Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Why no noodling? #10895241 06/04/15 05:59 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
C

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Why no noodling? [Re: ChuChu1] #10895438 06/04/15 07:07 PM
D
dmunsie Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Other states respect and consider Flatheads and Blues near or at the top of their game fish list.

Re: Why no noodling? [Re: ChuChu1] #10896411 06/05/15 01:57 AM
B
BrianTx01 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
I have posted this link before. You are preaching to the choir.

I'll give you the short version. Noodling was made legal in Texas because the spoiled brat son of billionaire, Brady Knowlton, used his Daddy's lobbyist to get a bill past directly in the legislature so he could have his own reality show on Animal Planet. It got canceled after 3 shows. His younger brother just received worldwide condemnation for bidding $350K so he could hunt a black rhino. These people use their money to get whatever they want...and they don't care who or what they hurt to get it.

The good thing is I bet Brady Knowlton hasn't noodling one time since his show got canceled...so his money probably won't get in the way of a repeal.

Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2001
Proud UNT Alumni
Re: Why no noodling? [Re: ChuChu1] #10897189 06/05/15 01:58 PM
M
Muzzlebrake Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Well if Noodling wiped out the fish populations as their study claims then there would be no fish whatsoever in Oklahoma, Arkansas or in lake Texoma. Noodling has been a way of life there for generations.
Also there has never been any illegal noodling in Texas before the law was passed. At least on the Texas side of the lake. smile

Last edited by Muzzlebrake; 06/05/15 01:59 PM.

From Genesis: "And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the earth."

Then He made the earth round...and He laughed and laughed and laughed!

Re: Why no noodling? [Re: ChuChu1] #10898109 06/05/15 08:45 PM
C
clk Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Why is it if someone don't like something it always is wrong. Hand fishing is fine if anything change the limits not the method. There's no difference in catching the fish on rod lines or hand it still a limit and you can't argue with that. If we don't get on the the same page as outdoorsman we will not have to worry about anything because all the anti hunters and fishers will get there way one law at a time.

Cooper Lake Trophy Catfishing on Facebook
Re: Why no noodling? [Re: clk] #10898118 06/05/15 08:48 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
C
Originally Posted By: clk
Why is it if someone don't like something it always is wrong. Hand fishing is fine if anything change the limits not the method. There's no difference in catching the fish on rod lines or hand it still a limit and you can't argue with that. If we don't get on the the same page as outdoorsman we will not have to worry about anything because all the anti hunters and fishers will get there way one law at a time.

The difference is in the limits. Twenty five 2 to 5 pound fish vs, twenty five 10 to 50 pound fish.

I used to feel the same as you do about sportsmen getting on the same page. I guess with you, that makes two of us.

Re: Why no noodling? [Re: ChuChu1] #10898155 06/05/15 09:03 PM
C
clk Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
You can't keep but 5 flatheads and they have to be over 24 in I think could be wrong usally only keep one a year. Some blues will get caught but not near as many as people think. Most blues spawn and move out before most people get started good me included I like the fun of it and cold water is not fun to me.

Cooper Lake Trophy Catfishing on Facebook
Re: Why no noodling? [Re: ChuChu1] #10898349 06/05/15 11:00 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
C
I don't see anything wrong with noodling, other than taking the biggest fish when they are in the spawning period. One over 30" and four unders for yellow cat.

Re: Why no noodling? [Re: ChuChu1] #10898353 06/05/15 11:03 PM
O
olenarey87 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
O
I only started noodling last year with mad catter, who I met on this forum. We didn't keep any of the fish we caught. I know there are always going to be greedy people who will want to keep their limit of 5 flatheads regardless of the weight. I think for the most part people who noodle do it for the sport of it.
As said before this is a tradition for some that has been passed down for generations, and could be the start of a new tradition for many of us Texans. I could see a new law being made to limit hand fishers to keep only one fish per day and maybe give it a slot limit also. I know this wouldn't solve all the problems, but it could help.
We all know that there will always be people who catch and keep more than they need, but we as the catfishing community should not make generalizations about people who fish in different ways than we do. I'm sure not every person who runs lines and jugs keep all the large fish they catch. Just like not every person who noodles keep all the fish they catch.
So, basically I think there should be an open mind when discussing these unconventional ways of fishing rather than attacking the people who fish in this way.

Tight lines everybody (or bloody knuckles)

Thanks,
Olen
Re: Why no noodling? [Re: ChuChu1] #10898707 06/06/15 02:44 AM
T
tiny Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
muzzlebreak ... noodling has the fish population lots lower in Oklahoma along with other practices that have oklahoma to where it's got no where near the same healthy fish population as any of those lakes around dallas area ... these are nice deep lakes compared to tawakoni and ray hubbard but we don't have nearly the same kind of big fish poplation in either of those lakes and I've been to a lot of them. You're never going to wipe out all the fish but there's no way it'll ever be as good in oklahoma as it is in texas just because of stuff like noodling and snaglines and lack of cpr ... you talk about cpr to an okie he'll look at you like you're a devil worshiper ... most of them anyhow

When you pull a nesting fish off it's eggs you're not just killing that one big mature fish ... you'[re killing hundreds of prospects. If not thousands ... When I noodled and found large males on eggs it seemed like those egg clusters had thousands of eggs in them .. channelcat seemed to have more than one female's eggs in their nests too cause I've pulled eggs out of some nests and there would be different sized clusters all stuck together like three different females laid their eggs all together ... all of them uniform sized in three different groups suck together. Flathead might be like that too ... accepting eggs from more than one female ... don't know that for sure but remember seeing one nest of flathead eggs that had two different sized eggs in it on each side of the cluster.

Last edited by tiny; 06/06/15 02:52 AM.
Re: Why no noodling? [Re: BrianTx01] #10899119 06/06/15 01:32 PM
H
Honky_Tonk Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
H
Originally Posted By: BrianTx01
I have posted this link before. You are preaching to the choir.

I'll give you the short version. Noodling was made legal in Texas because the spoiled brat son of billionaire, Brady Knowlton, used his Daddy's lobbyist to get a bill past directly in the legislature so he could have his own reality show on Animal Planet. It got canceled after 3 shows. His younger brother just received worldwide condemnation for bidding $350K so he could hunt a black rhino. These people use their money to get whatever they want...and they don't care who or what they hurt to get it.

The good thing is I bet Brady Knowlton hasn't noodling one time since his show got canceled...so his money probably won't get in the way of a repeal.

Well it is certain to me you know nothing about the Knowlton's (Lary, Buck, or Corey). And yes he is still an active noodler.

Re: Why no noodling? [Re: ChuChu1] #10899199 06/06/15 02:28 PM
T
tiny Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
you're right c bledsoe, Just cause something's illegal don't mean they ain't doin it .. I know one texan what was noodling ... he told me bout how he does it legally though but I doubt he'd have gotten away with it ... said he put a plastic worm on the end of a line and ran a pole up in holes he'd found flathead in and pull them out that way. I think that might be stretching the law just a bit hahaha. I think this was evolved from regular noodling though as this was just his latest technique he told me about.

Re: Why no noodling? [Re: clk] #10899215 06/06/15 02:42 PM
Capt. Michael Littlejohn Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: clk

The issue here isn't over harvesting or even harvesting. It's a timing issue. For a few months out of the year these fish break from regular activity and nest...to lay eggs. It's a lengthy process and one that is consistently being challenged by other smaller fish to eat their eggs. When a large fish is pulled off their nest the thrashing and violent movement from the fish destroy the nest and more than likely the opportunity for that fish to spawn at low levels of stress.

It's just not a ecologically thing to do with what's going on.

Michael Littlejohn's Full-Time Lake Tawakoni Guide Service
www.tawakoniguideservice.com
Click HERE for Recent CATCH Photos!

Re: Why no noodling? [Re: ChuChu1] #10899311 06/06/15 03:34 PM
K
kodys'papa Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Nice first post c Bledsoe
Defending that gang to this gang is going to be a tough row to hoe

Hooking a fish is like playing string with a cat. The exact size, shape, color of string matters less than how you wiggle it- and little cats are easier to fool than big ones. John Gierach
Re: Why no noodling? [Re: tiny] #10899323 06/06/15 03:41 PM
M
Muzzlebrake Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Originally Posted By: tiny
muzzlebreak ... noodling has the fish population lots lower in Oklahoma along with other practices that have oklahoma to where it's got no where near the same healthy fish population as any of those lakes around dallas area ... these are nice deep lakes compared to tawakoni and ray hubbard but we don't have nearly the same kind of big fish poplation in either of those lakes and I've been to a lot of them. You're never going to wipe out all the fish but there's no way it'll ever be as good in oklahoma as it is in texas just because of stuff like noodling and snaglines and lack of cpr ... you talk about cpr to an okie he'll look at you like you're a devil worshiper ... most of them anyhow

When you pull a nesting fish off it's eggs you're not just killing that one big mature fish ... you'[re killing hundreds of prospects. If not thousands ... When I noodled and found large males on eggs it seemed like those egg clusters had thousands of eggs in them .. channelcat seemed to have more than one female's eggs in their nests too cause I've pulled eggs out of some nests and there would be different sized clusters all stuck together like three different females laid their eggs all together ... all of them uniform sized in three different groups suck together. Flathead might be like that too ... accepting eggs from more than one female ... don't know that for sure but remember seeing one nest of flathead eggs that had two different sized eggs in it on each side of the cluster.

I can't dive anymore but way back when we pulled all 3 species out of the same hole on the same weekend. As soon as we got one fish out another would be in the hole a few hours later. Catfish are determined to spawn and will do so regardless as long as they can find a suitable spot and they can do this very quickly. Meanest fish in the lake is a 7-8 lb male channel. Suckers will bite you all over and come out and chase you and bite you some more. I have no problem with people noodling but would like to see a one fish per season limit with a bought tag sort of like alligator tag. We used to run a ledge with holes in Texoma near Willis Bridge that was about 200 yds long and from 6 to 30 feet deep. Caught nesting blues in over 20ft of water. Flats and channels always at the shallow end but sometimes every other hole might have a different species in it down to certain depths. I sure wish I was about 30 years younger cause I would be in a hole somewhere right now.

From Genesis: "And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the earth."

Then He made the earth round...and He laughed and laughed and laughed!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide