catslayer Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted By: RedRaider3933
Originally Posted By: Stompy
Originally Posted By: Panhandle
Originally Posted By: 206champion
Bill needs to move west more and give the lakes some water but it's moving very slow

I sure was hoping it would move slow over Ivie and Breckenridge and their watersheds. bang

Only .80 here in Breckenridge from Bill,,too far East for us I think.

Just looking at the radar it looks like it is going to creep just enough west to dump on Breckenridge for quite a while if the rotation stays the same.

HOPING SO... if it could move 100 miles west it will do a LOT of good... but idk, I hope it roles on back south and west from where it is... Wondering inf the Edwards plateau and the cap-rock might stop it... dumb geological formations...

"I'll never mess with bee's or wasp anymore, and I'll never gig another beaver..." Words from a man who learned things the hard way
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Rain for West Texas [Re: catslayer] #10922746 06/17/15 03:47 PM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Hubbard Creek isnt catching much but is below 20 foot low now! 19.98 low at 9:15am. First time in 2 years banana

Re: Rain for West Texas [Re: 9094] #10922824 06/17/15 04:19 PM
Stompy Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: 9094
Hubbard Creek isnt catching much but is below 20 foot low now! 19.98 low at 9:15am. First time in 2 years banana

Seen that this morning. Fishing sucks but at least we have some water..

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: Rain for West Texas [Re: Phototex] #10922865 06/17/15 04:34 PM
R
RonL Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Lake Ivie is a long ways of filling up . That main storm dumping 6" + would have to hover over Ivie for a couple days or more to fill it up . Ivie nearly went completely dry back in the drought . Reports on the local weather channel says Ivie is still way down from being full . Problem with Ivie is it does not have the proper clay bottom to hold moisture long so it evaporates quickly frown . It's still down 43 ft.

http://www.lakelevels.info/?StateID=TX

RonL
Re: Rain for West Texas [Re: RonL] #10923058 06/17/15 05:36 PM
Caymas Cx 21 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: RonL
Lake Ivie is a long ways of filling up . That main storm dumping 6" + would have to hover over Ivie for a couple days or more to fill it up . Ivie nearly went completely dry back in the drought . Reports on the local weather channel says Ivie is still way down from being full . Problem with Ivie is it does not have the proper clay bottom to hold moisture long so it evaporates quickly frown . It's still down 43 ft.

I don't guess I remeber it ever getting near completely dry, it was around 50ft low last year but we still unloaded boats, lots of boats on the lake at that time. Evaporation isn't near the problem as this big pump by my house sending it to Midland-Odessa and San Angelo.

Re: Rain for West Texas [Re: Phototex] #10923177 06/17/15 06:14 PM
P
pil,b Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Midland,Odessa and Big Spring should be getting water from J.B. Thomas which will help a lot. Abilene will be able to start pulling from PK in 6 months or so and would help also.Would love to see Ivie catch 20-30 ft of water. Is Angelo getting water from the wells near Brady that was planned to start this year? fish

Re: Rain for West Texas [Re: RonL] #10923181 06/17/15 06:15 PM
C
catslayer Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C

??? what the heck are you smoking man....

First evaporation happens at the SURFACE... bottom content has nothing to do with it. Thats why some places move water into one place (pump twin buttes into Nasworthy) to limit the amount of surface area and this helps with evaporation loss. Bottom content would effect the ability to of a dam to hold the water in, I've heard of instances where the porous soil actually allowed water around and UNDER the dam and this caused it to be less effective at holding water. You see this issue in many stock tanks that are poorly designed(#justdigahole)

Second, Ivie never gotten down where you couldn't put a boat in... 50 foot low but a LONG way from dry....

Lastly, 21xs, why don't you go look at the total water loss for the area by evaporation... then compare it to the amount being sucked out...

Evaporation is ABSOLUTELY the issue, NOT the pump stations, the pump stations % wise is literally a drop in the bucket... Go compare them, talk to some civil engineers... then get back with us...

Yes it is water taken out, which I don't like, but these were designed to hold water to use... not just as fishbowls... fishing is secondary to public health. I promise I have talked to some guys who do a LOT of water system design... He has run over the math with me more than once. I didn't want to believe it but I promise the VAST majority of water loss is due to evaporation. That being said, I hope stricter water use laws are put in STATEWIDE from this drought to help protect all our resources.

Last edited by catslayer; 06/17/15 06:19 PM.

"I'll never mess with bee's or wasp anymore, and I'll never gig another beaver..." Words from a man who learned things the hard way
Re: Rain for West Texas [Re: Phototex] #10923206 06/17/15 06:25 PM
P
pil,b Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
On a 100 degree day with wind have heard evaporation will pull 1" of water from a lake. fish

Re: Rain for West Texas [Re: catslayer] #10923295 06/17/15 06:58 PM
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: catslayer

??? what the heck are you smoking man....

First evaporation happens at the SURFACE... bottom content has nothing to do with it. Thats why some places move water into one place (pump twin buttes into Nasworthy) to limit the amount of surface area and this helps with evaporation loss. Bottom content would effect the ability to of a dam to hold the water in, I've heard of instances where the porous soil actually allowed water around and UNDER the dam and this caused it to be less effective at holding water. You see this issue in many stock tanks that are poorly designed(#justdigahole)

Second, Ivie never gotten down where you couldn't put a boat in... 50 foot low but a LONG way from dry....

Lastly, 21xs, why don't you go look at the total water loss for the area by evaporation... then compare it to the amount being sucked out...

Evaporation is ABSOLUTELY the issue, NOT the pump stations, the pump stations % wise is literally a drop in the bucket... Go compare them, talk to some civil engineers... then get back with us...

Yes it is water taken out, which I don't like, but these were designed to hold water to use... not just as fishbowls... fishing is secondary to public health. I promise I have talked to some guys who do a LOT of water system design... He has run over the math with me more than once. I didn't want to believe it but I promise the VAST majority of water loss is due to evaporation. That being said, I hope stricter water use laws are put in STATEWIDE from this drought to help protect all our resources.

I don't dispute at all that evaporation isnt a problem, it really is when it's hot and windy at the same time. During the fall and winter I wouldn't think evaporation wouldnt be near as bad as the hotter summer months. I do know one thing, that pump over here is running all the time, all year long. I'm sure your engineers are never wrong at anytime and when you find one that's 100% correct everytime then get back with us. There are several reasons why this lake falls and falls, I watched it fall six to eight inches per week during the summer months.

Re: Rain for West Texas [Re: Phototex] #10923372 06/17/15 07:17 PM
E
elm creek Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
E
The pumps are a problem and evaporation is a problem, the biggest problem is we can`t get the right rain in the right spot for a long enough period of time.

Re: Rain for West Texas [Re: elm creek] #10923380 06/17/15 07:18 PM
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: elm creek
The pumps are a problem and evaporation is a problem, the biggest problem is we can`t get the right rain in the right spot for a long enough period of time.

This^^^^^^

Re: Rain for West Texas [Re: Phototex] #10923449 06/17/15 07:42 PM
R
RonL Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
I know there are pumps sending water out to main cities . I live in West Texas and been here 40 years and i have fished Ivie myself but not a favorite spot of mine . Local area is covered in rattlesnakes and when it rains theyt head for high ground and i found then coming to my campsite when i stayed there . I chose to no longer camp at that lake for that reason . I had a friend that was building a large home not far from the bank and last i heard they sold the home and moves cause the water got down so low they could not reach water with a boat and water was over 100yds from their dock . I have not been there in over 10 years now and even at that time the lake was down below the shoreline and some kids decided to walk the shoreline and found what they thought were big worms , picked them up and worms started biting them so they threw them down . Turned out they were baby rattlers so they had to rush one child to SanAngelo cause it was the closest place that could treat snake bites . I have no idea where anyone was landing boats cause anyone i talked to said they could not get a boat to water and that's what i'm going by and last i heard that was back last summer .

And not to make anyone mad or upset but if you never think evaporation has anything to do with loss of water from any body of water in Texas then you better go back and study lake evaporations or even just evaporations alone . I been out of school since 1970 and even then science taught about evaporations . Also to if you don't agree about pool or lake bottoms not having any clay in the bottom then you need to study up on what makes water stay in pools and lakes .

The only thing that keeps any lake or pool full is constant rain and water runoff that leads into lakes and pools . When it hasn't rained hardly any in the past 5 years don't tell me that if those pumps were shut off that the lakes would still be full ??!

RonL
Re: Rain for West Texas [Re: RonL] #10923614 06/17/15 08:43 PM
9094 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
I think maybe you forgot a lot about science since 1970. noidea

Re: Rain for West Texas [Re: 9094] #10923830 06/17/15 09:58 PM
R
RonL Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Originally Posted By: 9094
I think maybe you forgot a lot about science since 1970. noidea

Actually i hated science back then. Maybe now it's what they call "Global Warmwing"?? ........

RonL
Re: Rain for West Texas [Re: Phototex] #10924104 06/18/15 12:01 AM
B
B.K.S. Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Evaporation plays into the problem,but people wanting to water everything they have anytime they want to is the biggest problem we have.Every city that draws water from a lake wants all the the other cities to conserve water just not them,it's a we have to use our share before it's gone thought process.I see that in the town not far from my lake,they have to use it before Abilene does.Until the people get serious about water conservation in west Texas we will always be in a drought and Hubbard and Ivie have the same problem not enough rain in the right spot for a long enough time.JMO

B.K.S.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide