11266432 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#10905126 - 06/09/15 09:01 AM Vise help
TrentonLee Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Mineral Wells, TX
Still fairly new to fly tying but I have already worn out the vise that came with the cheap starter kit I bought a few months back. I am soon to be in the market for a new one and I'm looking for the best vise under $200. if anyone has any advice or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

#10905265 - 06/09/15 09:48 AM Re: Vise help [Re: TrentonLee]
Bob9 Offline
Pro Angler

Loc: Paris, TX
DanVise, it's half that price!

#10905596 - 06/09/15 12:02 PM Re: Vise help [Re: TrentonLee]
stabgnid Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Tacoma Washington
Peak Vice about $155.00 Made in the USA !!

#10905610 - 06/09/15 12:10 PM Re: Vise help [Re: stabgnid]
J-Moe Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Brenham, TX
Originally Posted By: stabgnid
Peak Vice about $155.00 Made in the USA !!

Peak is considered the work horse and a great purchase.

I purchased the APEX rotary vise from BPS for $115. I love it. Also American made and great customer service.

#10905726 - 06/09/15 12:52 PM Re: Vise help [Re: TrentonLee]
TrentonLee Offline
Outdoorsman

I was just watching and reading some reviews on the Peak Rotary Vise looks like a steal!!! Plus all the awesome accessories you can buy for the sucker. Might be a little while before I can get the thing but I wanted to go ahead and get my feelers out for when the time comes. I think I can limp through until then with the cheap one I'm using now. Looks like the Peak vise with the pedestal breaks down pretty easy for traveling too. That is a big plus for me!

#10907638 - 06/10/15 07:09 AM Re: Vise help [Re: TrentonLee]
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru

Loc: Longview
My local club had a bunch of guys who use Norvise, I couldn't resist. I LOVE IT! It's purdy too. It gets a spot in the living room. smile Norm is Top Notch too!!

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life you´re living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.

#10909627 - 06/10/15 07:33 PM Re: Vise help [Re: TrentonLee]
mbarker68x Offline
Pro Angler

Loc: Killeen, TX
Apex anvil is working for me. Allows me to tie down to a 26 with no problems. Vice will go smaller, but I can't see smaller than that. When I was down in Texas I had a peak, traded it off for the anvil since I tie nothing bigger then a 16 it seems anymore.

#10909992 - 06/10/15 09:48 PM Re: Vise help [Re: TrentonLee]
COFF Offline
TFF Guru

Loc: Carrollton
I was in the same boat as you not long ago, and I got the Renzetti Traveler for around $165. I absolutely love it, as you will any of the ones mentioned above. You won't believe the difference a good quality vice makes compared to the Indonesian piece of junk that comes in your starter kit.
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

-Marcus Tullius Cicero, 63 BC

#10911887 - 06/11/15 07:31 PM Re: Vise help [Re: TrentonLee]
zulo Offline
Outdoorsman

I use Renzetti for last five year.. No issues..

#10912918 - 06/12/15 11:13 AM Re: Vise help [Re: TrentonLee]
kentuckytroutbum Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Oak Point, TX
+10 on the Renzetti Traveler!

#10928776 - 06/19/15 03:59 PM Re: Vise help [Re: TrentonLee]
TrentonLee Offline
Outdoorsman

Now I'm torn...both the Peak and Renzetti seem like great vises

#10928991 - 06/19/15 05:44 PM Re: Vise help [Re: TrentonLee]
Crazy4oldcars Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Silsbee (Southeast Texas)
Tomorrow morning, run in to either bass pro or Cabela's (I think Cabela's is closer to Mineral Wells) and ask to play with each of them. One or the other will feel better to you. That's your vice....er, vise. There will probably be a couple of fellers out front of the fly shop at tables, sharing what they know.
Either one is a good choice.

Kirk

"The cheese in the mousetrap is ALWAYS free"

#10934034 - 06/22/15 09:31 PM Re: Vise help [Re: TrentonLee]
RexW Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Sherman, TX
Originally Posted By: TrentonLee

The best advice you've received is to make a trip to a shop where you can put your hands on the vises. Try to tie a fly on the "finalists" if possible, then pick the one you are most comfortable with.

With that said, a few years ago I was in the same position. I wanted a new vise, but didn’t want to spend too much money. The Renzetti Traveler and the Peak rotary were a couple of my finalists, and both are good vises.

Here’s my take on them, they differ in two distinct areas. You'll need to decide which is most important to you.

The “fit and finish” of all the Renzetti vises is one of the best in the industry. They make a nice high quality tool. I don’t think Peak does as good of a finish job as Renzetti, but it is a workhorse of a vise that will last a lifetime. I know several people that tie a lot of flies on their Peak vises and they’ve been very happy with them. So, how important is the "fit and finish" of your tools to you?

If you’re looking for a clamp style vise then this may not matter, but the weight deference between the two pedestal bases is significant. The Renzetti is made as a travel vise and it has a lighter weight base. The Peak has a heavy and wide base. The Peak is very stable, but it is heavy to travel with. So, what is more important to you, stability or portability?

Good luck!

#10934522 - 06/23/15 08:39 AM Re: Vise help [Re: RexW]
TrentonLee Offline
Outdoorsman

Originally Posted By: RexW

The best advice you've received is to make a trip to a shop where you can put your hands on the vises. Try to tie a fly on the "finalists" if possible, then pick the one you are most comfortable with.

With that said, a few years ago I was in the same position. I wanted a new vise, but didn’t want to spend too much money. The Renzetti Traveler and the Peak rotary were a couple of my finalists, and both are good vises.

Here’s my take on them, they differ in two distinct areas. You'll need to decide which is most important to you.

The “fit and finish” of all the Renzetti vises is one of the best in the industry. They make a nice high quality tool. I don’t think Peak does as good of a finish job as Renzetti, but it is a workhorse of a vise that will last a lifetime. I know several people that tie a lot of flies on their Peak vises and they’ve been very happy with them. So, how important is the "fit and finish" of your tools to you?

If you’re looking for a clamp style vise then this may not matter, but the weight deference between the two pedestal bases is significant. The Renzetti is made as a travel vise and it has a lighter weight base. The Peak has a heavy and wide base. The Peak is very stable, but it is heavy to travel with. So, what is more important to you, stability or portability?

Good luck!

Thanks for all the helpful info. Does the lighter pedestal base on the Renzetti make the vise much more unstable?

#10934682 - 06/23/15 09:37 AM Re: Vise help [Re: TrentonLee]
RexW Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Sherman, TX
Thanks for all the helpful info. Does the lighter pedestal base on the Renzetti make the vise much more unstable?

You're not going to like this response, but whether the weight of the pedestal matters is really a personal preference decision and the type of flies you like to tie should also be considered.

An extreme example are deer hair flies, to get them tight, many tier's put a lot of pressure on their vise. So, a stable vise is important to most serious deer hair tier's (and many of them will even use a clamp vise for the extra stability). On the other end of the spectrum, with many trout patterns, you'll bend the hook before you'll ever move even a lighter weight pedestal base.

I personally like a heavy, stable base, but I ended up buying a vise that weight-wise is between the two you're considering. I've been very happy with it. So, having an extremely heavy base will not be a show stopping issue for all tier's, but there is something really nice about tying on a vise that has one (just ask anyone with a Dyna-King Baracuda banana ).

As for the actual question, no, the Renzetti Traveler is not an unstable vise. If it was, the previous posters that own them would have been cussing them instead of praising them.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 1998-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide