Page 1 of 2 1 2
Wheeler Branch #10909569 06/11/15 12:06 AM
C
cody.sandhoff Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C

Anyone been out to wheeler branch lately.

How's the water? Fishing etc? May go out Sunday afternoon on the way home from helping my parents move. Any suggested launch points for kayaks? Also, what fees are associated with the park and do they pertain to kayaks?

"No pressure, no diamonds. We compete, we win. We are Baylor. Baylor we are, Baylor we'll always be" -RG3

Sic'em Bears c/o '13

Re: Wheeler Branch [Re: cody.sandhoff] #10909642 06/11/15 12:44 AM
J
JOED214 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
$8.00 to launch a kayak. Havnt been out there lately but it is a great little lake for kayaks. It can get rough in a hurry though with a little wind.

Re: Wheeler Branch [Re: cody.sandhoff] #10910020 06/11/15 02:56 AM
S
skeeteroneal Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Was out there today. Real slow. I caught a couple and lost 1. Everybody I talked to today was struggling. Bill Wilcox was filming out there today. He was still out there when I left after lunch. I like that lake but it does give me a piece a humble pie ESP this time of year

David O'Neal
Skeeterless for now frown
1998 Xpress H56
Hobie Outback
Jackson Kayak Coosa Elite

Re: Wheeler Branch [Re: cody.sandhoff] #10910186 06/11/15 04:26 AM
C
cody.sandhoff Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Thank yall.

"No pressure, no diamonds. We compete, we win. We are Baylor. Baylor we are, Baylor we'll always be" -RG3

Sic'em Bears c/o '13

Re: Wheeler Branch [Re: cody.sandhoff] #10910305 06/11/15 11:12 AM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I saw something last Saturday I had heard about that occurs in late evenings in warmer weather often out near the little island but that I had never seen: LMBs on Wheeler schooling up chasing bait fish.

It was around 8 AM and we had floated down toward the dam and just made the turn to head down the dam to fish the rip rap and I saw not one but two large circles of very active fish boiling up the water. Both pods of fish popped up about 100 feet away from the "keep back floats" there near the spillway in the center of the dam, so likely some of the deepest water on the lake.

I would guess that each grouping was about 30 feet wide so that would be about 700 square feet for each one of them. If you can imagine one fish per square foot, that would be equivalent to 700 fish blowing up on top waters, that is sort of how each pod looked. It lasted for about 20 minutes I guess. 700 X 2 = 1400 and I guess it is possible.

The sad part? I am basically a plastic worm finesse guy; fishing partner David threw a top water (Yellow Magic) he had on a second reel and he never got a bite. As a matter of fact, we both got skunked the whole day.

Fishing has been super tough out there for a month now, but dang it, it is just such a great lake for canoes and kayaks.

We chat with the kayakers and the boats when we pass. Those with electronics say they can see the fish in slightly deeper water but hard to attract a bite.

There seem to be almost no fish in the shallows inside or outside a lake with lots and lots of vegetation lines.

I guess they are all "in school" for now. Whoever can figure out that puzzle is going to catch a lot of fish.

My guess is things will settle out to normal patterns pretty quickly.

Ideas on how best to fish what I described, anyone? And, any ideas on deep water jigging. big worms/ deep diving crankbaits, etc. if all the fish are out deep???

Bill Wilcox will likely have some answers but the delay in seeing the episode might be too late to employ any of them this season. Things change.

Brad

Last edited by Brad R; 06/11/15 11:17 AM. Reason: add
Re: Wheeler Branch [Re: cody.sandhoff] #10910740 06/11/15 02:46 PM
G
Grease Bath Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
G
Me and a buddy caught those schoolers pretty good on Tuesday, definitely some of the chunkiest schooling bass I have seen in a while.

Re: Wheeler Branch [Re: Brad R] #10910769 06/11/15 02:58 PM
B
bert Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Brad R
Ideas on how best to fish what I described, anyone?

Switch to jigging spoons, swim baits(sassy shad) and lipless cranks(rattle trap), treat them just like schooling sand bass or striper and you will catch them. I have run in to this phenomenon on a couple of bass lakes and have been able to capitalize, you could also throw an alabama rig in them or a tail spinner. If you catch one and he throws up a few shad at the boat you will see what you need to mimic, I have used tiny flukes on a 1/0 hook chicken rigged (split shot, mojo or light carolina rig as some would call it) in situations like this and caught fish.

The key is if they are suspending and still actively feeding in that area due to water going out the spill way you can adapt to the depth they are with those rigs and catch them. Don't rule out crank baits or drop shot if they are suspending 12-15 feet deep either.

Bert

"Ipsa scientia potestas est"-Knowledge in itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

"Beware the lolipop of mediocrity, one lick and you could suck forever" - unknown author
Re: Wheeler Branch [Re: cody.sandhoff] #10911075 06/11/15 05:37 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Good advice and thank you!

Bass seem to school up like that on some lakes more than others. As I recall, they were letting water out the spillway based on the rushing water sound down there, though my attention, believe me, was on these hundreds of fish busting the water.

The last "big bite" on Wheeler occurred when they were letting all of the water in at the inlet and Dave at the front gate said they were catching numbers and size there. Some HS kids were catching them on crankbaits.

I think the fish were staging up and into the current of water and it was good fishing there for days.

We are learning something about Wheeler after the pre-spawn/spawn/post-spawn periods.

Thanks again for the input.

Brad

Re: Wheeler Branch [Re: Brad R] #10911641 06/11/15 10:17 PM
J
JOED214 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
I do best with big flutter spoons and clear zara spooks........

Re: Wheeler Branch [Re: cody.sandhoff] #10911702 06/11/15 10:46 PM
buton Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I will go there next Tuesday. 50% rain chance and cloudy, I hope the fish don't go out there to hide, they will like a cloudy day seems good for a day full of top water action.

Re: Wheeler Branch [Re: cody.sandhoff] #10919538 06/16/15 03:04 AM
buton Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Went out today...

First time on the lake.. Nice no so little lake is quite big with some good fishing holes.

I started to scout the lake and didn't find fish shallow on the back by the trees pitching.

Started to scout along the island and I marked some fish.threw some Carolina but I was getting lots of weeds or vegetation while dragging it at 20 feet. Changed to a dropshot with a fluke watermelon red flake and game on, caught two on a six lb line (first time trying dropshot) .

Went towards the dam and nothing (nice clear water there). Fished the vegetation by the dam and caught one.

Came back to the same spot where I caught in the morning and got two more in Carolina and dropshot.

I moved to other spot on the north east and caught one on dropshot.

Not bad for first time. Hard to fish with a Carolina rig, gets full of weeds and u don't feel nothing and gets heavy. Saw lots of bait fish.

Temp on surface 84f,I think bass are just hiding in all the bottom grass and plants, how can you fish them there,? Any suggestions?

Pm me if you want to share coordinates of where I caught and you can share with me smile

Re: Wheeler Branch [Re: cody.sandhoff] #10919898 06/16/15 01:18 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Buton,

Keep one rod rigged up and ready to go if the fish school up. I saw it and commented on it (above) and I have been told that over the summer, they do it quite often out by the island in the late afternoon toward sunset. Some lakes, they school up, others not so much.

And, tell us how far down did you set your weight below the hook on your drop shot?

A kayaker told me he always can catch a few fish drop shotting in sort of concentric circles around the small island. You will almost always see a boat and/or a kayak out there working the island with the currents running around the dead water created by the island.

The dam at the far end just before it enters that first cove is usually productive, the first cove hasn't been for me, the points going into and out of the coves hold fish, deeper now as has been mentioned.

I haven't done it myself but you might try getting back in that one cove with all of the timber and try a jig.

If ever they let water in via the inlet over by the swimming platform, fish will stage up there in big numbers. If ever they run water out the spillway, they seem to do the same from whatever current is created over by the dam.

How do you like all of that vegetation?

Brad

Re: Wheeler Branch [Re: cody.sandhoff] #10919992 06/16/15 02:00 PM
buton Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
i really liked the lake.. i think i will a regular there now, it is nice not to have ski boats around lol.

i did notice on my graph that schooling action and lots of bait. you could see them disappear on the graph and then they will come back....

they didnt liked my rat l traps or any other crank bait :S

i will probably pay a visit next month again.

Last edited by buton; 06/16/15 02:00 PM.

Re: Wheeler Branch [Re: cody.sandhoff] #10921932 06/17/15 03:26 AM
G
Go Froggin Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
buton it was nice meeting you yesterday. I was in the little white boat. bite got better around 6:30. ended up with 13 boated and several more I lost due to poor hooksets. bang Grass is growing like crazy and has really changed the tactics from past years.

Facebook Pages: Go Froggin and Frog Boat
www.onefrogtwo.com
Re: Wheeler Branch [Re: Go Froggin] #10926980 06/19/15 01:18 AM
buton Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Go Froggin
buton it was nice meeting you yesterday. I was in the little white boat. bite got better around 6:30. ended up with 13 boated and several more I lost due to poor hooksets. bang Grass is growing like crazy and has really changed the tactics from past years.

Nice to meet you smile ... really 13? damm i caught 5 all day lol(well a newbie here on that lake)... where were you catching them i saw you went to the back of the two coves.... i had to go early around 6pm...my wife called me lol..i really wanted to stay until 8pm

this is what i saw around the island

i will go back around mid july again a lot.... since my in laws are coming...:)

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide