Print Thread
Lake Sam Rayburn Property #10931619 06/21/15 08:07 PM
T
TxStLipRipper Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
My dad is currently looking at buying some land on Rayburn. He's curious as to which part of the lake is best both fishing wise and scenery wise. Any help is appreciated!

Re: Lake Sam Rayburn Property [Re: TxStLipRipper] #10932308 06/22/15 12:25 PM
D
Doctoordan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
I'm not an expert on Rayburn by any means, but here's my 2cents worth
Not sure if this is a weekender or permanent residence.
If permanent or has the potential of becoming retirement location, then you need to focus on proximity to bigger towns with things to do. Always consider medical facilities, that's why the area up around the bridge is so popular, it's closer to Lufkin and Nacadoches. It's also about where the water starts clearing up a little.
The south end around Brookeland has the clearest water but the most recreational boaters. The South end is also only about 20 minutes from Jasper. This gives you access to food, supplies, and doctors but you'll still need to go to Lufkin for a hospital. Closest descent hospital is Beaumont about 1.5 hours away.
The Broadus area is one of the more affordable areas.
As to scenery, get in a boat and ride around. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
One thing a lot of people don't consider if it's a retirement location is access to Internet. It has become a necessity and you don't want to get stuck with the satellite internet (expensive and slow). Most people scoff at considering a lot of these things, that's why they move to the lake and then put it up for sale and move back to civilization within 2 years. They are bored to death!
If it's just a weekend camp you need to consider zoning etc...for any type of camp you may want.
As far as fishing goes, concentrate on the above first then I would suggest anything from mid-lake to South it all depends on your fishing style.you can always run North to the rivers in your boat or trailer an launch your boat up there.
Probably too much info and not the answer you were looking for, but I've been thinking about it a year or so now and my opinion of what I am looking for has developed over time.

Doc

Re: Lake Sam Rayburn Property [Re: TxStLipRipper] #10935039 06/23/15 04:38 PM
H
H-TownCrappieMan Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
Cell phone reception is bad unless you are a Verizon customer. I agree - Brookeland close to Jasper is a bet. But Beaumont is where you go to the Dr. (or Lufkin). Its all beautiful piney woods land with slightly rolling hills. I'm just not sure if I'm ready to give up Houston for the woods yet!

"Follow me and I will make thee a fisher of men!" Bust open my nets LORD!!! because, I am a wishing I was a fishing!!
Re: Lake Sam Rayburn Property [Re: H-TownCrappieMan] #10935423 06/23/15 06:45 PM
K
KingwoodCat Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Originally Posted By: H-TownCrappieMan
Cell phone reception is bad unless you are a Verizon customer. I agree - Brookeland close to Jasper is a bet. But Beaumont is where you go to the Dr. (or Lufkin). Its all beautiful piney woods land with slightly rolling hills. I'm just not sure if I'm ready to give up Houston for the woods yet!

Disagree big time on cell reception. I've owned a place on Rayburn for 12 years and by far the best cell service comes from AT&T. I'm having a building built from an outfit in Marshal TX and they have Verizon. They had to borrow my AT&T phone to call their boss. I personally like the 147 Bridge, Broaddus area. That said, probably the Realtor with the most lake listings is Jeff Buchanan in Zavala. He can certainly help out.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a look at the American Indian".

Henry Ford
Re: Lake Sam Rayburn Property [Re: TxStLipRipper] #10935847 06/23/15 09:45 PM
J
J2H1 Offline
Angler
Angler
J
I have a brother with Verizon and a brother with Sprint. When we go to Rayburn, they use my AT&T phone.

Re: Lake Sam Rayburn Property [Re: TxStLipRipper] #10936480 06/24/15 02:49 AM
Knot Normal Offline
Angler
Angler
Originally Posted By: TxStLipRipper
My dad is currently looking at buying some land on Rayburn. He's curious as to which part of the lake is best both fishing wise and scenery wise. Any help is appreciated!

Something to remember about rayburn, you don't own the waterfront. The Corps does and will remind you of it regularly. just sayin

Randy

I'm in good shape for the shape I'm in!

Re: Lake Sam Rayburn Property [Re: Knot Normal] #10936945 06/24/15 01:42 PM
K
KingwoodCat Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Originally Posted By: Knot Normal
Originally Posted By: TxStLipRipper

Something to remember about rayburn, you don't own the waterfront. The Corps does and will remind you of it regularly. just sayin

Which is why you find no unsightly, ill kept Boat Docks, Boat Houses, or junk in the water. Corps lakes tend to be way more pristine looking. If I'm not mistaken the words by the corps is they own everything to 150ft of mean high water mark. Right now if they considered it mean high water mark, the Corps would own a few houses in my development.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a look at the American Indian".

Henry Ford
Re: Lake Sam Rayburn Property [Re: TxStLipRipper] #10944804 06/28/15 03:52 PM
P
Pearlandtexan Offline
Angler
Angler
P
They have the right to flood to the 179 line, so nothing can be built below that. If you do its at your own risk. Nothing with a bathroom, or people can sleep in at all below that.

Re: Lake Sam Rayburn Property [Re: TxStLipRipper] #10947466 06/29/15 10:40 PM
Knot Normal Offline
Angler
Angler
Folks on Rayburn were told to not even clear brush and mow a walkway to the water. This is not here-say, The corps told these people that they would put a fence up if mowing and clearing brush continued.

Randy

Re: Lake Sam Rayburn Property [Re: Knot Normal] #10952723 07/02/15 11:06 AM
K
KingwoodCat Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Folks on Rayburn were told to not even clear brush and mow a walkway to the water. This is not here-say, The corps told these people that they would put a fence up if mowing and clearing brush continued.

I would a told them to put the fence up...from the water side.....

Henry Ford
Re: Lake Sam Rayburn Property [Re: Knot Normal] #10953366 07/02/15 05:05 PM
K
karpbuster Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K

That is new, I have a mowing permit for 70' around my water line on Corp land. You can take down trees that are 1" in diameter or less or branches off other trees of the same diameter.

"Love is something more stern and splendid than mere kindness."

"All that we call human history--money, poverty, ambition, war, prostitution, classes, empires, slavery--[is] the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy." � C.S. Lewis

C.S. Lewis
Re: Lake Sam Rayburn Property [Re: karpbuster] #10953388 07/02/15 05:15 PM
B
Bunk Moreland Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
Originally Posted By: karpbuster

That is new, I have a mowing permit for 70' around my water line on Corp land. You can take down trees that are 1" in diameter or less or branches off other trees of the same diameter.

I believe you are actually describing the "new" rules. The brush by the water stuff was the SOP for the corps for years, but the last couple years, we were told the same thing about 1" diameter, etc.

That being said, we do what we want. If someone from the corps tries to give us [censored], I'll just point them to the 200 other properties around Rayburn Country and other communities where people manicured their lawn perfectly all the way to the water.

Re: Lake Sam Rayburn Property [Re: Bunk Moreland] #10953649 07/02/15 07:00 PM
K
karpbuster Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Originally Posted By: Bunk Moreland
Originally Posted By: karpbuster

I believe you are actually describing the "new" rules. The brush by the water stuff was the SOP for the corps for years, but the last couple years, we were told the same thing about 1" diameter, etc.

That being said, we do what we want. If someone from the corps tries to give us [censored], I'll just point them to the 200 other properties around Rayburn Country and other communities where people manicured their lawn perfectly all the way to the water.

So you clear the trees out everything?

"Love is something more stern and splendid than mere kindness."

"All that we call human history--money, poverty, ambition, war, prostitution, classes, empires, slavery--[is] the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy." � C.S. Lewis

C.S. Lewis
Re: Lake Sam Rayburn Property [Re: TxStLipRipper] #10954471 07/03/15 02:00 AM
Knot Normal Offline
Angler
Angler
The place I was referring to was tiger creek. Those folks were sold waterfront property and it turned out it wasn't , at least as far as the corps was concerned. There was a big stink about it a few years ago and one fellow I know personally says its a constant problem for them. Of course the big lawyers and the folks at twin dikes and rayburn country don't seem to be affected.

Randy

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide