22/15 11:14 PM
R
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: galaxy5oo
Hey Carlos,

I have been messing with the ned rigs some on some quarry lakes I fish. Clear water where finesse fishing is key. To me the main thing that makes them work well is using the TRDs or similar small worms that float really well with a really light 1/16 or so weight jig head cause them to fall really slow. Then they stand up on the bottom like something feeding (just my thoughts on the appearance to bass and what others I have talked to think). I have had decent luck with it on light gear. I was not a big believer at first, but I have had decent luck using them, and have caught decent size bass compared with senkos, etc. I would say those jig heads would work fine especially if you have some light weight ones. The jig heads designed for the ned rig do work really well because they stand up real easy and don't bobble side ways as easy, but the round kind I have used to and caught fish. I am going to try some with weed guards soon because where I fish I get hung up a lot without the weed guards. So far for me it is a nice alternative fishing method that the bass where I fish have not seen a lot of and it is catching fish for me.

BTW love the rods I got from you.

Thanks! My first try with this type of "Ned" style I hooked up on 2 fish off the bat. Unfortunately it also works on shellcrackers....

uno uno seis
www.riveratackle.com
[Linked Image]
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide