Print Thread
Texas lake and pulling water #10923491 06/17/15 07:56 PM
D
Douglas J Online Content OP
TFF Guru
OP Online Content
TFF Guru
D
I've heard people for other parts of the country talk about how good the fishing can get when they are pulling water from lakes.

Why do the fish in our Texas lakes seem to shut down when they are pulling water ?

#MFGA
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Texas lake and pulling water [Re: Douglas J] #10923511 06/17/15 08:03 PM
TIM CLINE Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
It is not that they shutdown but most of our lakes are constant level lakes when current starts to flow the fish move from where people want them to be. Or in many cases when our lakes are moving current it is because of highwater which many times is muddy or has the fish spread out amongst the 20' of new cover. Not sure how many lakes in Texas other than Texoma have a power generation schedule under normal conditions that can create current on a regular basis. Also many of our lakes are stocked with millions of hydrids and stripers which will tend to push many bass off the offshore structure that Bass would normally be on in the summer months!

Re: Texas lake and pulling water [Re: TIM CLINE] #10923553 06/17/15 08:16 PM
senko9S Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: TIM CLINE
It is not that they shutdown but most of our lakes are constant level lakes when current starts to flow the fish move from where people want them to be. Or in many cases when our lakes are moving current it is because of highwater which many times is muddy or has the fish spread out amongst the 20' of new cover. Not sure how many lakes in Texas other than Texoma have a power generation schedule under normal conditions that can create current on a regular basis. Also many of our lakes are stocked with millions of hydrids and stripers which will tend to push many bass off the offshore structure that Bass would normally be on in the summer months!

well said, and they suspend making them inactive and hard to catch for most.

Re: Texas lake and pulling water [Re: Douglas J] #10923590 06/17/15 08:30 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
One other thing I have seen numerous times on Fork, particularly early in the year. The water temp drops rapidly when SRA begins pulling water. My theory is that the outflow causes a mixing effect. Warmer surface water and cooler water from the lake bottom get mixed and the syrface temp drops. I've seen Fork water temps drop almost 10 degrees in a 24 hour period after the gates were opened in the Spring.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Texas lake and pulling water [Re: Douglas J] #10923606 06/17/15 08:39 PM
04champ Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I think on other lakes (you're probably talking about the Tennessee River chain), when they pull water they are not actually dropping the lake level. They move water through the entire chain, and the current causes the fish to set up in more predictable areas.

Here, when they pull water, the fish typically have to escape from falling water levels causing them to move out and suspend.

Re: Texas lake and pulling water [Re: fouzman] #10923626 06/17/15 08:48 PM
senko9S Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: fouzman
One other thing I have seen numerous times on Fork, particularly early in the year. The water temp drops rapidly when SRA begins pulling water. My theory is that the outflow causes a mixing effect. Warmer surface water and cooler water from the lake bottom get mixed and the syrface temp drops. I've seen Fork water temps drop almost 10 degrees in a 24 hour period after the gates were opened in the Spring.

this is true.

Re: Texas lake and pulling water [Re: Douglas J] #10923632 06/17/15 08:51 PM
C
Chris G Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Here's what I was told that makes the most sense. When you hear or see on TV during a BASS tourney how they were just waiting for them to start "generating" or "pulling water" for those fish to turn on, it's because those fish have been around that type of activity all their lives and have figured out how to use it to their advantage by positioning where the bait is going to coming right to them.

On the flip side, our lakes are stagnant outside of the power plant lakes so when the fish all of sudden have current they typically are not used to it and it causes them to just sit around going "WTH is going on?" instead of wanting to eat. Another example I can give would be on Monticello. You ask anyone out there that has been fishing the lake for any amount of time what happens when they first start generating after not generating for a while. The answer will be the same....those fish go crazy! It's because they have been used to steady current being the norm for years.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Texas lake and pulling water [Re: 04champ] #10923633 06/17/15 08:51 PM
BaylorLipRipper Offline
Angler
Angler
Originally Posted By: 04champ
I think on other lakes (you're probably talking about the Tennessee River chain), when they pull water they are not actually dropping the lake level. They move water through the entire chain, and the current causes the fish to set up in more predictable areas.

Here, when they pull water, the fish typically have to escape from falling water levels causing them to move out and suspend.

Dropping water levels are whole different ballgame than flowing current with stable levels.

+1

Last edited by BaylorLipRipper; 06/17/15 08:51 PM.
Re: Texas lake and pulling water [Re: Douglas J] #10923651 06/17/15 08:57 PM
BMCD Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I don't think current is created on massive and wide reservoirs. Maybe in certain areas. Current causes the fish to be active, they have to swim to stay in one spot, expend energy.

Re: Texas lake and pulling water [Re: BMCD] #10923685 06/17/15 09:06 PM
senko9S Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
current is in all texas lakes. it creates saturated oxygen that starts a food chain.

Re: Texas lake and pulling water [Re: BaylorLipRipper] #10923725 06/17/15 09:17 PM
M
MagFluker Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: BaylorLipRipper

Dropping water levels are whole different ballgame than flowing current with stable levels.

+1

Yup, I don't think it's a TX thing.

I have seen the bite turn on when they push water from Lake Travis through Lake Austin, but it's a river lake and they are used to the current, fish will stack in different areas compared to the norm, just have to find them.

Kyle in NC

PB 11.1

Re: Texas lake and pulling water [Re: MagFluker] #10923806 06/17/15 09:49 PM
04champ Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: MagFluker

+1

I have seen the bite turn on when they push water from Lake Travis through Lake Austin, but it's a river lake and they are used to the current, fish will stack in different areas compared to the norm, just have to find them.

yup, the fishing changed a lot on Austin when Travis got so low for the last several years and they weren't able to move as much water through

Re: Texas lake and pulling water [Re: senko9S] #10924070 06/17/15 11:45 PM
BMCD Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Sure, but not from dam release. Rayburn, Toledo Bend, Conroe, prolly not the case. I'm sure there are a few this effect of then dam release causing the fish to bite. But not like tidal waters and river type impoundments. Large massive reservoirs don't get that type of current.

I dunno.

Re: Texas lake and pulling water [Re: MagFluker] #10924209 06/18/15 01:07 AM
T
T54 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
Originally Posted By: MagFluker

+1

They definitely bite better on Austin and Dunlap when water is moving.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide