Print Thread
Thinking about getting a tube, have ?? #10887587 06/01/15 05:51 PM
T
Tipps Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
T
Well I have 2 boats, but today I started thinking about getting a tube as a secondary means of getting on the water. I only crappie fish, and some times I only go to fish bridges, so was wondering if anybody on here uses tubes for bridge fishing? I won't be casting, but I'll be fishing a while, and will move from one column to the next as far as I can stand to paddle. Just makes sense sometimes to not have to hook up to boat and drive and launch when all I will fish is about 100-200 yards in a straight line from the bank. Plus, if I had a pump, I could go at times I may not could get a kitchen pass, maybe...

Questions - is there a certain kind I need to look for? Is keeping it deflated and in the truck at all times a possibility, or is it best to just inflate it and load it when you need it? Is it difficult to fish bridge columns with? I would think with constant paddle control it'd be pretty easy to fish right on the concrete. I used to fish on some styrofoam 1-man boats that we'd paddle (i think my dad carved these dang things out of block styrofoam), but never used a legitimate tube, and they look pretty nice these days. How are they in the wind, since it seems to blow all the time? I would love to keep my tube cost under $200, so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I probably wouldn't carry more than 1 rod, and limited tackle (just some jigs). Is there a certain kind of fin that's better than others?

Look forward to hearing what you guys say.

Re: Thinking about getting a tube, have ?? [Re: Tipps] #10887869 06/01/15 07:35 PM
P
porta Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
P
This will answer most of your questions: http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/10850913/New_tube#Post10850913

For bridge columns, you want to avoid scraping the tube if the surface is rough (even fish barbs and stiff fins can puncture tube). You can tie to the columns on the downwind side with some kind of line float and rig instant quick release on the line, but will swing unless you are close to pilings. Winds over 10 mph in open water can be an issue, so I like to paddle on the most protected side into the wind from launch site. Get seat with great support, above the water if possible for extended use. More details on above link. Keep inflated with pockets packed works best for me- strap tube to top of car or ride inside hatch back vehicle. Inflation/deflation cycle takes time and you want to avoid a leak surprise.

PC
Originally Posted By: Tipps
Well I have 2 boats, but today I started thinking about getting a tube as a secondary means of getting on the water. I only crappie fish, and some times I only go to fish bridges, so was wondering if anybody on here uses tubes for bridge fishing? I won't be casting, but I'll be fishing a while, and will move from one column to the next as far as I can stand to paddle. Just makes sense sometimes to not have to hook up to boat and drive and launch when all I will fish is about 100-200 yards in a straight line from the bank. Plus, if I had a pump, I could go at times I may not could get a kitchen pass, maybe...

Questions - is there a certain kind I need to look for? Is keeping it deflated and in the truck at all times a possibility, or is it best to just inflate it and load it when you need it? Is it difficult to fish bridge columns with? I would think with constant paddle control it'd be pretty easy to fish right on the concrete. I used to fish on some styrofoam 1-man boats that we'd paddle (i think my dad carved these dang things out of block styrofoam), but never used a legitimate tube, and they look pretty nice these days. How are they in the wind, since it seems to blow all the time? I would love to keep my tube cost under $200, so any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I probably wouldn't carry more than 1 rod, and limited tackle (just some jigs). Is there a certain kind of fin that's better than others?

Look forward to hearing what you guys say.

Last edited by porta; 06/01/15 07:40 PM.
Re: Thinking about getting a tube, have ?? [Re: Tipps] #10891321 06/03/15 01:42 AM
T
Tipps Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
T
Thanks Porta

Re: Thinking about getting a tube, have ?? [Re: Tipps] #10897200 06/05/15 02:01 PM
T
Tipps Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
T
I'm leaning towards the Caddis Premier Plus (the yellow one). Is that a decent tube?

What kind of flippers do you guys recommend?

Re: Thinking about getting a tube, have ?? [Re: Tipps] #10897652 06/05/15 05:23 PM
A
Action_Jackson Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
A
Tipps...PM sent

Katchin krappie...doin surgeries(filleting)...and givin hott grease baths until krunchy and golden brown is what it's all about!!!

"STAY ready for the THUMP"!!!!
Re: Thinking about getting a tube, have ?? [Re: Tipps] #10907394 06/10/15 04:35 AM
G
grandpa75672 Offline
G
I bought this one from Pro Bass last year.

Only got to use it once and really got in trouble. First time out I went to South Lake by Farmersville. Small lilly pad filled bass lake. I should have listened to the weather reports but ingored it in my haste to try out the new belly boat.
If the wind is blowing stay on the bank. I got blown clear across the lake about two miles from my vehicle. I was toting
the rig down the road when a nice lady gave me a ride to the parking lot.
I really want to get into it this year. Just waiting for the water to warm up a bit. I can't offer any tips except the
wind. As far as blowing it up I bought an electric pump that plugs into the cigaret light. Doesn't take long to blow it up.
Then again I don't work so I have plenty of time to waste.
Good luck with your purchase and get in too much of a hurry to use the belly boat.

It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.... W.C.Fields

I know a little about a lot of things but not a whole lot about anything....CGD
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide