Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Upper Laguna Madre/CC Bay-Fish were kinda biting #10917875 06/15/15 02:19 PM
TOO Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
SonOne, SonTwo and self drove up, walk in & fished the CC Bay & Upper Laguna waters on Juune 12th-13th. We were potlickers freelining live shrimp & as such we tried to stay from the elitist back lake scooter running/casting deck platform shore running douches that are forced to allow us to fish their waters.

Tide was way up 6"-12" high in the mornings, and fishing was tougher than expected. We ended up catching about 25 trout between the 3 of us first morning and about 15-18 on the second morning and as usual SonOne & SonTwo whupped up on self. Self made a big mistake and suggested an area that usually holds lots of fish but it didn't & we burned an hour and 1/4 in that area. Keeper sized trout were marginal, probably could have kept 7-8 that were right at 15" but chose not keep them except one 16"-ish. No reds of any note, couple little farts, and we did lose a couple probably nice black drum based on the bite & fight and as its unusual to lose Blackies, that was frustrating.

High tide was in the morning and if had to do all over again would fish a bit tighter & shallower in the areas we fished. Fish were definitely scattered with the higher than normal tides but self made some oops choices on location, but that's fishing and we had a blast fishing all together for the first time in 2015.

For those looking for fishing report details: the deeper cuts with the higher tides along the eastern shore of CC bay held small trout and the cuts further out along the bay were not holding fish at all at high tide. Small rout were caught along & out from the grass line in knee to waist deep water. Live shrimp free lined was the tonic of choice and we did better than the other 12 folks out there by a long shot. Matter of fact we spent 20 minutes at least answering questions and we were happy to try to give those fishermen some ideas to catch more fish.

Slow fishing a deeper hole in the ULM with a couple possible Blackies hooked and lost. Other fishermen kayaked and fished the grass flats way out towards the spoil islands and caught good reds in the potholes and grass lines. Wadable area but not close, probably 600-1000 yards from parking if not more.

Got some video from the new Sony Action Cam and as soon its figured out on how to get on the 'Net will try to post it. Probably the most exciting video ever of a 15 y.o. catching a 15"-16" trout. grin

Read on another post of blue crabs and agree with comment have not seen so many mature crabs in a along time. They were everywhere in the grass and we watched a guy catch two huge ones on a soft plastic paddle tail. We gonna seriously crab here after the storms.

Last edited by TOO; 06/15/15 08:57 PM.
Re: Upper Laguna Madre/CC Bay-Fish were kinda biting [Re: TOO] #10918823 06/15/15 09:00 PM
TOO Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Edited the title.............. posted w/o proof reading it

SonTwo video Warning!!!! extremely exciting video
Seriously, opinion on video quality is appreciated. Got to fine tune camera placement.

[img]http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss62/TOOSA/th_MAH00019_zpsoasn4z9h.mp4[/img]

Re: Upper Laguna Madre/CC Bay-Fish were kinda biting [Re: TOO] #10919207 06/16/15 12:46 AM
B
B_vandy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Nice video Too little trout was putting up a fight in close.. Thanks for the report as well. The wife and I are headed down to spend a week in Port A next week I know the storms are going to make it tough.. Have you heard of anything happening on the Jettys/surf side of the island? I don't mind wadding but my wife doesn't like it so I was hoping for a good report from these areas but I can't seem to find anything..

[Linked Image]PB 38# May 05 [Linked Image] 33# May 05[Linked Image]38 3/4" x 23 3/8" Aug 11
Re: Upper Laguna Madre/CC Bay-Fish were kinda biting [Re: B_vandy] #10921207 06/16/15 09:59 PM
TOO Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: B_vandy
Nice video Too little trout was putting up a fight in close.. Thanks for the report as well. The wife and I are headed down to spend a week in Port A next week I know the storms are going to make it tough.. Have you heard of anything happening on the Jettys/surf side of the island? I don't mind wadding but my wife doesn't like it so I was hoping for a good report from these areas but I can't seem to find anything..

Surf was very sporty 4'+ but very clean last weekend, could see feet in waist deep water and is still like that now from the PINS cam. TS Bill is heading in and Swell Info shows the seas dropping by next week to manageable seas. N Jetty is holding trout and lots of Mangos from a true locals report. Also heard of a lot of Smacks and some Jacks and kings running the deeper section of the N jetty.

Let the seas drop a bit back to normal and you'll see NJ fishing be back like it usually is. Surf is going to take bit more flatness to make it really fishable, however the water was and is still really clean. Virtually no Sargassum weed at all. So if you want to try the surf it should be clean for trout, but the waves might still be jumpers on the 2nd bar.
We're going to target the S. jetty during a stretch here coming up and depending on the swells will either fish for large reds or fish for variety of fish, trout, Mangos, sheepies, reds, etc. This is at two completely different areas of the S jetty.

A ton of Gaffies were being caught on the channel piers in Port Aransas, some pushing 5-6 lbs.
Good luck down there. Looks like things are smoothing out a bit by next week.

Re: Upper Laguna Madre/CC Bay-Fish were kinda biting [Re: TOO] #10921475 06/17/15 12:08 AM
B
B_vandy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Thanks Too.. I've got a game plan in mind but it all depend on what I see when I get there it's nice to have alittle heads up on what is going on the jettys and freelined shirmp for mangos and trout is my go to for the wife I was hopin for some flatter surf to try for small sharks and bull reds cuz she like somthing that pulls.. I might venture out to the end of the jettys and sling some big spoons for kings of the water looks good. Again thanks for the info. And thanks for you work out our Tuna trips..

[Linked Image]PB 38# May 05 [Linked Image] 33# May 05[Linked Image]38 3/4" x 23 3/8" Aug 11
Re: Upper Laguna Madre/CC Bay-Fish were kinda biting [Re: TOO] #10950871 07/01/15 02:19 PM
B
BODA Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Quote:
We were potlickers freelining live shrimp & as such we tried to stay from the elitist back lake scooter running/casting deck platform shore running douches that are forced to allow us to fish their waters.

YIKES, settle down man

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide