Print Thread
What a circus of an evening... #10900544 06/07/15 04:55 AM
B
brandon f. Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
First the gf wanted to go to the lake for a few hours this afternoon. Ok no problem lets go.

I decided I should take our lab with us. She's 2 years old and a pretty well behaved pup considering she's just a little hyper. She has never been fishing with us before. I thought ok we will only be out for a few hours. It'll be fine.

Well we get all loaded and head to the lake. 20 minuet drive to Naconiche for me. We pull into the ramp area. I get out and undo the bow and as I'm walking to the back of the boat to grab the transom saver and unbuckle I realize "well s$&t I left the boat keys on the key hook by the front door. Wonderful! I hook back up the bow and we leave and head back to the house.

Get home and grab the keys just where I thought they were and head back to the lake. It's about 5 when we get back to the ramp for the 2nd time.

There is a couple of trucks waiting in line when we get there the second time. I get out and undo straps and grab transom saver and throw it all in the truck. I back us down the ramp half way and grab the dang dog and throw her in the boat and the gf backs us the rest of the way down and goes to park the truck.

I'm siting in the boat waiting on the gf to walk down to the dock and the dog is whining like crazy. I'm getting mad trying to make her stop. Finally the gf gets to the boat and we head out to the first spot.

Got the gf set up and finally ready to start fishing. The dog is still whining and I'm swatting at her with my cap to make her hush. I keep fishing.

"SPLASH". Dog goes in. I knew I wouldn't be able to keep her out of the water. Oh well she's a lab I know she swims well. She starts swimming and then heads straight for the bank. Great! So I cut her off with the TM and grab her collar and yank her back in the boat.

After getting that straightened out I'm back to fishing. I make 4 casts and then I hear running water. I'm thinking what the heck is that. Did the dog jump in again??? I turn around and... THE BILGE IS RUNNING. Great! In the mix of a line at the ramp, trying to get the dog loaded in the boat and trading spots with the gf to back us down the ramp I totally forgot to put the dang plug in.

I thought about saying screw it and going home. The dog is still whining and I'm getting super irritated with life right now.

Well we finally made it to dusk and I had salvaged the trip a little bit by catching a few fish and we head back to the ramp. Get to the ramp and there's 8 people standing on the ramp (both lanes) with their "fishing poles and minners" trying to catch fish while people are trying to load their boats. Not to mention they pull a truck up and are just about blocking one ramp. There is clearly a parking lot 30 yards away. I was trying not to get mad and be cool with it and be patient. I remembered then today was free fishing day in texas. That's sure to bring out the deep east texas folks. I'm really surprised some old man didn't jump their butts about slowing down the boat ramp load ups especially as everyone is coming in right at dusk.

Lessons learned today...
1. Motor key is now on its own key ring and in the glovebox of the boat.
2. Dog will never be coming fishing with me again. At least not this year.
3. Always always always do my own routine when prepping for launch. Even when I have help available.
4. Don't go fishing on free fishing day anymore.
5. It's always best to be patient. After all I could've been stuck working.

That's all.

Think I'll go to Pinkston tomorrow... Alone. Lol

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: What a circus of an evening... [Re: brandon f.] #10900550 06/07/15 05:02 AM
T
the skipper Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
I keep a spare set of boat keys in the truck. One of any key to the boat including the hitch lock. It has saved the trip a few times.

Re: What a circus of an evening... [Re: the skipper] #10900555 06/07/15 05:14 AM
B
brandon f. Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: the skipper
I keep a spare set of boat keys in the truck. One of any key to the boat including the hitch lock. It has saved the trip a few times.

The hitch lock is why mine were in the house and not in the boat in the first place. That's been resolved now lol

Re: What a circus of an evening... [Re: brandon f.] #10900598 06/07/15 10:02 AM
S
ScottCook Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Originally Posted By: brandon f.
3. Always always always do my own routine when prepping for launch. Even when I have help available.
5. It's always best to be patient. After all I could've been stuck working.

#3 just trips me out. I truly feel your pain. Takes me two minutes to do my routine alone and 10 minutes when someone helps because I either have to redo or adjust something.

On top of that my SO at least pulls the boat out of the water. After I back and set the trailer in the water I roll all windows down including the back one (Tundra, full roll down back window). I'll pull the boat on, strap, trim up and the wife pulls us up so we're out of the way of the ramp. We rig the boat for travel, I hop in the truck and all the mirrors have been adjusted for the wife. For a 50 to 100 yard straight drive...

#5, definitely an acquired skill.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide