Print Thread
Jetty Fishing #10874164 05/27/15 01:18 AM
O
OUFishing-Sean Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
O
Does anybody have any tips on what to fish for at the jetties this time of year. Will be fishing the Freeport/Quintana jetty saturday. Target species are Redfish, Trout, and Mackerel. Wouldn't mind catching a shark or Jack or something that fights hard. Want to know what lures/baits to use and how/where to use them. If it's slow at the Jetty we'll move to the surf and see what happens there. Any advice is appreciated.

You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
Re: Jetty Fishing [Re: OUFishing-Sean] #10884203 05/30/15 11:28 PM
O
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
O
We went to the Quintana jetty this morning hoping to catch some trout, stayed about an hour. Caught 3 mangrove snapper (all too small) and caught 2 croakers. Would only bite on cut mullet, nothing in shrimp.

Re: Jetty Fishing [Re: OUFishing-Sean] #10887568 06/01/15 05:42 PM
E
eramos Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
E
Ok so firstly it sounds like your going to have to run multiple rods. So we will start with the bait rod for sharks. You're going to want a taller rod to get away from the rocks rigged on bottom. As far as leader set up it depends on the current and wind strength/ direction. Fish finder rig if it is possible or a double drop rig if the situation requires i.e. the wind/current is strong/ blowing/pushing towards the rocks. Although if you have a sliding sinker rig with a nice weight style (pyramid/spider) you could do the fish finder rig regardless.
As for bait nothing beats live piggy perch or mullet(cut or live) One time I found a school of spanish (fish tacos) on a fish finder rig with a nice live palm mullet and killed it all afternoon while everyone else was muggin smile.
As for speck/mangrove/sheepshead (close to the rocks) I would rig up a nice bass type rod with a size 1 circle hook with a loop knot, a split shot about 5- 10 inches about the hook,and a small float with some pline floruclear spooled on. Or you could skip the float and split shot and free line. Just keep it simple or else its going to get expensive. As for bait I would match what is swimming around, I like fresh dead shrimp, live shrimp, and finger mullet if you can come by it.
Let me know if you want me to clarify or expand on anything.
-E.

Re: Jetty Fishing [Re: OUFishing-Sean] #10889437 06/02/15 01:15 PM
O
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
O
What you described is what we were doing, we were fishing the rocks for flounder and sheepshead/mangroves while having a long shark rod out to try to catch a large red or shark, but still nothing but except 3 mangroves and 2 croakers.

Re: Jetty Fishing [Re: OUFishing-Sean] #10903226 06/08/15 05:43 PM
4x4Active Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Right now on jetties. Jack, Spanish, Kings, and trout are really active. None of them will take a bottom rig 90% of the time. You be lucky or they are extremely active for them to take a bottom rig. All of the above fish you can use a float bobber with fluorocarbon leader and treble hook. Use a 6" leader steel leader or so from the leader to the hook when fishing for spanish or king. Jack are not shy of leader so they will also bite the when using a steel leader. Trout are good with just straight fluorocarbon leader. If there are no Kings activiy that day you can also use a 40lb fluorocarbon leader for Spanish. But check the leader after every bite to replace. Bait of choice would be live shrimp. Small and medium. Large are a no go. 2nd choice would be silver spoon. I have limited on spoon alone.

As for gear. The important is the reel itself. You will need a reel with smooth and high drag rate. With low drag... Your not going to stop a Jack or King from spooling you. A 20lb drag is pretty much good to go. You will hear your drag scream when big Jack/King hit ya. A long rod like 9' or higher will be better but I pull in kings/jacks with my 7' rod so its a no problem. We use use floats that can thrown really far. You can tie a 2oz weight to the bottom of the float and throw them out. Make sure it float first.

Dont go to the Quintana jetty go to the other side which is Surfside jetty. Go down 3/4 and you see tons of Vietnamese. Fish near them and youll see what I am talking about. We all basically used the same setup and limit them out.

Revo Inshore Gen3 - Revo NaCL 60HS Gen3 - Shimano Sustain 5000FG - Shimano Stella SW6000

Re: Jetty Fishing [Re: OUFishing-Sean] #10903476 06/08/15 07:18 PM
O
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
O
Thanks a lot

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide