Print Thread
Red Snapper Season #10887631 06/01/15 06:08 PM
S
SpeciesFisherman Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
Dose anyone know what happens during these fews weeks of snapper season. I tried to do some research but could not find much information. Thanks.

Fishing is fun and adictive, but always stay safe. Happy Fishing!
How do you add a photo...
Re: Red Snapper Season [Re: SpeciesFisherman] #10887799 06/01/15 07:04 PM
L
Lmgreeri Offline
Angler
Angler
L
"What happens"?
Not sure what you are asking? Basically you are legal to keep red snapper from federal waters for a week. The numbers of snapper has exploded in the Texas waters to the point that they are becoming a major nuisance. I wish they would stop bending us over and just open the season up longer to thin the herd a bit.

Re: Red Snapper Season [Re: SpeciesFisherman] #10888433 06/01/15 11:26 PM
S
SpeciesFisherman Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
S
You still have to follow the bag limits right? I watched some videos and saw some pictures with party boats coming back with many snappers. I don't understand why there are bag limits on snapper they are very plentiful according to the videos I see. Dose anyone have any tips for catching these snapper? I am going on a Charter Boat this Saturday. I am thinking of three companies Dolphin Dock, Fisherman Wharf, and Deep Sea HQ. Anyone have any opinions on these charters. Thank you.

Fishing is fun and adictive, but always stay safe. Happy Fishing!
How do you add a photo...
Re: Red Snapper Season [Re: SpeciesFisherman] #10888506 06/01/15 11:58 PM
T
tunatamer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: SpeciesFisherman
You still have to follow the bag limits right? I watched some videos and saw some pictures with party boats coming back with many snappers. I don't understand why there are bag limits on snapper they are very plentiful according to the videos I see.

The bag limit is two (2) during federal season in federal waters .... Past 9 nm.

Inside 9 nm is considered state waters and the bag limit is four (4) per person .... open 365 days a year.

The videos don't lie and like Lmgeeri said they are so thick they are a nuisance. wink

Dose anyone have any tips for catching these snapper?

Trust me .... you won't need tips for catching them. A dead sardine on a circle hook lasts about 2.6 seconds.

I am going on a Charter Boat this Saturday. I am thinking of three companies Dolphin Dock, Fisherman Wharf, and Deep Sea HQ. Anyone have any opinions on these charters. Thank you.

If you are going with these folks you mentioned you are likely going on a head boat (party boat) and not a charter boat. Just a terminology thing.

And if you haven't already signed up and have reservations it may be too late.

I like all three for different types of fishing. For snapper though I would go with either Dolphin Docks or Deep Sea Hdqtrs.

"still" awesum
Re: Red Snapper Season [Re: SpeciesFisherman] #10889983 06/02/15 04:47 PM
L
Lmgreeri Offline
Angler
Angler
L
Yeah you don't need any special tips or bait to catch snapper. I know of one caught during a tournament last year on a trolled marlin lure.

I had a few rats move into my attic a couple of years ago that I set out traps for. Always joked that you could catch a snapper on anything so I froze the rats and took em offshore. Dropped one and caught a red snapper. They are getting as thick as fleas on a stray dog on most any structure out there.

And as Tunatamer stated...if you don't already have reservations for this weekend you may be out of luck. Even though the head boats get a few more weeks than the rec fishermen those spots will fill up fast. Get on it fast man! Just be prepared to be standing shoulder to shoulder at the rail if you find an open spot.

We are also heading out of Port A this Saturday and will likely grab our 2 each on the way back in from deep dropping for swordfish, grouper & tiles.

Re: Red Snapper Season [Re: SpeciesFisherman] #10924803 06/18/15 08:25 AM
F
Fritz423 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
From Florida to Texas people can't drop a hook without snagging a Red Snapper. Why does the federal fishery not respond to the obvious over abundance of this species?

It's becoming a doggone joke.

Wishin' I was fishin', and dreaming of beer
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide