Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,778
Posts13,952,605
Members144,176
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Stuff I use to Sharpen my Electric Fillet Knife Blades #10889240 06/02/15 09:10 AM
T
tiny Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
I also altered my old American Angler knife blades so they'd work in the new fat handled Berkley knives ... you gotta take the plastic deal off the blades and then cut the slots out on the blades to match the slots on the berkley blades ... This is a photo of 3 blades I've done this to ... to date I've altered most of my blades so that they'll fit in the new knives. The blade on the left is a stock Berkley Blade set and the three to the right are the altered American Angler blades that now fit the new berkley knife.

This is my dremel tool with a cloth buff wheel I use to polish those blades sharp

These are my bars of polishing compound or rouge some dealers call it... the white is on top and it's a little more abrasive than the green ... the green is specifically for stainless steel polishing but it seems to be less abrasive than the white compound ... I just touch the polishing wheel to the bars until I get a good coat of compound on the wheel and then stick the wheel in the groove of each tooth then add more compound and go to the next tooth until I get each tooth saddle sharp and then to get the points sharp I use the cloth wheel on my bench grinder and apply the compound to it then lightly touch the blade to the 6 inch muslin cloth bench grinder wheel and get the teeth points sharp that way. I also have a bit for getting the teeth saddles a better angle or more drastic angle than they have from the factory so that they are easier to sharpen and stay sharper longer that way ... gotta be careful to not heat the blades up when doing this though and dip them in cool or cold water regularly to keep the blades cool ... i dip the blades about 3 to 4 times on each tooth when I'm altering the blade angles and a couple times when sharpening them with the felt or cloth wheels too. this maintains the blade's temper because if you don't keep them cool they'll be ruined and won't be any good to you at all

this is a bag of felt dremel tool polishing wheels 1 inch by 1/4 inch is what they're supposed to be but they're ticker than 1/4 inch and not uniform but doesn't matter ... I can cut them to fit down in the blade teeth real easily. Gotta be carefull when doing this so that you have the wheel turned the right way because if you have it turned the wrong way it'll grab the blade and hurl it or jerk it and you might cut yourself doing it.

the top blade is the one I used to alter the aa blades so they'd fit the berkley knives and the other two bits are the ones I use to alter the angle on the teeth so that they are at a sharper angle instead of about 45 degrees they end up being about 60 or so or a lot more in line with the blade instead of like a more blocky type angle they have when they come from the factory.

Last edited by tiny; 06/02/15 09:21 AM.
Wet Rooster Jigs Fishing Super Store
Re: Stuff I use to Sharpen my Electric Fillet Knife Blades [Re: tiny] #10891004 06/02/15 11:07 PM
stubby77 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Man I need to learn that I go through blades NICE tiny

Re: Stuff I use to Sharpen my Electric Fillet Knife Blades [Re: tiny] #10891809 06/03/15 10:41 AM
S
Sunup Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Just so's you find ways to stay busy. roflmao

Re: Stuff I use to Sharpen my Electric Fillet Knife Blades [Re: stubby77] #10891869 06/03/15 12:05 PM
O
opus Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
O
Originally Posted By: stubby77
Man I need to learn that I go through blades NICE tiny
Isnt there some ol sayin bout ol dogs

Re: Stuff I use to Sharpen my Electric Fillet Knife Blades [Re: tiny] #10891870 06/03/15 12:07 PM
B
basschsr Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
since you have the tools, and you seem to know what your doing, can't we just send our blades to ya for sharpening??!!

Re: Stuff I use to Sharpen my Electric Fillet Knife Blades [Re: tiny] #10892352 06/03/15 03:58 PM
F
Fritz423 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Little too involved for me. I just buy a new knife, blades and all.

Wishin' I was fishin', and dreaming of beer
Re: Stuff I use to Sharpen my Electric Fillet Knife Blades [Re: tiny] #10892362 06/03/15 04:02 PM
T
tiny Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
in a perfect world basschsr .. in perfect world!

Not just so I stay busy ... That would end up being a major expense for me if I didn't resharpen my blades because new blades dull pretty fast for me as they don't have a very good edge to start with anyhow so I'd be buying new blades every week or even sooner with the new berkley knives because they get dull on the first use. Once they've been resharpened with the better angle on the teeth then they'll stay sharp for quite a while. Also dull bladed wear knives out quicker so I'd end up going through knives a lot faster too if I didn't have super sharp blades .. when you polish them sharp they're better than 3 to 5 times sharper than factory blades as I can get them where they'll shave a little. when they're that sharp they're too sharp for a couple of uses but after that they're perfect.

I just posted this info for those who might go through a lot of blades or those who have rapala/berkley slim handled knives that don't have very much power ... getting the blades sharp makes them tolerable to work with... also if someone already has the dremel tool and bits then it's not that hard to get started sharpening your own blades and it's worth it if you do a lot of fishing or fish cleaning I should say ... if you don't ever catch any fish then you wouldn't need to worry about this thread hahaha

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide